Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
He'll have a fun time trying to get that water python off his arm :lol: :lol: I didn't see the end of the video so I don't know. All I know is if my boy ddi that to me it'd take me some time to get him off :lol:

the Mister and i both have a snappy python and a placid one each. he started off with his snappy one and quickly learned how to read his body language (they have formed such a strong bond now, it is incredible to watch them together). when he got the placid one, he was a little unsure on what she was going to do. Bruce was snappy, Diega was just happy to curl up around your wrist.

i got my placid one first. he is very laid back and happy to go along with whatever. my snappy one, on the other hand...think cornered feral kitten. you couldn't even look at him without being struck at. he has calmed down considerably since then, but the Mister still seems to trigger that "killer instinct". not sure why.

all in all, i think if you are going to have more than one at a time, it is good to have some experience with a snappy one if it is possible. it all comes down to patience, trust and a willingness to learn. on both sides.

If watch the hole video, its actually an olive python that does some damage. Water pythons tend to let go after they taste blood. The end bit is funny. the olive grabs the other dude.

haha. i love getting tagged, although not by my snakes, it is impractical to have an aggressive snake in your collection, its ok with hatchies cause they are easier to feed.....

I think theres a big differance between a snappy one and one that trys to eat you.

I think its good to know what some snakes are like and would make you be a lot more aware of some snakes that are new to you. I personally wouldn't want a BIG snappy python. My spotted was a snappy hatchling, he has calmed down a bit now he is about 18 months old. But still a bit grumpy when he wants to be. But i have learned how he reacts which i think is good

Just watched all of the video, went weak at the knees....my HERO, my CHAMPION, such BRAVERY, well actually NO, NO, NO, what a
STUPID DIPSTICK....

I heard and agree that it's good to have at least one python that is bittey or snappy in a collection. Especially if it's one of the larger species such as a coastal, olive or scrubby.

Yes, TOTALLY AGREE. The same as all drivers should CRASH at least 1 car just so they know what it's like. All pilots should crash a plane for the same reason, swimming instructors should almost drown, fire fighters should be trapped in a fire, yeah the list would be long and interesting.

Can you give me some even close to reasonable reasons as to why it would be good to have at least 1 aggressive snake in a collection.
Although it could be a good marketing exercise for those keepers who ONLY keep say diamonds, well they should buy a scrubbie, jungle or olive just for the experience of being bitten................
Maybe everyone should be required to also keep say a tiger snake or maybe a death adder or 2.......................................

umm i think the analogy your looking for is:if you play basketball and your play in the state the team you would find playing against your friends from school easier.
HERE IS A REASON

1. being able to read their body language easier so you transfer that knowledge to other snakes.

you see here the state the team is the snappy snake.
and your friends at school who want to play a friendly game of basketball are the docile placid snakes :p

I dont know really know what your getting at with the different species, said nothing about different species.
did you want me to buy a jungle or scrubby off you:p. Id love a nice high yellow jungle or even an olive, it would be nice.

Elapids really wernt in the discussion either hence the big bolded letters of the word python in the first post:)

love having a few bitters in my collections...makes any interaction intense ( feeding,taking them out or even changing water lol ) coz if you stuff up bang hes got ya! haha
like snake pimp said "i like to observe natural behavior"
placid ones,bitey flighty ones..love them all !
all they are doin are displaying natural behavior !!!
if your not down for a bite here or there maybe keeping stamps in more for u jokes joke but remeber paper cuts lol LOL
Enjoy
Ezekiel

agreed hahaha

i think its up to the individual keeper as to wether its good or not if u r in it to breed and dont handle them much then u come to expect a taging or 2 but on the other hand if u keep snakes for the enjoyment of getting them out and handling something that u associate with danger ( normally) then u would rather more placid snakes.......i have 2 bredlis 2 months old and r snappy i have been bitten alot it doesnt hurt but it makes u respect them more. they r calming down alot now tho...

