funny quote from snake ranch

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

syeph8

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I'm just puttin it out there for anyone interested in reading this. but i was on snakeranch earlier on today and i think (hope) it was meant to be a bit of a joke. either way, i thought it was worthy of a post (obviously i have nothing better to do tonight)

"We also guarantee the sexing of our pythons. If they are listed as males or females at our website, they are guaranteed to be as such. A "pair" is one male, and one female. We don't even try to guess the sexes of newborn bluetongues or hatchling goannas, as there will be a greater than 50/50 chance we'll get it wrong!"

wondering if anyone else has ever picked this up? or has any other interesting quotes that seem not quite right?

oh im sure it is right. they seem to be pretty straight with what they sell from what i have heard. im just wondering how you can be more than 50/50 to get gender wrong if there are only two genders?

well it is impossible to tell 100% reliably what a young skink or goanna is a fact i have confirmation of from a fellow who is probably the worlds most knowledgable source on blue tongue skink facts especially

yeah but if you guess.. there is 50/50 chance.. never LESS than 50/50 chance. there can be more than 50/50 chance to get it right if it is an educated guess.. (i dont know enough about monitors or skinks to comment on how educated a guess can be to determine gender in juveniles) its like guessing the marble is in the left hand or the right hand, there are two options and if you honestly dont know, then you have a 50% chance.
obviously no1 else noticed the mistake before i highlighted it, taking a while to notice it after i highlighted it also :p

I think the snake ranch has a great rep I just had check and the conditions state: THE SEX OF SNAKES IS GUARANTEED; THE SEX OF LIZARDS IS NOT NOR IS A LIZARD SOLD ON A PARTICULAR SEX!!! If you saw this on the website then im sure it was comicical :)

If you get an animal which is sexed as male, and it is in fact female then it is 100% wrong, which would be the same as getting 2 of a sex when buying a pair. They are stating that they can not sell these animals as sexed, and therefore can't sell compatable pairs.

If you get an animal which is sexed as male, and it is in fact female then it is 100% wrong, which would be the same as getting 2 of a sex when buying a pair. They are stating that they can not sell these animals as sexed, and therefore can't sell compatable pairs.

that is correct. but they still have EXACTLY a 50/50 chance of guessing gender incorrectly. i am just having a bit of a laugh at the wording not looking for explination. snake ranch has an excellent reputation and i know no1 who was had a bad interaction with them. currently looking at their RSP which is how i came across this quote

steph some of us are more mathematically challenged than others.......

and its sye.... steph is a bit too feminine for my tastes ;) "ph" are my last two initials

Actually You don,t have a 50/50 chance of correct guess because the proportion of male and female offspring would vary, so if there was 3 males to every female and you more often guessed it was male then chances are you would be right if you were not aware of this hatch rate and guessed female then you would have more than a 50/50 chance of getting it wrong

Actually You don,t have a 50/50 chance of correct guess because the proportion of male and female offspring would vary, so if there was 3 males to every female and you more often guessed it was male then chances are you would be right if you were not aware of this hatch rate and guessed female then you would have more than a 50/50 chance of getting it wrong

statistically this doesnt make a difference. because you are not to know that there are 3 males and 1 female. and if you did then your odds would increase, not decrease. and the guessing of one individual with two different choices will always be 50/50

so if i had a clutch of 4 blueys with odd numbers of male and female and knowing their sexes I gave them to you and asked you to guess would you still have a 50-50 chance of guessing them right, true you only have two choices but statisticaly the odds are stacked in favour of one and not the other whether you are aware of it or not

but that wouldnt mean that you have a GREATER than 50% chance to get it wrong? because you also have a greater than 50% of getting it right if you use this logic.

This is meant to be a bit of a laugh. I think they are applying Murphy's Law in that if they were to guess the sex of skinks/monitors they would get it wrong more often if you know what I mean.

It's because you're missing out on the trans-gender dragons. That's why they can get it wrong!

Curse those trans-gender or hermaphroditic dragons!

if you are guessing one animal at a time then it is a 50/50 chance, if you are guessing a few then your odds will increase but they would only be guessing one animal at a time......

im 142% probably possitive that i'm right....... lol

It's because you're missing out on the trans-gender dragons. That's why they can get it wrong!

Curse those trans-gender or hermaphroditic dragons!

which toilet would they use?

This is meant to be a bit of a laugh. I think they are applying Murphy's Law in that if they were to guess the sex of skinks/monitors they would get it wrong more often if you know what I mean.

i do. thought it was the case, but i was purely wondering if anyone else saw the humour in it. i was very bored and was of a mind to get mathematical :p

I still don't see how you have a 50/50 chance if the gender ratio is different, LOL. I to am bored, the weather has been wet for 2 days

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back