Catching Rabbits

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
maybe breed them if you have all this time and space? i still wouldnt use wild personally. but set up a hutch or series of hutch's out the back and start breeding. then knock em or gas am at different sizes as your pythons grow.

rabbits are illegal 'pets' in QLD, cant even keep them for breeding. i thought about doing this myself but when the issue is potentially a $30,000 fine for keeping rabbits i'd rather just freight them in. Oh, and buy yourself a freezer instead of filling up your parents freezer...

it will be 10 times less hassle to breed them -
freezing does not necessarily kill all parasites - it can put some parasite eggs into stasis which will hatch when re-heated, similarly, you have no idea of previous infectious diseases that wild rabbits have - there's been some pretty weird biological warfare against rabbits over the last decade - just because the rabbits have managed a partial immunity to most of these diseases doesn't mean they wont adversely affect your snake (short or long term)...and as chantelle said, people regularly use poison bates that can take up to 3 days to have a fatal effect on the rabbit - i guess i'm saying that it's not worth the risk - especially if your snakes are highly bred or bred over a long line and don't have much of a natural immunity...
and you absolutely CANNOT kill rabbits humanely with a slug gun - you'll need a .22 or a .223 - you'd have a more humane attempt with your car keys than a slug gun - i got shot by a slug in the shoulder and it barely went 5mm deep.
A decent sized elliot trap would be good but the whole process is really much more risk than it's worth - you're better to breed the rabbits, just make sure you have something decent to kill them with and remove the bullet immediately to stop the lead from spreading through the blood

I doubt they bait because the cattle property is adjacent national park. Im not too worried about the risk beacause None of the snakes i will feed will be more than $200.

a. National parks are the biggest consumers of poisoned bait - pig, fox and rabbit - national parks use them frequently to maintain the native population, that's why there are often fluro markers on trees in national parks - our property is bordered on three sides by a national park and they always call us to warn us too keep our dogs and livestock away while they are laying bait. Unfortunately for you, you are in a baiting hot-spot.

b. Even if your snakes only cost you $200, their upkeep over the years would amount way more than that - think of combining the enclosure costs with the weekly feeding costs - all this goes way beyond $200. Also, as a pet owner, and a licensed one, you are kind of obligated to keep you're animals alive - sensibly weighing risks. If mum and dad don't like you using their freezer and you can't afford to feed you pets any other way then you need to think about whether or not you are well equipped enough to have these animals as pets....

bobby the slug gun you got shot with sounds like a toy!
do you hunt often with guns?

We are not allowed to have rabbits in Queensland. Even to bred for snakes there is no way around it. If anyone has information on some who sells frozen rabbits that I can get in Brisbane suburbs could you please let me know I am looking for rabbits around 300grms to feed to my 4 year old bredli to give them a break from rats, chickens and quails.

Yeah have to agree... How far away were they when you got shot? Good air rifles will drop rabbits easily ;)

syeph8 its illegal to keep ferrets and rabbits in QLD. so there goes that idea, and our EPA does get upset "if" they come across them in captivity.....solar 17 [Baden]

I used to do a lot of rabbit removal on the family farm. Saw enough disease and parasites to steer clear of them for reptile food.

If you really wanted to go for rabbits why not try ferreting?

lettuce brother... lettuce would be the first thing to try.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back