Thoughts? Adult Rat

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

symbol

Reaction score
Hi all

I found my male adult breeding rat dead today. It appeared to be healthy etc....nothings changed. The only thing that has just occured to me is I did give them a banana the other day which I haven't done before, however the two females look fine as does the other tub of rats I gave banana too. The only other observation I made was its penis appeared to be hanging out.

Anyone have any thoughts on its death???

Agreed... rats die unexpectedly quite often, and it's often a heart attack. Geez it'd be a good way to go though! :p

I had one of my breeding females die a couple of months ago, but when I went in to do the feeding, it looked like an alien had burst out of it's chest, a large gaping wound (through the ribcage) and her intact liver was hanging out, however her heart was missing... I contemplated culling that colony, but waited to see if I had any other deaths and mutilations, but I have never had another problem with them (however I watch my fingers when feeding and changing them)

In all seriousness, are rats prone to heart attacks????

I feed bananas to the rats so I doubt it was the banana, especially if your other rats are fine after eating it.
I have had the occasional rat die for no apparent reason. If that happens and there are others in the cage they bury it - they don't do anything like yours did caustichumor!

My rats are given all sorts of fruit, banana included with no drama

I beleive rats should not be given the seeds from apple as it's toxic to them

Probably died of old age, rats lifespan is short like 2 yrs. - 3 yrs.max.

Adult Frozen food = $25 per Month
Juvinile Frozen Food = $20 per Month

Substrate = $15 Bi-Monthly
Cleaning Spray = $12 Half Yearly
Paper Towels = $2 per Month

100w Globe running 24hrs for 4 mths (winter) = $240 (approx)
75w Globe running 12hrs for 8 mths (summer) = $182 (approx)

75w Globe running 24hrs for 4 mths (winter) = $91 (approx)
50w Globe running 12hrs for 8 mths (summer) = $121 (approx)

So on average Im spending about $188.5 per month (approximately)

This doesn't include the setup costs which would add about $1000 min (in total) for the 2 enclosures and vet runs if needed.

lol wrong thread

I have 1000s of rats and find at least 5 dead a week which have not been killed or eaten and were healthy looking?? I believe it just happens, some live a long and happy life and other live a short and fast life!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back