Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Jag originated in Norway, no the UK or America.

jags are a co-dominant morph of coastal carpet python that occured over in the uk (dont think it originated in america). to the best of my understanding, this occurred with pure coastal lines. since then, the laws in the uk have allowed them to be crossbred with several other forms of morelia for different behavioural and aesthetic attributes. some argue that there are no pure coastal jags as they were often crossed with smaller species like irian jaya or jungle carpet python to reduce size (it was my understanding, again, that jungles were more commonly used because of their brighter colours, but how would any of us really know unless we have been involved with this developing trend overseas ourselves).

Sye

i cant see a diffrence between owning a jag/rpm and owning a non native GTP... doesnt matter how many generations a captive bred biak gtp is,its still an exotic/illegal snake.

i cant see a diffrence between owning a jag/rpm and owning a non native GTP... doesnt matter how many generations a captive bred biak gtp is,its still an exotic/illegal snake.

well i dont think they are veiwed as illeagle as they are legitimatly on licence....... regardless of them being obvious exotics

Ok, this is an interesting thread, check out the attached pic and classify these 4 into what you reckon they might be......reduced pattern......
normal......reduced pattern modified (jag???).
I will say that at least one of these were hatched using a new and slightly radical incubation method.....

Attachments

• Picture 1253.jpg
    Picture 1253.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 264
  • Picture 1248.jpg
    Picture 1248.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 283
  • Picture 1258.jpg
    Picture 1258.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 246
  • Picture 1259.jpg
    Picture 1259.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 252
Ok, this is an interesting thread, check out the attached pic and classify these 4 into what you reckon they might be......reduced pattern......
I will say that at least one of these were hatched using a new and slightly radical incubation method.....

Ok Nev, I'm game!

Pic 1: Typical "RPM"
Pic 2: SXR RPM
Pic 3: Stunning RP Jungle
Pic 4: Classic "Devil" Striped Jungle

How'd I do?

Nev

P1 RP JUNGEL
P2 RP COASTAL
P3 RP JUNGEL
P4 DEVIL JUNGEL

it amazes me to read some of this.do people really think the jags are going to be seized there is no reason to believe it hasn't popped up in Australia like it did in Germany the jags in Australia could be native so why would they seize these animals when they do nothing about the Greentree pythons being sold as their overseas locales everyone just accepts these animals now they also do nothing about all the exotics in Australia how many on this site happily own corn snakes and I know there are a lot these animals pose a greater risk than jags ever will

nev ill tell you what theyre not............ not mine care to rectify that lol

As a keeper and owner of RPMs here is my opinion on some points raised in this thread and where I stand in this matter......

Does it really matter what they are called, at the end of the day they are Morelia spilota that contain a co-dominant genetic that enhances their visual appearance. Call them what you want, but at the end of the day they are just a co-dom carpet.

I have never seen any signs of neuro disorders amongst any RPMs that I have been involved with.

After a conversation with Parks 3 or 4 years ago regarding purchasing exotic GTPs, I asked for clarification whether parks had the authority to confiscate non-native GTPs. The answer I received was,
"If you buy unknown origin Morelia viridis from another Licensed keeper, fill in all appropriate import/export permits and both the seller and buyer hold the appropriate license for that species you have nothing to be concerned about, as far as we are concerned as long as they are not wild caught and are captive bred in Australia and are on license correctly we have no reason to look further into the matter." To me this set the precedent (at least with my local authority) for all animals that may or may not have a clouded history.

Having clarified that with parks, in the upcoming years when the opportunity to legitametly purchase my co-dom carpets which were bred and sold legitametly by SXR I jumped at the opportunity to be one of the first to be able to work with these carpets. Yes I have copped flak from some people and yes I have received heaps of support from others. At the end of the day my collection was bred, bought and sold with all animals appropriately licensed and all import/export permits aquired and filed.

Further to this I have bred my co-dom Morelia spilotas and have traded them with other keepers in NSW, VIC, QLD and SA with all keepers holding the appropriate licenses and permits filled and filed. All buyers were given the full history of how I aquired my breeders and were happy to be buying multi-generation legitametly bred and sold in AUS co-dom carpets.

Im sure some people will still have a problem with this, but at the end of the day my collection and any offspring are a native Morelia spilota that has been captive bred in Aus and sold legitametly. We cant do much more than that........

Last edited:
Hey Nev
have a look at the thread RP ARGUMENT, Roger laid it out pretty clear.

Hey Nev
have a look at the thread RP ARGUMENT, Roger laid it out pretty clear.

Yes, I did read the post from Roger. What I was mainly getting at is the recent bit of referring to snakes as reduced pattern. To call something reduced pattern there had to be a benchmark of "normal" so the benchmark a "normal" banded or a "normal" stripe jungle.....

Yeah, not bad, but I'm interested in knowing what the benchmark is for a RP anything....

Who knows mate, how long is a chinese river? I think the argument starts with trying to bench mark anything, it can't really be done. At the end of the day it is far too subjective an argument to really be quantifyable. Personally, animals with a fair amount of dorsal striping and coupled with distinct saddles, I call RP. More in reference to a "style" of patterning as opposed to some sort of hard and fast rule. Take Zobo's animals, I'd call those striped as it is fairly obvious. The last photo you posted has a style of pattern that I personally equate to your better specimens, hence "Devil" Jungle. Without measurable genetic traits, I don't think any absolute definition can be achieved. If I were to say, "Have a look at this RP Proserpine", no-one comes out with calipers and imaging software to calculate the different levels and quantities of colour/base, etc.., they just expect to see an animal that has a certain pattern style. That's my opinion at least.

I call this animal "RP" though I am sure many would disagree. This is a Faustino Proserpine and a fine example imo. Don't know if it is 50/50 or part banded but I really don't care. It has a style of pattern that I think most people think of when they think RP. Could be wrong though.

attachment.php

This one is a Brett Zaccar bred, mostly Tully Jungle. I call it RP, as again, he has a style of pattern that makes me think RP. Still subjective, can't really be bothered to measure the percentages of pattern to base colour.

attachment.php

Attachments

• castro1.jpg
    castro1.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 534
  • che.jpg
    che.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 535
Adam they are great looking animals, I love the proserpine.

i still laugh at the fact that people are still up in arms about the jags/RPM being illegal in australia and saying that "they came from an illegal source!!".yet these same people still proudly display their" local specific" cape yorks,tullys,palmerstons,cowleys,mission beach,proserpines,brisbanes,townsvilles etc,etc which have all obviously been taken illegally from the wild well after the 94 amnesty.
You're right, that would be funny if it were true ;) I'm sure some do, but not all. Not quite as funny in that case.

You have to agree with snake whisperer, its way to a grey area.

Anything with that bare back look (saddles down sides) that does not contain co-dom genetics should be considered a "RP". To what level of RP depends on the opinion of the on-looker.

Anything that has the bare back look that is created due to co-dom genetics should be considered an "RPM"/"JAG"/"CO-DOM CARPET".

Anything that has a continuous or close to continuous dorsal stripe should be considered "striped".

If it doesnt obviously fit into these descriptions then it is more than likely "standard".

Id like to see a RPM/jag clutch...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back