Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,
Egernia obirii hasn't been 'officially' recorded... Doesn't mean a few haven't been seen. The original locality might be a little away from where you can see them.
As for Lerista allanae, its probably a little hard to establish if a primarily fossorial species is extinct, though i realise that some very experienced herpers have spent a lot of there time searching for them.

I thought they found a dead one last survey or something? (Egernia that is)

Have you seen them up there Col?

The Wiki list is bogus.
The turtle does not exist, the monitor does not exist and Liasis burtoni isnt a python, its a spelling mistake. On that I am assuming the other is bogus as well.

Bellatorius obirii was collected as another species quite some time ago. Live specimens have been captured in several adjacent locations though it hasn't been found again in Arnhem Land on several recent surveys. Believe it or not but this information is all available on the WWW.

Similar localised extinction around Lake Boga for Acanthophis antarcticus.

Is there any confirmed, verifiable recordings of Adders in Victoria? I remember having my infamous "we deal in facts, Jonno!" chat with Mike Swan and he seemed to believe they'd never been found in Victoria.

The 2 recorded specimens came from the diary of Gerrard Krefft, with line drawings of the head scalation and Tail Tip, the locality listed was from Lake Boga, Victoria. As for A. antarcticus in Victoria.....the border country in far east gippsland is quite probable, they have been recorded in the adjacent NSW National park which the border is the Southern Edge. They have not been recorded in Victorian side...yet.

Just a side note in the past 6 months both lerista allanae and a south west woma have turned up

Cheers
Scott

pygmy blue tongues were extinct but now they not again :D
sorry if you have talked about this in your Latin jumble but i talk English lol :D

Just a side note in the past 6 months both lerista allanae and a south west woma have turned up

Cheers
Scott
That is Amazing, why hasn't this made the news? I would love to know where? But I suspect that is a secret, and most likely best kept that way, I can just see a massive poaching problem! Who disscovered the sw woma again?

That is Amazing, why hasn't this made the news? I would love to know where? But I suspect that is a secret, and most likely best kept that way, I can just see a massive poaching problem! Who disscovered the sw woma again?

Not that I disagree with you but on the count of the Retro slider.
A) If it took so long for one to turn up good luck poaching them.
B) Not so many people like keeping Lerista.

Your probally right geckphotographer, but the devistation poachers leave behind is probally a big concern, imagine all the womas natural habbitat taken too with block splitters whilst out looking, it won't just be those species effected, but all the other animals and plant life around that area, I'm just so happy that they are not compleatly extinct, I hope turning up two species like this puts their natural habbit as a do not touch consevation area.

And I hope you are right pretty python. Lets just hope the authorities give these endangered/rediscovered species the protection they deserve, as opposed to the typical snake who cares scenario.

Please keep us all updated as we are lucky to have a second chance.

Most of the remaining habitat is protected problem is theres bugger all left and what is left is under pressure and for the most part small scattered pockets

As I said I did not disagree with you and particularly with the Woma I think poaching may become a huge problem. In fact if they are in protected habitat I think it will be the biggest problem.
Environments can recover from the devastation of people looking for reptiles otherwise all the scientists out there (meaning the reptile ones) would be out of job. But the poaching of reptiles is indeed carried out in terribly scaring ways in terms of environmental impact.

I don't think poaching will be a problem for the woma because there is probably so few left over such a massive area people will give up before finding them. I'm not sure they would have much visual appeal.

then it should be up to the government to do everything in their power to protect and bring any animal into captivity to protect this rare and threatened species (just like the oenpelis species) to ensure their continued existence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back