my new GTF's. please help :)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frogfriend

Reaction score
I am hopefully getting green tree frogs soon, and i need some info.

Q1) what is the best substrate to use?

Q2) can GTF's go with dwarf tree frogs?

Q3) What heating/lighting do they need?

Q4) is it good to have a filter?

can anyone please help and if you can also give me some other info about how to care for them and some good setup ideas. If you have pictures it would be helpfull to.;)

going by the dwarf tree frogs name, im guessing there smaller than gtf;s. So i suggest you might not want to house those two species together as the GTF'S may eat the Smaller Sized Frogs

A1) peat coir
A2) no
A3) depending on the room temps will depend on if you need heating, you will need a 5.0% UVA and UVB globe
A4) yes

if you would like some pics of my frog enclosures, Pm me your email and i can email you some pics :) :) :)
Cheers

I use the peat too, but as a base, and then put large river pebbles on top. This way the frogs don't end up with the peat all over them, but it's good for absorbing smell and frog poo.

I wouldn't keep the dwarfs in with GTF's. I kept any smaller GTF's seperate untill they've grown up, as my bigger ones still tried to eat them through the glass, so wouldn't trust them at all. They are greedy guts, and if it's possible to fit in their mouths they'll try.

Yeah UV and heating. I use a UV fluro over the top (remembering UV wont go through glass/plastic) and use a water heater in the water section. This way they have heaps of water to share and it's kept warm, and keeps the humidity up too.

I also use a small water filter. But if your water area/bowl is smaller then changing water daily would be fine.

I have also used the peat as a sub layer with repti-bark on the top, I did find though that it harbours bacteria when not changed frequently which can get expensive, your better off imo having hard surfaces that are easy to keep clean.

Good luck Gex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back