Past Woma breeders advice wanted

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danielle-S

Reaction score
I have a trio of womas, all around the four year old mark. I was hoping to breed them this year, and according to the books, the time has come. I have introduced the male to the females enclosure.......and....nothing. She goes in her hide, he goes up the other end of the enclosure. In the morning, they bask together, in the evening they hide together. Ive checked on them several times a day and I havent noticed and different behaviour. Of course, I cant check on them through the night. The male is only reletively new to me, and I was told he didnt perform his 'duties' last season, even with the introduction of a rivals shed. They've been together for nearly a week, and Im about to introduce him to the other female on Monday. I've been monitoring temps, and these seem to be accurate.
Id really like any advice from past breeders whether Im doing this right, and any suggestions you might have for improvements.
Thanks in advance

How many hours of heat do you have them on atm? I put some together abour half an hour ago, and he's allready copulating with her. They're generally very quick (womas, most snakes actually). If he hasn't done the job in the past it's likely he might not be upto it, some animals are just like that and won't breed.

Thanks for your reply, No-two.They have heat from 8am till 6 pm. I thought he might be a dud r**t:rolleyes: Do they put on any special behaviours? like tail wagging or pacing? My two girls have been pacing their cage fronts for the last few weeks.

Thanks for your reply, No-two.They have heat from 8am till 6 pm. I thought he might be a dud r**t:rolleyes: Do they put on any special behaviours? like tail wagging or pacing? My two girls have been pacing their cage fronts for the last few weeks.

My girl has been tail wagging as soon as she see's the male, though it is the male who has been pacing the cage front. Are you sure yours are girls?

Yeah they pace quiet a bit, if the male wasn't pacing then he probably isn't interested, the females will tail wag aswell, allthough probably not all of them. It's normally quiet a fast thing (they'll hook up fast, and males will follow females (if they're interested, it's still quiet early) I introduce about mid may (normally in about another week or two) but I know a few people that wait until June, where others seem to thing march and april are good (but I doubt it does anything).

Just to clarify, females pace quiet a bit.

Since '87 i have had woma's copulating..........Observed them in January, February, March, April, May, June, July and August...............The best results i have experienced are from Pairings around Mid June.....to.....Early July..........
Hope this helps

Thanks guys for your replies. I think I'll try and find another male before June, and give them both a go. I guess with quarentine issues, there's no 'sireing' service available ;) Shame. Thanks again

I don't lower temps at all, I just take a few hours away, but yes a few degree change would probably work.

Thanks guys for your replies. I think I'll try and find another male before June, and give them both a go. I guess with quarentine issues, there's no 'sireing' service available ;) Shame. Thanks again

Be very care full in rushing out and introducing another critter into what you have already! The whole quarentine issue comes in to play right from the purchase of a new animal, You could quite easily bring in a miriad of problems that will not only negate any breeding attempts but could cost you a lot in either vet bills or lost animals!

Flicked mine together tonight, the female is trying to push her self in the male and tail wags as well as smears.

the male on the other hand just paces the enclosure....

still keeping an eye on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back