Questions about Jungles

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristy86

Reaction score
Hey all,

decided to get a snake and was looking into a Palmerston Jungle Python.

Any thoughts on this snake wouldm be appreciated.

It will be my first snake!!!! Very excited!!!!

thanks all,

Tanya

im pretty sure theres 5 threads a day like this but here goes, ALL CARPET SPECIES MAKE GOOD FIRST SNAKES, bonus's with jungles - they look fantastic, they are small, can be snappy but so can any species, if they turn out snappy who cares because they seldom breach the 6ft mark

Last edited:
Hi Tanya
great snakes to keep, but can be a little bitey and some can be fussy. Although alot have been bred in the last few seasons and there are some great Palmerstons around.

Try sending a PM to The Devil, I know he has a few stunners there that eat anything and a few are quite easy going. Just ask him to pick out a good one for a first snake. ie not too snappy and a good feeder with good colour.

jungles can be very snappy but if you have to time and space to handle it alot then it will be a great snake i have got a scrubby and everyone reckons they are very cranky but mine hes is great i have a spotted and yeah hes good and i have 2 big costal carpets they are fantastic couldnt ask for any better and i have a jungle and it is great wonderful snake and gawjus

awesome snake was my first snake, check out sxr webste they stil have a few yearlings up forsale

Yes Barra man I do have some nice jungles. Actually finally got around to doing some pics and selling a couple on the weekend.
Jungles are usually very colourful, good eaters and easy to keep.

Hey,

thanks for the fast replies guys!!!

Now i'm really excited about getting a snake!!!!

Devil do you have any jungles for sale atm??

ones that would be good for a beginner???

thanks, Tanya

hey,

any ideas on what would be a good size enclosure for a hatchling???

was thinking about a 2ft square????

thanks heaps, tanya

well me personal go for an enclosure so then you can look at your new snake all the time instead of going to the click clack and opening the lid all the time but its your choice and your snake has a great home to start off with

ive had my coastal in a 60wx40dx50h cm timber viv for about 3 weeks now after it spent a few weeks in a click clack to settle in and is doing fine hes about 5 months old now had him for a month

I just got a Jungle and its a great little snake, Iv been told they are snappy but this one hasn't tried to strike once, great snakes imo.

Gex

Some of the facts:
[FONT=Comic Sans MS, Arial]Jungle carpets are the glamour queens and Prima Donnas of the herp world. Flashy yellow and black colouration provides plenty of 'wow' factor for breeders to work with. Unfortunately however, it seems like the more stunning the jungle, the more bandaged the keeper's hands. Like the warning colours of the red-back spider or the blue-ringed octopus - many jungle carpets are a 'look but don't even think about touching' proposition - at least during their first year or two. Although the transformation from pychopathic killer to trusting and compliant pet can usually be achieved with enough brave and confident handling (and band-aids), individuals from some bloodlines may only ever learn to tolerate a small amount of handling. All fun aside, from a safety perspective, bites to the face from even the smallest pythons should be carefully avoided, and it should be remembered that after any pet bites one person, any subsequent bite to another person (within an undefined period) will provide a possible vector for the spread of human blood diseases, and must be carefully guarded against. [/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS, Arial]
021cropped.jpg

Representative image of adult
[/FONT]

027cropped.jpg

[/FONT]

031cropped.jpg

[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS, Arial]All jungles originate from a relatively small portion of north Queensland, within which there are distinct populations with surprisingly recognizable differences. Some populations yield jungles that rarely exceed 1.5m in length, while in areas no more than a few tens of kilometres away the resident jungles typically exceed the 2.0m mark. The so-called 'Palmerston' jungle pythons tend to be from a particular area where small size, bright colours and an ample dose of 'little snake syndrome' are typical qualities.[/FONT]

lol who here has ever put a bandaid on a snake bite?

i think that article goes overbored stressing the you cant handle them thing, anyone would think they wrote the article about scrubs lol

I have a pair of Murray Darlings that bit me more while they were small than any of my Jungles and they are supposed to be the more placid Morelia.Its all about confidence and making no sudden movements while you are holding them and by following this you SHOULDNT get bitten.

I have a pair of Murray Darlings that bit me more while they were small than any of my Jungles and they are supposed to be the more placid Morelia.Its all about confidence and making no sudden movements while you are holding them and by following this you SHOULDNT get bitten.

My jungle obviously never read this post.

Hi Kristy

We bought a jungle for our first snake
The one thing I would strongly advise.......try to buy from a reputable breeder who will let you go and see the snakes so you can discuss your snake with the breeder.....look for a hatchy...this way you get to grow with the snake....try to look for a nice quiet hatchy....one that doesnt snap too much...it is no guarantee but a good start.

Good luck

Elizabeth

Hey guys,

thanks for all the replies!!!

as for the handling, i have handle my fair share of snakes, and been bitten, so not really that worried about that!!!!

I really can't wait until i get it!!!!

Do people recomend having them in a small enclosure to start off with????

thanks for all your help!!!!

Tanya

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back