Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
out of the four snakes me and my partner have atm, 3 of them have never bitten me and our new hatchie is the spawn of satan that likes to have a go at anything that moves. every snake has potential to bite, but i think its got alot to do with how you act around them and how you treat them.

Yeah but 3 of the 4 have bitten me!! I also agree that care should always be taken with a snake at all time, they can be unpredictable

I just got my first python. A little stimsons and the 2nd time i handled her she mistook me for food and held on for 30mins! started to think she wouldn't let go, lucky they've only got small teeth!!
had a few taps but my fault moved to quick for her.

i have 2 young bredlis when i got them they bit me about 20 times in a 5 minute handling......but they have calmed down abit now lucky to get bitten once or twice now when i handle them..they r my first snakes so it good to have an agressive hatchling helps u learn how to read your snakes behaviour , i also have a coastal male wich is a little cage defensive but once out is placid as!!

My bredli bit me on the 3rd day i had her. she has bitten me 2 other times since, i got her on friday.

Will

My first snake didn't bite me for 4 and a half years... but mainly because i get him out with a hook. I have no doubt if i just stuck my hand in there i would get bitten every time as his feeding response is phenomenal. Pretty much what happened at the 4.5 year mark, few too many beers and I just reached straight in (knowing in the back of my mind exactly what would happen but a bit curious to see what it would feel like).

Another time (when he was about 6) a mate went to get him out. I warned to use the hook because of the feeding response as I left the room to get something. Came back to find my atherton wrapped around his arm and him having a great deal of trouble trying to get the snake off. When we got him off and got my mate cleaned up the story was revealed... He had moved his fist in the tank "like a mouse" to see if the snake noticed and was indeed hungry.... A Darwin award waiting to happen that guy is :D

Anyway to answer your question yes i think it is possible if you know the snake but very unlikely as you (or him/her) will eventually have a bad day. Just part of the fun :)

I still dont think i have been fully tagged as yet, my jungle and hatchie coastal x diamond have both "headbutted" me but that was my fault as they were due for a shed and the old habds in the enclosure trick.

Having said that my new adult male diamond is a pycho, when i was moving from his transport tub to his enclosure with a hook he was hissing and very cranky. After a while to tried to give him a feed unsucessfully but then decided to cool him for the winter. I havent had the chance to handle him properly yet but when he warms up in a couple of months it will be a garanteed bite.

Stimson - had her 7 years and has never attempted to strike anyone.
Spotted - shortly after acquiring him as a yearling, he bit Pythondad because Pythondad was poking him in the nose repeatedly to watch him pull his head back - totally deserved that nip. Pythondad and myself have each been nicked when feeding him when his aim was off and he got us instead of the rodent. Some blood, but unimpressive. We've had him for 7 years, too.
Bredls - had them for 2 years. Male tagged my son as a hatchy, but I worked with him and had him handling well after a couple of months. Female never tried a tag.
Albino Darwins - no attempt at tagging or biting in 2 years - great temperament
Het Darwin - a bit feistier and has struck at glass when we walk by. Has only gotten me with a glancing blow when he missed a rat, but decent quantity of blood for a small puncture. I use a hook to get him out of the enclosure and he's fine after that.

Knowing your snake and its behaviour, using a hook to minimise stress in cage-defensive animals, slowly working up to regular handling and being very careful at feeding time will help you avoid bites or tags (there IS a difference IMO). If you get bitten or tagged, it's not a huge problem, unless it's a huge snake!

Ok well im too lazy to read the whole thread, But i have been keep pythons now for 3 years and have never been bitten! Im sure it will come. The snake i have kept the longest is a jungle and never have had a drama with here! Even though she has stood up a couple of times at me! My other 3 that i have kept 1 a coastal hatchy was very flighty and agressive but never ended up coping a bite. 2 another jungle hatchy was extremely quite and never even attempted to have a go at me. And now my third hatchy a little bredli hasn't even showed a sign of aggression. This should show you that with a little care you can easily advoid being tagged! Even though you will get done at some time or another!

I've been tagged by four of my pythons, hatchie olive smashed me atleast 20 times the first time I held her, port mac hatchie, adult childreni and adult woma. Wasn't as bad as some people make it out to be.

OK,

Thanks heaps for all of the responses. As you probably guessed I'm a chicken and scared of getting bitten.

There seems to be a couple of rules:

1, If you get bit it's your fault
2, Your snake actually regrets having to tag you, to make a point
3, Alcohol and snakes are a disaster
4, you drink and handle a snake, your chance of getting bitten multiplies, (Pye x number of drinks x friends/spectators x hour(24 hour clock)
5, Please correct this formula if you have more data
6, Some snakes want to bite you.
7, Some snakes have to bite you when you do something stupid, (I call this the Wife Reaction)

Thanks again all,

as I am an alcoholic I can only say: It might not happen overnight, but it will happen.

Cheers Tinky

I suggest that if your scared of getting bitten, get the snake to bite you when its a hatchy, because i doesn't hurt at all, and at the most, like a pin pushing on your skin. And dont think i'm just saying this i was seriously shocked at how painless it is.

Will

All my mates that have been bitten and i think the same. Its not the bite (even though i havent been bitten) that everyone is scared about. Its the strike that scares the sh#t out of you.

Yeah, the other day i was holding rubix and she got a bit angry, and bit my thumb, no strike or anything and it wasn't scary at all.

Will

Geeze, you guys are so full of reasurance and understanding.

Now I am expecting Tails to take a nice slow bite on me and then release after 30 mins, when I have learnt my lesson.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back