the best tool

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pyrodarknessanny

Reaction score
quick question, i need to cut some mallimine / participial board
got it all measuered up, but what saw is best to use for this task, the board is 2cm thick

and i have a choice of
a jig saw (2 actually)
a circular saw
or a bench saw, the bench saw kind of scares me thou

for long straigh edges stay away from the jig saw. i would go the bench saw but the circular saw would be fine as well. after all they are the same thing but with the blade facing a different way.

thanks for the advice, ill get dad or someone to fire up the beast and cut this board for me
oh while im hear, the board is going to be for a hatchie rack, whats the best way to make a groove to cram heat chord in to ?
ideal i want to avoid chipping the malimine too much, but the chord/grove will be covered with that insulation tape stuff

If you clamp a board to serve as a running guide, you could use either the circular saw or the jigsaw, However I would use a circular saw (as long as it has a sharp blade and at least 1200 watts for clean cuts) to save time and avoid hand cramps.... That said though, if you have a table saw set up that is capable of taking whole sheets of melamine, than that's the tool for the job.....

If you clamp a board to serve as a running guide, you could use either the circular saw or the jigsaw, However I would use a circular saw (as long as it has a sharp blade and at least 1200 watts for clean cuts) to save time and avoid hand cramps.... That said though, if you have a table saw set up that is capable of taking whole sheets of melamine, than that's the tool for the job.....

Definatley dont use a jig saw as the blade will wander leaving you with anything but a straight cut,even if you run the housing against a straight edge the blade will flex.Stick to either the table saw or a circular saw both using a straight edge as a guide and factor in the width of the blade also if you have only just enough material.

also get the most number of teeth on the blade as possible to help minimise the chipping

to groove it a router is the best, otherwise being careful with bench/circular saw set the depth required and carefully cut where needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back