Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimi

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Can someone please explain the differences in the two morphs.

What are the chances that the RPM gene came here from overseas?

What are the chances that the RPM gene came here from overseas?

RPM's ARE Jags, they are just been sold under a different name here in australia. Its very similar to the GTP situation. people call them RPMs because if they advertise them as jags, they will be admitting to owning/breeding/selling animals that either are, or were breed from illegally imported animals. technically they are exotics because if they are RPM's then they are in fact carrying the DNA from exotic lines, some of which contain irian jaya 'blood', hence are literally exotic crosses.

Why is it being done?? simple... they look great and they have a lot of potential with different morph combinations.
it'll be interesting to see what names are given to granite jayas (a true exotics species) and zebra jungles when they are available.

The difference? In one case you're flagrantly marketing animals from overseas collections and in the other you're marketing animals you're pretending aren't from overseas collections even though anyone with a clue knows they are.

wouldent be to long before people advertise the offspring as jags, afterall they got them legally on theyre licence by other licenced people so DECC has no grounds to take them

RPM's ARE Jags, they are just been sold under a different name here in australia. Its very similar to the GTP situation. people call them RPMs because if they advertise them as jags, they will be admitting to owning/breeding/selling animals that either are, or were breed from illegally imported animals. technically they are exotics because if they are RPM's then they are in fact carrying the DNA from exotic lines, some of which contain irian jaya 'blood', hence are literally exotic crosses.

Why is it being done?? simple... they look great and they have a lot of potential with different morph combinations.
it'll be interesting to see what names are given to granite jayas (a true exotics species) and zebra jungles when they are available.

i was under the impression that irian jaya is genetically the same as our own proserpine carpets? if so, would not nessicarily be classed as containing exotic DNA. also slightly moot considering the allowance of PNG GTP's. (as you have previously stated)

i was under the impression that irian jaya is genetically the same as our own proserpine carpets? if so, would not nessicarily be classed as containing exotic DNA. also slightly moot considering the allowance of PNG GTP's. (as you have previously stated)

thats news to me. either way, they are still regarded as a seperate sub species as kenshin stated and are still exotics regardless.

also i think decc took blood samples of sxr pure jags and proved theyare in fact pure mcdowelli, could be wrong though

Kenshin
Just because someone acquires a reptile through licence doesn't prevent the wildlife authorities from having it seized. Under the Crime Confiscation Act ,suspect reptiles can be taken under the provisions for tainted property. This has happened on a few occasions in QLD, and I have been a victim of it myself.

can i ask something as a newbie...and i feel like a numbnut asking it

what does RPM stand for and what does Jag stand for.....i am presuming these are jungle carpet crosses....sorry I am really confused and I am trying to understand the new trend with snakies :)

Regards

Elizabeth

a jag- jaguar is a name amercans gave a genetic morph of the coastal carpet python that causes a great reduction in pattern leaving most of the body covered in the relativly light base colour
RPM- is a jag but its a name used here it means reduced pattern morph

ahhh pilbara i thought that if they had been bred for afew generations and had been purchased in good faith that there was no real proving it all they can do is prove its a coastal carpet python and not a cross?

can i ask something as a newbie...and i feel like a numbnut asking it

what does RPM stand for and what does Jag stand for.....i am presuming these are jungle carpet crosses....sorry I am really confused and I am trying to understand the new trend with snakies :)

Regards

Elizabeth

RPM i belive stands for "reduced patterned morelia" (that was my interpretation instead of morph) and jags are a co-dominant morph of coastal carpet python that occured over in the uk (dont think it originated in america). to the best of my understanding, this occurred with pure coastal lines. since then, the laws in the uk have allowed them to be crossbred with several other forms of morelia for different behavioural and aesthetic attributes. some argue that there are no pure coastal jags as they were often crossed with smaller species like irian jaya or jungle carpet python to reduce size (it was my understanding, again, that jungles were more commonly used because of their brighter colours, but how would any of us really know unless we have been involved with this developing trend overseas ourselves).

Sye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back