Terri Irwin pushes ahead with LA Zoo site

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Educate, educate, educate.

I dont think Terri Irwin is qualified to educate once, definately not three times. That said if you throw enough money at looking like you are into conservation you will achieve some good, but their conservation message seems to be little beyond marketing. The worst part is that their bleeding heart ignorant approach actually misguides or deters those who are interested in real conservation. I think they need to endanger some more infants for publicity, maybe they could get Michael Jackson to dangle a annaconda out a window, while its wrapped around a baby above a pit of crocs, while the baby is holding a inland taipan.

Scotty, i thought she was against the mining because it was interfering with their cattle station (aka conservation land to the public lol)? Maybe you are getting mixed up with the support for the failed Mary River dam that would likely threaten the survival of a number of unique species.

Just to clarify, I definitely find a lot of the things they do very cringe worthy. I was in Big W a few months ago and spotted some "Australia Zoo" branded tents. Treading the fine line between profitability and integrity must be a hard task, but that's quite obviously on the wrong side of the line!

Just to clarify, I definitely find a lot of the things they do very cringe worthy. I was in Big W a few months ago and spotted some "Australia Zoo" branded tents. Treading the fine line between profitability and integrity must be a hard task, but that's quite obviously on the wrong side of the line!

and did you hear little Bindlie's advertising voice all over the store (Big W)? Maybe they should relocate to US altogether, more money to be made there. After all, that's what it's all about.

i was friends with the irwins- steve and his family terri, bindi i even went up there several times to help him out and and stayed up there at beewah for a while, but after the death of my mate i feel terri's intrests have changed from the irwins as i knew them, Bob was the keystone of the family and now he is an outsider, the park was the foundation of their life and now childrens entertainment is, the parkk is run so different than when steve was there as a family, i didnt work for money but for love i lived in sydney so short stays only but i became a family member as steve once said my father was at the park the day he died and i was only one of a few to know but his death did quickly spread around the park its not something the park could hide as the faces on the staff said it all as the news spread, i used to support the irwins but feel that steves intrests are no longer terris and the park is a tool to generate massive incomes for the family i believe this was also the worry of bob irwin .

RIP STEVE i miss you today like yesterday !

The Wenlock River issue not as straight forward as that. I'm not sure of the figures exactly, but it was the Irwin's notoriety, not their money, that contributed to the cause. It was other independently funded environmental NGOs that did the vast majority of the legwork. But you can't deny that tagging Steve's name onto a fundraising spiel often made the job a whole lot easier for the public to get involved in ;)

In terms of leaving the cattle up there, again, a multifaceted issue. Until the focus for Nth Qld's economy changes from mining to eco-tourism entirely, to take all the cattle away from that area would leave a lot of people without jobs, including many Aboriginal communities. While cattle still have a major environmental impact, between them and the proposed mining practices for up north, the cattle are the lesser of two evils. You can't change the planet all at once, but there are lots of good things being put into place for up north as we speak.

The Wenlock River has just been declared under the Wild Rivers Act - no more major development on the river, more chance of natural area being turned into Aboriginal-managed national park area, and a much better chance of seeing Cape York World Heritage listed in the near future.

It's really good to hear from someone with first hand experience, unbiased and honest point of view. Thanks for sharing.

In terms of leaving the cattle up there, again, a multifaceted issue. Until the focus for Nth Qld's economy changes from mining to eco-tourism entirely, to take all the cattle away from that area would leave a lot of people without jobs, including many Aboriginal communities.

Kristy, this is the only bit some of us see differently. The number of families living and running cattle on the Cape can be counted on one hand (sort of speak) and the number of people they employ is the same. The Aboriginal cattle stations are not doing well, some have closed down but political correctness doesn't allow for any such publicity. I dare to say, if the government gave a million dollars to each of the cattle station owners, let them stay on or move away if they wish, it wouldn't be such costly exercise after all. Shoot all the cattle, declare the whole Peninsula a wilderness, inaccessible to industry and mining - there aren't too many places like that left. That's just my opinion.

i was friends with the irwins- steve and his family terri, bindi i even went up there several times to help him out and and stayed up there at beewah for a while, but after the death of my mate i feel terri's intrests have changed from the irwins as i knew them, Bob was the keystone of the family and now he is an outsider, the park was the foundation of their life and now childrens entertainment is, the parkk is run so different than when steve was there as a family, i didnt work for money but for love i lived in sydney so short stays only but i became a family member as steve once said my father was at the park the day he died and i was only one of a few to know but his death did quickly spread around the park its not something the park could hide as the faces on the staff said it all as the news spread, i used to support the irwins but feel that steves intrests are no longer terris and the park is a tool to generate massive incomes for the family i believe this was also the worry of bob irwin .

RIP STEVE i miss you today like yesterday !

It's funny how opinions can differ so greatly. Growing up on the coast, I had many friends who were close friends with Steve's family through school and the surf circles, and I worked at Oz zoo for awhile.

I think it's unfair to say Terri is the one whose interests have changed, and have changed the park. Behind the scenes, many of the park's poor management decisions were made before Steve died. I saw things in that park (and heard of many more even after I had quit) that the Irwin's should not be proud of.

I think they walk a fine line between conservation and big-buck stagecraft.

Kristy, this is the only bit some of us see differently. The number of families living and running cattle on the Cape can be counted on one hand (sort of speak) and the number of people they employ is the same. The Aboriginal cattle stations are not doing well, some have closed down but political correctness doesn't allow for any such publicity. I dare to say, if the government gave a million dollars to each of the cattle station owners, let them stay on or move away if they wish, it wouldn't be such costly exercise after all. Shoot all the cattle, declare the whole Peninsula a wilderness, inaccessible to industry and mining - there aren't too many places like that left. That's just my opinion.

