Spotted Male + Female??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eitak

Reaction score
I have a male spotted about 2.5 years old. I am wanting to get him a girlfriend but am unsure of housing arrangements. He is a very, VERY placid snake almost docile :p . . I was thinking of putting them in the same enclosure which is 4ft x 2 ft x 2ft . . He did live with another snake when he was younger but that snake escaped (and yes I am 100% sure it escaped and wasn't eaten).

Just wondering if this is a bad idea??

Usually it is best to keep snakes in their own separate enclosure until breeding season...
Might be ok though. Hopefully someone else will have something to say about this as well.

I am like you, looking for a male for my female but he will have his own house.

Oh if only you lived closer we could pair ours up for "play" dates :p

It's been suggested that because a wild antaresia's diet consists naturally of other snakes (I'm sure someone told me 30% once, but don't quote me) that they are a particularly risky species to keep together.

They should be fine together Ive had my male and female spotteds in the enclosure for the last 8 years and theres never been a problem.

Here is a little thought "QUARANTINE"
You should never introduce a new animal to your others in under 6 to 12 months, Just in case it harbours a nasty supprize!
The same goes for breeding loans, dont do them!
All new animals should be kept in a completly seperate area away form existing ones and have thier own set of equipment that never comes in contact with you other animals.

Hi Beeman

You said...dont do breeding loans
have you had a bad experience with this ?

Elizabeth

Hi Beeman

You said...dont do breeding loans
have you had a bad experience with this ?

Elizabeth

No but its not good practice to do so IMO!
Its one of the ways you could introduce a potentially fatal
pathogen into what other reptiles you own.

How would you observe good quarantine practice in such a situation, Its impossable

I second Beeman on that one its just a lil to risky and all kinds of other things can go wrong to that have really nothing to do with the animals....

So . . If I was to get a female to potentilly breed how do I quarantine her? Or can I never introduce my snake to another? Im confused . .

Here is a little thought "QUARANTINE"
You should never introduce a new animal to your others in under 6 to 12 months, Just in case it harbours a nasty supprize!
The same goes for breeding loans, dont do them!
All new animals should be kept in a completly seperate area away form existing ones and have thier own set of equipment that never comes in contact with you other animals.

Can you please explain? How does anyone ever breed their animals unless they have been kept together since birth? Or are you saying they need to be quarantined? If yes, then how do I quarantine??

I think by quarantine they mean to keep them separate for an extended amount of time... say 6 months... just to observe the snake and make sure it's not ill or carrying nasties. Once it's quite obvious your new pythons healthy then introduce them. (Note I said 'think' to all those who jump all over someone for getting it wrong)
I kept my spotteds together and never had a problem and in fact they seemed quite bonded with each other and the male would become quite protective over the female when it came to getting them out of their enclosure.

and to quarantine you would just need to keep them in separate enclosures preferably in separate rooms. Be sure to wash your hands after handling one python and before touching the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back