Is a heat mat covered over with glass good?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Craigis11

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

My enclosure has a heat mat with glass covering and a hide on top of the glass.
I have a 3 year old atherton python and was wondering do i jump up to a heat lamp now or wat?

Here is a pic of the enclosure
UNIT 004.jpg

so thats the hide to the right and under that I have a heat mat with glass over it

Thanks

Last edited:
A tile would be better than glass , do you have a thermostat for the heat mat?

cheers nico

the heat required to crack glass would be caused by a malfunction of some sort, of which the broken glass would prob be the least of his problems. If the thermo is keeping the glass at 30 degrees than the mat would be 40ish which is quite safe when it comes to glass. No different really to those that have heat mats directly under glass tanks imo

bottom ov my enclosure is glass i got a heat mat under it and ( princess) loves it temp is xactly like yours ...feeds & handles like any one would wish .. if this helps :) also it take a very high temp to crack the glass which could only result in the heat mat being faulty .. so its the heat mat realy not the glass

its not usually the high temps that crack glass but quick changes in temps ie from cold to being heated up very quick

i realise that spanna but just commenting on the post above mine........ if the heatmat is on 24/7 with glass on topthe 3-4 degree variation when the thermo switches on/off/on isnt enough to cause the glass to crack, so the only other way to crack the glass would be excessive heat. even drops of cold water onto 30 degree glass would be verh hard to crack it

i realise that spanna but just commenting on the post above mine........ if the heatmat is on 24/7 with glass on topthe 3-4 degree variation when the thermo switches on/off/on isnt enough to cause the glass to crack, so the only other way to crack the glass would be excessive heat. even drops of cold water onto 30 degree glass would be verh hard to crack it

Where did I say that it's because of the high temps? I said "if you're not careful". Which is true.

I had a heatmat that I was using under a glass tank for a pair of mice in the winter (because they were sick and it was recommended by the vet).
I had it on for 2 hours, off for 2 hours... it cracked the bottom of the tank. The heat mat isn't malfunctioned, doesn't get too hot when left on for ages - reached about 35C after my trial of leaving it on for 6 hours.

And thus I reached the statement in my original post; if you're not careful heatmats can crack glass.

Where did I say that it's because of the high temps? I said "if you're not careful". Which is true.

I had a heatmat that I was using under a glass tank for a pair of mice in the winter (because they were sick and it was recommended by the vet).
I had it on for 2 hours, off for 2 hours... it cracked the bottom of the tank. The heat mat isn't malfunctioned, doesn't get too hot when left on for ages - reached about 35C after my trial of leaving it on for 6 hours.

And thus I reached the statement in my original post; if you're not careful heatmats can crack glass.

Dont know what your problem is, you have attacked my quote but not the other one stating heat cracking glass, but if you read my post you quoted i have actually said if the heatmat is on 24/7 with a thermo,Thus being careful. Not on for 2 hour then off for 2 hours, the temp spikes would be huge in cold weather. Ever thought there was an imperfection in the glass which has led to your issue rather than the heatmat causing it? Obviously you are an expert so i will leave all your expert opinions for others to interpret

BTW have a nice day

Heat mats can burn your house down - after they've killed your snake from smoke inhalation if the mat is inside the enclosure.

Even very low-wattage mats can get dangerously hot if the thermostat fails - and thermostats DO fail sometimes. I've seen melted polystyrene foam, cracked aquarium bottoms and badly scorched table tops on several occasions, where people believe that a 5-7W heat mat is harmless. They can be VERY dangerous if not used correctly.

It should always be OUTSIDE the enclosure, and always have an airspace between it and the floor of the enclosure to allow air to circulate and moderate the temps in the event of a thermostat failure.

People often scoff at this precaution, but you only have to have a problem once and you may regret it for the rest of your life.

I use heat cords for these reasons :D

Pythoninfinite said:
Heat mats can burn your house down - after they've killed your snake from smoke inhalation if the mat is inside the enclosure.

Even very low-wattage mats can get dangerously hot if the thermostat fails - and thermostats DO fail sometimes. I've seen melted polystyrene foam, cracked aquarium bottoms and badly scorched table tops on several occasions, where people believe that a 5-7W heat mat is harmless. They can be VERY dangerous if not used correctly.

It should always be OUTSIDE the enclosure, and always have an airspace between it and the floor of the enclosure to allow air to circulate and moderate the temps in the event of a thermostat failure.

People often scoff at this precaution, but you only have to have a problem once and you may regret it for the rest of your life.

Lovely enclosure, by the way.

Dont know what your problem is, you have attacked my quote but not the other one stating heat cracking glass, but if you read my post you quoted i have actually said if the heatmat is on 24/7 with a thermo,Thus being careful. Not on for 2 hour then off for 2 hours, the temp spikes would be huge in cold weather. Ever thought there was an imperfection in the glass which has led to your issue rather than the heatmat causing it? Obviously you are an expert so i will leave all your expert opinions for others to interpret

BTW have a nice day

I don't see how I was attacking you when I was clearly just giving a statement of true events.

I never claimed to be an expert, I've just experienced a heatmat cracking glass. Don't know why you're getting your panties in a knot over that.

You responded to my first post as saying that "the heat required to crack glass would be caused by a malfunction of some sort".
I replied to your next post, because you said you were replying to my post with your first post... and you still seemed to think that the only reason glass would crack is with excessive heat...

Anyway, you are simply supporting my first post by saying "Thus being careful" in this post.
I hope you realize that you've tried to cause an upstir for absolutely no reason but to end up supporting what my original post says.

And to answer your question: It was a new tank and it had no imperfections.

Oh, and BTW - it's nighttime. Not day, but thanks anyway for the sarcasm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back