choosing a roughie

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mamba24

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hi all,

i've been thinking about getting a rough-scaled python for a little while now. but what does one look for in a roughie? what are the desired traits? the only thing i can think of is a distinct contrast between the browns and the creams. but i'd like to know what you guys think.

cheers.

Get the ones with strong contrast and the most white... Awesome animals.

I think the latest Snakebytes (of Brian at the Expo) has put me off roughies forever!

I think you'll find their colour varies from night to day and depending on their mood and apetite. I've never kept them myself, just an observation from other keepers.

I think the latest Snakebytes (of Brian at the Expo) has put me off roughies forever!

Haha! their still next on my list!!

i have 2 of them, one with alot of cream/white, and one with alot of dark brown. and i gotta say, go with whichever one catches your eye, there is no way you can lose with them, they are the best snakes and just look so cool with their big noggin

Get the ones with strong contrast and the most white... Awesome animals.

yeah i was thinking that same thing.

i have 2 of them, one with alot of cream/white, and one with alot of dark brown. and i gotta say, go with whichever one catches your eye, there is no way you can lose with them, they are the best snakes and just look so cool with their big noggin

true aye, love the head and the blue eyes. the eyes don't vary in the strength of the blue to they?

They are facinating to keep, just make sure your set up properly and you buy feeding specimens (general rule with any pythons really).

yeah, guess you're right. maybe also since it's a relatively new-ish species there hasn't been enough time for different looks and variables to come through. can only imagine what they'll look like some years down the road (not to say they aren't awesome looking snakes now)...

I own quite a few and owned quite a few more previously......

In my opinion.....look for a roughie that is a great feeder, is growing well and has had no problems since hatching..........

They do vary in coulor and pattern, really becomes noticeable when you have 10 or so to pick the differences............They all change so much, you won't be dissapointed if you do grab them......(and the price of them is absolutely amazing nowadays...easily worth way more)

I have not had any issues with them, they are easily kept, easy to feed, slough perfectly and are very amicable when handling.....Their colour shift is amazing....can become very lightish...white / silver and also go very dark brown / bauxite colour too, depend on temps and day / night cycle.................

Get the healthiest one you can find.........you'll soon have a soft spot for them....

Hope this helps

thanks orientalis for the insight.

any chance you could post some photos of the two you have? wouldn't mind seeing the difference...

how much are they goin for now?

their price seems to vary a bit. i think snake ranch had them for around 1200 at the expo, and are currently taking offers. a little while back i saw a couple on URS going for 500, and one is currently on hold there for 700. a breeder here in vic had (maybe have still) some going for 600-650 as well.

Snake ranch is having a hatchie sale at the moment some nice looking snakes .Got a couple of childrens two months ago great snakes .They have roughies ,mabey my next snakes lol

They are all the same. You get darker coloured ones and lighter coloured ones and some inbetween. same with the eyes. They all look great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back