Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just on the Australian museum site, I gave up 5 minutes ago, if I can't find it on the internet or in any of my reptile guides, then it must not be real ;)

main.php

Liasis burtoni

i think the second one Talalihous ater Harlequin Lizard .... closest thing i got was a bird... hmmm

Varanus loi Norfolk Island Monitor lizard Norfolk Islands Last wild specimen recorded in 1979 ------ would have no natural predators in wild - norfolk island -only humans who may have killed due to livestock - why would this monitor become extinct ?? whilest food to be consumed would be -birds bats - insects which norfolk has quite alot of ? you also believe that it would be galapagos land iguana

So here you are dissing wiki (a perfectly good resource hehe) and all you're relying on is google search???? Hmmmmm pot calling kettle....

It's even worse than that, anyone could get anything indexed in Google. Right now I could make a website saying that the Green Tree Python is an introduced species and was originally an Emerald Tree Boa. And I could have it indexed in Google in under 24 hours.

But if I was to put that in Wikipedia I would need to include a credible reference, if I don't it'll be deleted. If the reference doesn't check out, or if the moderators can't find any evidence proving it, it'll be deleted.

Wikipedia is as credible an information source as an encyclopedia. You just need to check the references.

I know that the Queensland Snake Neck Turtle (Chelodina Buxtoni) and the Harlequin Lizard (Talalihous ater) are extinct.

extinct aussie reptiles................... the southwest woma! hasent been seen in years bloody cats and development have wiped them out

naledge, since you know of those two being extinct, maybe you can fill us in with info, pictures or something?

Extinctions in recent years are suspected for a few Australian species or populations they are off the top of my head...

Lerista allanae, Hemiergis sp (near Perth), Egernia obirii, Victorian population of Tympanocryptis pinguicolla and the South West Population of Woma's.

Whether or not Oxyuranus microlepidotus was naturally occuring in Victoria is unclear (its thought that they may of been washed in via flooding of the coopers creek drainage via the darling river or a mislabelled locality on the holotype).

Similar localised extinction around Lake Boga for Acanthophis antarcticus.

Cheers,
Scott

Plenty of localised extinctions I would think. Shame about the stuff you mentioned, But you never know they might still be out there, there is hope. I don't like the chances for some of them though.

Do you know if the original 4 species posted on the thread are actually real?

Thanks

Hi there,
Egernia obirii hasn't been 'officially' recorded... Doesn't mean a few haven't been seen. The original locality might be a little away from where you can see them.
As for Lerista allanae, its probably a little hard to establish if a primarily fossorial species is extinct, though i realise that some very experienced herpers have spent a lot of there time searching for them.

are you sure it was QLD snakenecked turtle? because i've heard the eartern longnecked turtle reffered to as the snakeneck turlte.
no im pretty sure it was the queensland snakenecked turtle but anyways it was a while ago and i cant remember where it was sooo...........i dunno

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back