keeping frozen rats

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

melly88

Reaction score
just wanting to know how long u can keep rats frozen for? as i seen the other day on a pack of 10 rats that i got from a pet shop that they are ment to be used in 4 weeks after opening.

ive seen many people selling bulk amounts of rats how do they keep them or do they just have bulk amount of snakes to feed them to?

or is the pet shop label just a guide or a lie?

I believe that you can keep them for up to 6 months, but who knows how long they have been in storage at the pet shop etc

Gex

I bought a pack of 50 frozen mice months ago....I still have about a half dozen left, and I'll keep them till the snake has finished with them. They cost me $25 for 50, can't beat that. I don't think I'd get 50 again, maybe 20 would do....but food is so expensive, I can't afford to buy just a few at a time.

I have heard of people using rodents that have been in the freezer for more than 3 years!!

anything over 12 months would be stretching it i reckon, but they can keep fine over a yr in the freezer. If you keep the rats/mice in ziplock bags, or similar, and you get as much air out as possible, to prevent freezer burn, then they should keep 9 months easy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back