chameleons

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
they wouldnt be in oz if they were quarantined they have obviously been smggled in! if authorities find the eg. customs they destroy them saw an episode of customs gtp were being smuggled in from thailand one was dead and they destroyed the others....such a waste i know but thats how they work!

Yeh I know that, but I was saying that the gov could introduce a program to have imported exotics quarantined or something or rather for people with a rec licence.

that would cost a-lot, plus there is still the chance a underlying problem could show itself after quarantine

lol

there is an awfull lot of under the counter chamelons being sold i heard people just bring them here in thier pockets

i dont care what anyone says, id love a couple of them! all this, 'if you want one why not just move to another country then' is ridiculous. provide quarantine for a group of them, as long as possible if you want, to ensure no diseases, and then after that you can safely breed them and have no concern for any exotic diseases. it would help reduce the black market. in the end, theyre already here (somewhere) so why not provide a method for having safe, healthy captive bred exotics. makes a heck of a lot of sense to me. they are all on licence then as well, so you have minimal issues with them being released into the wild. now, with none of them being on a licence, if someone got sick of them, or thought the authorities were on their trail, they would end up at the local park. make them legal so you can regulate them!

Contact relevant authorities and organise your own undercover sting on the guy.:lol:

HAHAHA i like that one choco...:D
I love all reptiles and they should have good homes but we do such a good job here keeping out problems from overseas..and these kind of people doing this really ***** me off!!
I had the same thing happen to me...guy seen how much food i was buying and came outside after me ..I thought i was going to be on for sure but he "reckons" he has pairs of Rainbow Boas going cheap! God i love them but i Just told him where to go ..and he is not very smart because one of the people inside of the shop at the time was a person from nat parks doing a check on books etc..
he was gone in a flash!
If you get busted with somthing like that if they do a random check of your house you will loose your right to keep reptiles in this country and get a MASSIVE FINE!!! so blow that!
But i would do the sting 4sure that would be crazy but make sure you have some mates there in diff spots filming it all go down hahahhahah

I had the same thing happen to me...guy seen how much food i was buying and came outside after me .
geez man, which shop do you go to!? i hear all these stories about people getting offered red tailed boas, chameleons, corns etc at their local rep shop, but never to me! not once! im eagerly awaiting that day. just quietly...

Eugh... they're illegal for a reason (not taking a stab at anyone here [unless you actually own exotics...], it just infuriates me those that do). I wish I could tell people to bloody enjoy our amazing wildlife and not to risk ruining it! Why do people keep exotics anyway? Status symbol, for monetary gain?

Eugh... they're illegal for a reason (not taking a stab at anyone here [unless you actually own exotics...], it just infuriates me those that do). I wish I could tell people to bloody enjoy our amazing wildlife and not to risk ruining it! Why do people keep exotics anyway? Status symbol, for monetary gain?
If done properly how would it risk our wildlife? I notice you have a number of reptiles...have any of them ever escaped into the wildlife??? i would likely think not. At the moment, there are plenty that are smuggled here, and could quite feasibly harbour exotic diseases. repeating what i said above, why not bring a couple in, properly quarantine them for a few years, and then breed off of that stock. voila. no diseases and a sustainable population of captive bred animals.
any risk of having animals escape and compete with wildlife is equal with the risk of taking animals native to qld and putting them in sa.

and as to why people keep exotics. why do people keep those same reptiles in other countries? they like them.
i dont have any personally though, just so your aware.

I knew of someone up north hu had a Burmese . . My bfs friend had it ( I never met or saw him) I got offered it, as I think he realised after how much it ate and how quick it grew tht it wasn't such a gd idea . . Never been offered chameleons tho unfortunately :p

I seen a red tail boa on gumtree for $600
It's probs still on there

And I know a few people with exotics

So they are definitely here
So I don't know why people are so shocked about it

I seen a diamond python on eBay and it's still on there I think
It is included with the sale of an enclosure
It's counted as an "accessory" on the ad

Anyone who wants an exotic or think they should have one, clearly has no love for our native animals. We have some of the most amazing reptiles here that every other country raves about and all anyone can think is wanting and exotic?!? Be happy with what you got. Australia!!! LOVE it or LEAVE it mwah

what's the risk? A big old slap with a wet lettuce leaf?

NO risking OUR animals. How can anyone have the mind to think about bringing a colony over here, and keeping them captive to make sure theres no diseases? Thats an absolute load of crap. Your know it.. You know alot of exotic snakes hold the OPMV status? Hence they are carriers! And all you want to do is bring something in becasue YOU want it? Charming..We have enough problems here let alone ppl that "think" they can bring something in. Do you trust all those people that are bringing them in? Theres plenty of diseases in aust that havent even been mentioned that are being brought in by exotic animals. Lettuce leaf may be on your list mate but id be thinking about the animals first, hence obviously your werent, you were only thinking about the legal/illegal side, not the animals. Which is where the game starts unfortunatley

No, a $1000 fine paid off $5 a week ,so iv been told.
if you had 3 breeding pairs and an full incubator, i think it might be a 'little' more :lol:

See everyone goes ahhh well just a slap, or a little bit of money, you people arent thinking about the future of our country nor our animals. Your thinking about yourself. SO burger your saying its no different if we took something from nsw to qld and released it? WHat a crock mate.. They are still native for a start, and try release a burm over here, you must have been locked up for a while, go to florida mate where they did the smae thing that you think is okay to do. While the burms that were released now eat babys and peoples backyard pets. Yeh really good idea mate. DO some research. If you respect the animals in our country you would have full understanding of why exotics arent aloud, and never will be.

I never said I agreed with illegal exotics being here, I merely pointed out that the deterrents are not effective.

Also you should use spell check, if I was marking your post I'd give it an F. A lot is 2 words not "alot" and you need to revise your use of apostrophes. Also "exotics arent aloud" should be exotics aren't allowed.

Not having a dig but if you want to tell other people to "do some research", I think it would carry more weight if you researched your basic spelling and grammar first.

PM me if you'd like a free lesson.

NO risking OUR animals. How can anyone have the mind to think about bringing a colony over here, and keeping them captive to make sure theres no diseases? Thats an absolute load of crap. Your know it.. You know alot of exotic snakes hold the OPMV status? Hence they are carriers! And all you want to do is bring something in becasue YOU want it? Charming..We have enough problems here let alone ppl that "think" they can bring something in. Do you trust all those people that are bringing them in? Theres plenty of diseases in aust that havent even been mentioned that are being brought in by exotic animals. Lettuce leaf may be on your list mate but id be thinking about the animals first, hence obviously your werent, you were only thinking about the legal/illegal side, not the animals. Which is where the game starts unfortunatley

Last edited:
settle down people and stop the aggressive arguing please..
this thread seems to becoming personal between some members so its being closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back