Shedding, a small problem?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Misha

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey all.

Saturday night my jungle had a shed. On Sunday morning I took him out to remove the skin and I saw that there was about 4cm of old skin still left on his tail. Is this an issue or will it come off next shed?

Thanks.

You'd better get him in a warm bath and remove it. Retained sheds, especially on the tail, can cause problems.

left on it could potentially cause major problems, i've had the same issue with new arrivals, get it into a bath, i then found that encircling the body with a damp towel (or hand towel or face washer) and keep light pressure on it and let the snake slither out of the towel, - maintain gentle pressure on the towel as the snake reduces in size toward the towel, it may take a couple of 'laps' in the towel, but it beats risking injury, by leaving it on

don't try forcing it off by peeling it,you may do more damage than help the problem.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information. As soon as I get home I will throw him in the bath.

anyone ever use that shedding help spray? it keeps the skin hydrated etc to make shedding easier

often for sale on ebay

Yeap, definitely have to be removed. Last time my spotted had retained shed on his tail it had to get cut off. It has a stumpy tail now. lol

next time your baby is due for a shed give it a light mist morning and night and you will find the skin will come away without a problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back