love is in the air

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pyrodarknessanny

Reaction score
this guy's proving to be quite the stud, fingers crossed that both girls will become gravid

this breeding trio is an Alice springs type pair and a NSW type female, as you can see all 3 are a nice light sandy color. (sorry for the quality the photos are off of my phone) the Alice female is the biggest out of the 3, the NSW female and Alice male are about the same size the NSW female also has a partial dorsal stripe
and for the hatters out there the corss locality clutch WILL be labeled as such, so don't give me grind about it, its pointless and wont change a thing!

NSW X Alice.jpgAlice X Alice.jpg

You get more flack from subspecies crosses than locality crosses. Nice to see the stud already putting the moves on his ladies. I hope they have lovely clutches for you.

thanks for the comment, i started a thread at the start of the year asking about locality crosses, and few individuals had a jump up and down about it, think they were a little confused on what exactly constitutes a hybrid

at any rate, they are looking good, and so far every thing is going well with them.
i will keep this page updated for who who are intrested to see how it pans out

Thatws awsome!!!my childrens were goin at every now and then a couple of weeks ago but they seem to have dropped of a fair bit lately what are your day and night temps?

its getting up to 28/30 during the day, and dropping to 19/17 during the night.
I've got him on a rotation system, 4 days with one girl, 2 days rest (by him self) then 4 days with the other girl.
they are all heated with heat mats.

cheers mate, got a pair of diamonds ill be putting together a bit latter on too , hope they will as enthusiastic as the stims

Crossing those two localitys makes as much sence as your signiture.
can i ask why you crossed those two localitys? when you would get
pretty much the same thing if you keep the animals pure?
can one be called a hater for haveing common sense pyro?

I don't see what's wrong with it, although I wouldn't do it myself, especially if I knew the locality, but plenty of people are breeding things they have no idea of locality. Technically speaking you're creating hybrids by crossing known localities, but it's just the same as people breeding unknown loocality stimmies, and you've also got to be pretty confident what you're breeding is the locality you're saying it is...

It's normally a money thing, if you don't have partners for particular localies (such as ones hard to source) many people will cross them just so they can make that bit of extra cash from the unknown locality babies, I would just wait but each to their own.

true, and again the only real way to know fore sure that the animals ARE from that locality is to go out and catch them your self.
and as we all know that too is frowned upon

true, and again the only real way to know fore sure that the animals ARE from that locality is to go out and catch them your self.
and as we all know that too is frowned upon

I don't think that to be the case, you can buy them as wildcaught animals which is generally a pretty safe bet from the people catching them themselves. If you really want something, theres generally a way to get it, locality pure or not.

It's normally a money thing

Maybe some people just don't care that much about localities, or purity, for that matter. It doesn't have to have anything to do with money.

Nice looking snakes, pyro. Would love to see how the offspring turn out!

Maybe some people just don't care that much about localities, or purity, for that matter. It doesn't have to have anything to do with money.

Nice looking snakes, pyro. Would love to see how the offspring turn out!

I beg to differ.

thanks Kristy_07, i will keep this updated with how things go,

to EVERY ONE who is still determined to give me a hard time over this, i suggest that you READ ALL of the opening post,
then if your still confused refer to my signature

"If you say that you are 100% purest, then you are also a RACIST. If you say you are NOT a racist, then you ARE a hypocrite. If you then say you are not a hypocrite, then you must be LYING"

Brian from Snake Bytes made some interesting comments at the Wild Expo dinner about breeding. He said that there will always be a market for locality animals, but the pet market is strongest for animals that just look interesting/good. In the end, it's what the buyer is after. (If animals are from nearby localities, there will be gene flow between populations so you don't really have a case of hybridisation anyway.) It doesn't have to be just one way or the other in the hobby - there is room for both. If a cross produces plain animals, it's unlikely the breeder will put them together again. However, you must have a try to see what you get.

Gee there is some BS about "locality" crossing. Is it okay to breed a MD from SA with a MD from Victoria or QLD? IF its not, is it okay to cross a SA Renmark locality to a Banrock Station? How many people here would even know the difference between them?

Just seems that the ''locality'' is the new fun thing to rave on about... years ago it was just hybrids that were terrible now locality line breeding is only expectable? I think its a good thing that there is a nice little stockpile building up of locale specific species building up for future use in whatever scenario... But people are going to do whatever they are going to do for whatever reason, If i want to breed my jungle's to my bredli's then i will..or locale to locale..Or pit bull to a poodle, there's plenty of room in this hobby for everyone's taste in their animals..

thanks for the input, while i do agree that it is nice to get local specifics, and you do see some nice ones around like the wheat-belt Stimson or Palmerston jungles, but there seams to be some confusion over whats a hybrid and locality animals.
i honestly think its laughable that people are so intent on getting there panties in a knot over locations. at the end of the day there still the SAME species of snake, and theirs just as many unknown locality animals being paired up if not more. a Tully jungle x to a Palmerston jungle will still produce jungles, a blond spotted to a "normal" spotted will still produce more spotteds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back