I agree with you, Michael, and your plan sounds good... in theory ;) But the government won't just turn over Cape York in one hit to the environmentalists and declare it a wilderness area. Not yet, anyway ;) And a million each wouldn't even begin to cover the cost of the stations, land value, livestock value, feed... no where close. In my opinion, it's a pipe-dream to think the government will just pay out the industries and save the environment.

So, while I agree with you about the failure of the cattle stations, I still believe that it would be better to keep the cattle stations and axe the mining practices first, and then phase out the cattle into World Heritage listing instead :)

I don't have an opinion one way or the other as I will never know all the facts.
One thing I would like to know is 'how come any successful venture always seems to come down in some peoples minds as a money grabbing venture???
And if it is, why is it any business of ours??
If you do not agree with what they do, then don't add anything to it...it is easy really.

I agree with you, Michael, and your plan sounds good... in theory ;) But the government won't just turn over Cape York in one hit to the environmentalists and declare it a wilderness area. Not yet, anyway ;) And a million each wouldn't even begin to cover the cost of the stations, land value, livestock value, feed... no where close. In my opinion, it's a pipe-dream to think the government will just pay out the industries and save the environment.

So, while I agree with you about the failure of the cattle stations, I still believe that it would be better to keep the cattle stations and axe the mining practices first, and then phase out the cattle into World Heritage listing instead :)

Of course it's dream. The Aboriginal issue is huge and it will always stay in way of conservation (as we know it). Last thing I wish is for the Cape York to be handed over to the Aboriginies - it would simply end up being another Arnhem land - locked up to non-Abos, permits, royalties, bull....

I don't see much of a problem with an "Australian Zoo" themed park in Las Vegas? I can only imagine with Terri at the helm, that it would be a subtlty themed, quaint little out of the way place where exhausted gamblers could rest their heels and revel in the desolote ambience of the Aussie Bush.....;-)

Of course it's dream. The Aboriginal issue is huge and it will always stay in way of conservation (as we know it). Last thing I wish is for the Cape York to be handed over to the Aboriginies - it would simply end up being another Arnhem land - locked up to non-Abos, permits, royalties, bull....

Don't lose hope, Michael!!! :D All the work I was doing last year was pushing towards some big environmental goals for Australia. So far, the Wenlock is protected, the Murray River red gums in NSW are protected, and the CEOs of Gunns ltd. have stepped down :) Big things happen all the time, because people WANT to see the beautiful places of Oz protected. And when people get involved, this can happen!!

The conservation plans for Cape York that I was made aware of last year did not include turning it into another Arnhem land, but involving the communities up there in the process of finding, and then managing, the balance between protection and tourism for everybody. In my opinion, the Wenlock is a great start!

And bringing it back on track, Fay's right. The Irwin family-name made a huge contribution to this environmental win because of its fame. But if you don't agree with where they spend their money or the management practices, you could always support a good NGO that are working just as hard towards conservation, and not making a profit to boot :D

It's funny how opinions can differ so greatly. Growing up on the coast, I had many friends who were close friends with Steve's family through school and the surf circles, and I worked at Oz zoo for awhile.

I think it's unfair to say Terri is the one whose interests have changed, and have changed the park. Behind the scenes, many of the park's poor management decisions were made before Steve died. I saw things in that park (and heard of many more even after I had quit) that the Irwin's should not be proud of.

I think they walk a fine line between conservation and big-buck stagecraft.

I think they wave walked this fine line for many many years now and quite frankly have well and truly stepped over it in the last few years.

I can only hope that the Australian Government does not allow the export of our Native wildlife for the purposes of stocking the proposed zoo in Las Vegas.

:lol: Kristy, you have done it - I am born-again optimist now.:lol:

Actually, I was "almost involved" in helping their campaign but unfortunately, the Oz Zoo is an impenetrable fortress. Six months ago, the Reptiles Australia Magazine editor tried to contact them no less than 3 times with the suggestion that I would do a photo shoot at their CY property with the angle on reptiles. I was prepared to drive up in my own vehicle at my cost, do the shoot, write the story. The magazine guaranteed it will be published, so they didn't think I was trying to got there just for bit of a good time. No answer, no acknowledgement, no nothing. Bit disappointing.

ahh after reading this it seems that people have the same underlying mistrust for Terri as i do.

She may be a good hearted person, a great mother, and a "devoted" conservationist, but there are just too many things that "FEEL" off about her. I was watching foxtel a little while back, and collision course (croc hunter movie) was on. The way she was "acting" in that film is just like the way she talks to the cameras when she's interviewed - VERY FAKE. I'm just waiting for her to announce that she's knickin' off back to the states, taking the kids, the money, and a heap of our animals.

She has nice hair & eyes (i don't know - trying to find something positive to say???) but even with that said - I still feel like jumping in the shower and having a good scrub (due to her making me feel dirty) after seeing her on TV - and don't even get me started on Bindi and the exploitation there.

I personally wouldn't care what Terri does, she is her own person who shouldn't be held to the ideas and values of steve. If she wants to make money outside the 'conservation' area, go back to the US, taking kids money etc, and start up another zoo good on her. I think it would be hard living in someone's shadow all the time.

I'm sure if she wanted to move animals from here to the US zoo the Australian Gov would allow it.

She won't be living in Steve's shadow all the time. Bindi and Bob are being groomed to step into daddy's shoes and beyond. Time will tell how important "conservation" in Australia is important to her.
But hey, good luck to them all. After all, Steve would have been nobody and their empire wouldn't exist without her business savvy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back