Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aiigaru

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Is there any information on snakes (and in particular,coastal carpets) being high in yellow pigment? I understood this mutation to be called "xanthic" (at least in terms of botany?). I may be wrong, however xD

I would be very grateful for any information people have :)

I've read about Xanthic lines of ball pythons..Nothing really on Carpets though

in snakes its actually called "Axanthic" and it means no yellow or a major lack of yellow thats why when you breed an axanthic with an albino it makes a pure white snake.
i dont think its ben discovered in carpets yet but i know its in bhp, ball pythons ect... no anteresia either.
cheers

I know what "axanthic" is. Im refering to "xanthic" which means an increase of yellow pigment. It's a common term used in botany, hence why I asked. Im interested to see if anyone has any information on carpets that have increased yellow or orange pigmentation.

Some of the 50:50 or RP jungles could possibly be thought of as hyperxanthic??

You would think so. The question is though, is it an actual genetic mutation or just a couple of pretty looking snakes? I cant find much information about it =/

Ive seen the term "xanthic" quite often on American forums in regards to leopard geckos and tree frogs.

It is more likely polygenetic rather then a single mutation. Except for Jags of course.

The super Zebra morph overseas would be an example of a mutation leading to hyperaxanthism I suppose.

isnt a t-positive albino a xanthic?
if you go onto ralph davis reptiles.com it says that
is so the t+ childreni is a xanthic isnt it?

I know in balls they call them a T positive/caramel albino, few photo's around of West Papuan carpets that have increased Yellow that they're calling Xanthic

isnt a t-positive albino a xanthic?
if you go onto ralph davis reptiles.com it says that
is so the t+ childreni is a xanthic isnt it?

Albinos (T+ and T-) might look hyperxanthic, but they don't have more xanthophores than they would if they weren't albino, it's just that the xanthophores (yellow pigments) aren't being covered up by melanin (black and brown pigments). So instead of a duller snake, you have a brighter, more yellow (or orange and red) snake.

If you have a yellow wall and paint it black, it looks black. If you take the black away, it looks yellow, even though there isn't any more yellow there than there was when the black paint was covering it.

Children's Pythons don't have a great deal of xanthophores, so T+ and T- albino Children's Pythons don't have much yellow to show when the melanin is taken away. They're a bit more like a white/cream wall painted black. If you take the black away, there's not much yellow beneath to be shown.

So youre saying that the xanthic appearance is limited to albinos due to the lack of melanin? What would you say then of snakes (and Im referring mainly to carpet pythons) that have a large amount of black colouration, but are very yellow other wise?

Melanophores
These cells synthesize and contain black and brown pigmentation known as melanin. There are two kinds of melanophores present, dermal and epidermal. Dermal melanophores are located in the upper dermis, while epidermal melanophores are located in the lower epidermis skin layers.

The process of creating melanin is fairly simple. Tyrosine, which is a type of amino acid, is converted into dopa, and then into dopaquinone in the presence of tyrosinase, which is synthesized by the melanophores. Dopaquinone is later modified into melanin and deposited in the appropriate melanophores. This is the root of the terms 'Tyrosinase-positive (T+)' and 'Tyrosinase negative (T-)' albinos.

In T- albinos, tyrosinase is not produced by the melanophores and no melanin is ever created in the melanophores. The result is an animal possessing absolutely no black or dark brown pigment whatsoever.

In the T+ form of albino, tyrosinase is produced but is blocked from gaining access into the melanophores. Simply put, all the parts are there - they just can't mix. However, in most specimens there is a certain amount of 'mixing' that occurs by cells disrupting or possibly by osmotic transfer. The exact method is unclear, and may vary. What is clear is that T+ albinos are generally darker than their counterparts, often containing traces of melanin deposits that result in a slightly darker look than the T- albinos of the same specie. Often red coloration is particularly prominent and many times the eyes are dramatically darker than expected.

Xanthophores
These chromatophores produce red and yellow pigments known as pteridines. These may vary in color from pure yellow to pure red, as well as intermediate shades. Xanthophores possessing a predominantly red coloration are referred to as erythrophores.'

The Learning Center - Chromatophores

I would hazzard a guess that the Bumblebee BHP was xanthic... But since it was stolen before being successfully bred, proving it's genetics might be a little tricky.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back