Baby Bearded Dragon Help!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

absinthe_616

Reaction score
i dont have time to sit on a pc researching the old threads....

yesterday he was happy, running round, perfect health, he eats really well, eats all his vegies and crickets. today i came to check him and he cant move his back legs! he tries he's twitching and still really lively, and wriggling, trying to move his back legs but he cant and i dont know what to do! i've put him in a lukewarm tub of water, but other than that i dont know what's wrong with hi. he has a UV light and a good basking spot of 36 degrees in his viv, and variable temps for cooling too. so... help?! :(

Something as serious as this needs a vet trip... but I'm guessing that there isn't any vets open for weekends in your area.

Is there anything that could have fallen on top of him or where he might of gotten stuck? Sounds like nerve damage if he is twitching... but I'm not sure.
Hopefully someone else has seen something like this and can shed some light.

not only is there no weekend vets, theres no reptile vets in gladstone. ive contacted cjpossum, whom i bought them off, hopefully ill hear back from him. he has a log in his enclosure that he could have gotten stuck under and tired to pull himself out? nothing could have fallen on him but. also, ive just found a little bluish dot on his head about the size of a pinhead... it looks like a little piece of mold? could this be a parasite of some sort?

Try some Rockhampton vets if you get desperate. I'm fairly certain the Alma Street Veterinary Clinic has a guy who deals with reptiles and are open on weekends. Also Torenbeek Veterinary Clinic has vets that come in on weekends. One of the guys there is really good with snakes, but I don't know how he is with lizards. You could try calling if anything.

Hmm, a blue dot? What is your humidity at? Also, how often is his enclosure cleaned out?

i clean it once a fortnight, since hes so little he doesnt make much mess so i dont do it every week, like my snake and blueys. and the hygrometer is on 40

There was a similar thread the other day, the outcome was the beardie ate a cricket that was too big. Problem solved by giving several warm baths. The cricket was pressing on the nerves controlling his back legs. This is from memory only, so I apologise if the details are not 100% correct. I think they were letting him soak for 20 mins or so at a time. I will try to find the thread, so I can give you more details. But try the bath in the meantime.

thanks babba! this could be very helpful, my mom bought large crickets while i was away, instead of the medium ones hes spose to have, and hes been eating those.. so hopefully its just this small problem and nothing more serious!

I just copied this from the other thread:

I've seen this happen on a few occasions, and the full spasm/"dead" looking episode is caused by insect foods that are too big. He's swallowed the head of the larger cricket whole, and at the 180 degree bend in the lower gut, it gets stuck (because cricket exoskeleton is undigestible material), and so the defecating issue and pressure on the spine - causing the spasm.
Zoojas water bath is a must, I usually tell people to use a chinese takeaway container with 2cm lukewarm water in it, half under the heat lamp so it doesn't go cold, and let him soak for 30-40minutes, let him dry for an hour, then do it again. The idea is to reduce pressure on the body so the gut can relax and let go.
Plenty of heat as listed above, and make sure he is getting some water down his throat, either by misting or a small syringe in the mouth.
In the hour off from soaking, massage his belly lightly with your middle finger, keeping your thumb on his back.
As others mentioned, UV UV UV. You can never give beardeds too much, and yes, even a cloudy day has benefits.

zoojas advice just may have saved his life he did a massive turd! was the crickets now i know not to feed him the bigger ones out of the containers i buy! :)

thank you so much! i kept his water warm and he just did a big poo... he still hasnt regained total control of his legs, but hes not twitching as much, so im going to dry him, massage him and if he doesnt come good soak him again.

this place is so helpful, i dont know what i would do without aps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back