[video=youtube;eiqRXRfGkdQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiqRXRfGkdQ[/video]
warning " language " but still funny

Thats the one i was looking for townsville pythons. I couldn't find it again on u-tube. thought it got deleted.

snake will only bite if it mistakes you for food or when threatened.BAHAHAHA Man you haven't met my snakes oviously, they go anyone and any thing that goes anywhere near there enclosure and this isn't a food response, I have a 9.5 foot female cape york and I've exsperianced strangelation with her very scary and this was after taking her to the vet. I can say I have been bitten about 6 times with her through out owning her in the last 5.5years both food related and clear agression and stupid mistakes. But they DON'T only bite if mistaken for food or when threatened they can just snap even when NOT prevoked.
I think it does make you more aware and more respect towards an agressive individual if you've exsperianced such force and been bitten that many times that you can tell what is clearly a warning strike and what is an agressive strike and it will make you more ware of when the snake is in a good mood and when to just keep your distance.

makes it a hell of alot easier when you need to take them to the vet too, also if you feel your not conferdent in hand feeding a snake then use tongs.

I agree with blondie but if you intend to breed than a python that is agressive to handle out side of a cage is not a trait to pass on to the offspring and than sell to a little kid. DID U C MY UTUBE CLIP BLONDIE i didnt see your comments there.

I'm not picking on you but I don't agree, I personly believe that the more agro the better a breeder and also I've produced one of the most plasidest lil cape yorks I've ever had the pleasure to breed or handle not agro like mum and dad never bit me or my brother it was the most inquisitive lil thing I've seen.

My Stimson wouldnt bite if I antagaised her. But the carpet? she snapped alot the first couple of weeks, shes calmed down now, but Im not looking forward to n adult bite, that vid looks nasty :/ I cant see the point of having a fiesty snake. I know when to leave mine alone and their body language without all the blood and pain.

i think its up to the individual keeper as to wether its good or not if u r in it to breed and dont handle them much then u come to expect a taging or 2 but on the other hand if u keep snakes for the enjoyment of getting them out and handling something that u associate with danger ( normally) then u would rather more placid snakes.......i have 2 bredlis 2 months old and r snappy i have been bitten alot it doesnt hurt but it makes u respect them more. they r calming down alot now tho...

I agree ... depends on purpose for keeping the animal ...... as for people watching natural behaviour, Im guessing these people would also keep dogs for the purpose of hunting and watch those dogs kill another animal and tear it to pieces ....... THEN LOCK THAT DOG IN A CAGE ... ( NOT NATURAL !!!!!!)

We only handle our animals when moving them for cage cleaning or for general health checks (if they were meant to be picked up they would have handles), and all are very placid with the exception of an old originally wild caught BHP who has always been a handful.A lot of young snakes are snappy which is a reaction to stress (flight or fight response).The vast majority will calm down when they get a bit bigger without any help from the keeper whatsoever.I also couldn't tell you the last time I was tagged from either an adult animal or a hatchy as it was that long ago.

I don't know about having a bitey one being good for keeping - surely if you're a good enough keeper you wouldn't get bitten anyway? Personally, comparing my coastals to my stimsons, I prefer one that's a little more "bitey". At least I know it'll eat!

I don't think it matters how good of a keeper you are, try picking up my new 6 month jungle old jungle haha. Last night I was tidying up some wiring and he came out of his hide just to have a go at me. Pretty funny really. Hes not like my girl who does small strikes, he really likes to extend out. Imo its pretty easy to tell if there in a striking position and mine are still unpredictable as I can touch them and they will run or sometimes bite, even with the same speed hand movements coming from the side. For the people who like to let them crawl up there face and be around there eyes I would say its probably a good thing because that in itself is a risk even though small has big consequences.

Last edited:
I think it's good to respect your snakes, learn their individual natures, treat them well and give them no reason to want to bite. No. I see no reason to want (or create) a snappy snake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back