New Enclosure for my BHP

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MS3368

Not so new Member
Reaction score
During my visit to Adelaide, I managed tp pick up this cabinet from everyones favourite Swedish Home Shop IKEA. The cabinet was originally $449 but was going out on special for only $199 so thought I would snap it up, as it will make the perfect housing for my new female BHP. The dimensions are 1100w x 510d x 1320h.

I plan on making it into a two level enclosure with the top 2/3 representing the ground level and the lower 1/3 representing a cave/burrow environment. Both levels will be connected by a large gauge PVC pipe burrow.

The top layer will be heated with a spot light during the day which will turn off at dusk and then will be lit with a moon light for ambience. The substrate on this level will be sand.

The subteranean level will have dark tinted glass, and will be heated with an IR lamp during the day, switching over to a heat mat on dusk. I'm hoping this layer will become the snakes preferred hide.

Both layers will have artificial rock walls throughout.

I'm hoping shell thrive in there, should take me about three weeks to complete.

And I'm hoping my wife likes it enough to keep it in the family room...;)

I'll post some more pics when its finished.

If anyone has any other thoughts or ideas feel free to share...

Cheers Mark

Attachments

• Red Hemnes.jpg
    Red Hemnes.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 96
sounds awesome! i just picked up a cheap corner tv unit from st vinnies which i will be turning into a snake enclosure and you have just given me a great idea with that cave/burrow hide. should b good. how old is the bhp?

Almost seven months old and has an outstanding temperament... Never even looked like biting, but she does have one hell of an appetite. She's just under 1 metre.

Finally Finished the Enclosure

Finally finished the enclosure...:lol: And from all accounts so far, the little girl Jix seems quite happy with it...

Attachments

• Jinx4.jpg
    Jinx4.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 133
  • Jinx1.jpg
    Jinx1.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 95
  • Jinx3.jpg
    Jinx3.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 110
  • Jinx2.jpg
    Jinx2.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 96
  • Jinx5.jpg
    Jinx5.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 89
thats a fantastic enclosure she will love it

Last edited:
that is one sweet set up, when did you complete it? does she retreat to the 'underground' part during the day?

wow looks stunning great job mate :) I'm sure the wife will be happy with it.

Hey guys, thanks for the comments.
Jinx tends to spend most of the daytime down underneath in the darkened section, and at night time she will alternate between the two areas checking things out.
I plan on leaving her in this cabinet for good now.
I'm not that happy with the cat litter I used, si will be changing that when I next clean out the cabinet.

Cheers

mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back