Huge Collection of Snake Specimens Destroyed in Brazil Lab Fire

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

elapid68

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Published On: 5-16-2010
Source: Latin American Herald

SAO PAULO – A fire destroyed on Saturday 82,000 snake specimens, considered the largest collection of tropical serpents in the world, as well as thousands of other reptiles, spiders and scorpions at Brazil’s prestigious Butantan Institute laboratory in Sao Paulo.

Go to Original Article

Imagine the years it would have taken to get a collection like that together, it must be heartbreaking for the researchers! All that work gone, all those years!

Thats how my specimen collection ended, though it was deliberate.... also it was outdoors....

famaldahide...(not sure of spelling) i used to have a collection of human heads, thats what they were in..

Shrunken heads or normal ones??

normal ones, in perpex boxes, i had 1 human head(h.bartle was his name died in 1966) & i had 2 x 20 month old fettuses(unborn baby's) a liver, a kidney... all sorts of body parts, a friend stole them from sydney uni,i payed $100 for them, unfortunily the fedral police took them...

They are probably in 70% ethanol - formaldehyde (formalin) is used to 'fix' the tissues for a few weeks before permanent storage in alcohol. Leave them in formalin for too long and they become useless for dissection or further work because the tissues become very hard.

J.

normal ones, in perpex boxes, i had 1 human head(h.bartle was his name died in 1966) & i had 2 x 20 month old fettuses(unborn baby's) a liver, a kidney... all sorts of body parts, a friend stole them from sydney uni,i payed $100 for them, unfortunily the fedral police took them...

...thats an interesting collection... and no disrespect intended here (especially towards someone who doesnt mind having severed heads on display).. but why?

sounds futuramaish, lol,..

im confused, how does a foetus get to 20 months without being an 11 month old child?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back