help with guppies

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lizardboyyy

Reaction score
hi guys i gad six guppies and now only have one does anybody know why they keep dieing on me i have a 25 watt heater set at 28 degrees and i filter some gravel and some pebbles and they keep dieing

I would say 28 degrees is way too hot for guppies! When i kept them they were at 22 - 24 degrees.

I think if you are killing Guppies you should maybe stick to goldfish lol

I kept them around 25 Ii think, there is a lot more to a fish tank though, like ammonia, nitrates and all that, temperature is not the biggest concern at all really, as long as its constant, it'll be fine. Do some quick research, and you'll soon see what you're doing wrong
Cam

Mine are kept at around 22-24 and are breeding like crazy, i'd lower the temp and see how they go. I know there's a place that breeds them in dams in victoria so the water temp there would be down around 16 degrees..
Ben

At the moment I keep my guppies around 25-26 and are breeding like crazy What is your PH level btw ?

I kept mine at about 26C.
What sort of filter and air system do you have?
Do you use water conditioners?
What do you feed them?

the temp is fine, i think you will find that the problem is the PH of the water
or the fish were ill to start with

you need water conditioner/ ager... it gets rid of chlorine other nasties... probably what is killing your fish

alot of specialized aquarium shops now do free water testing. so bring in a sample. half a L should do it. they can test for ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, ph, hardness, and other various tests also. also from having from goldfish to full on tropical marine. it is the filter that will make or break a succsessfull tank setup.it does not matter what you feed to a fish or what plants you buy or what your gravel if the filter is crap. same as heat to a snake. what are you running? tell us how many L are in your aquarium then the flow of your filter (liters per hour). your filter should pump 3-4 times what your aquarium holds to be efficient. some of my filters i wouldn't clean for 4-6 months without any issues with my African Cichlids breeding readily because they were over efficent. i know this is very different to your situation but just as an example. how much filter media is in the filter? in the end 99% of problems with the average aquarium setup is because of piss poor filtration. water quality is do or die to fish. i also never used water conditioner unless i could smell the chlorine in the tap water.
so what i think you should do is 25% water change every 3-4 days and get your water tested for EVERYTHING. just open the yellow pages and ring the closest aquarium shop and ask if they do testing.
get a small bag of activated carbon and sit in the corner of the tank where there is good flow. this sucks all they bad **** out of the water quick smart and i had these permanently as they cost about 5 bucks and last 4-5 months. best biological filtration supplement you could ask for.
now for mechanical filtration. as i said before make sure your filter has got good media that is doing its job. replacement media is cheap and could very well fix your problems. i noticed you filter your gravel. that's great, your getting the waste out so the filter doesn't have to work as hard, keep that up one a week to once a fortnight if its only guppies in the tank pm or email me if you want with any issues if this dont work. i dont have a cert 3 in aquaculture for nothing. hope this helps mate and good luck with it all

As stated above you need to find out all those parameters in the tank and optimize them for the guppies.
I agree that a good filtration system will solve most problems.
A tip with guppies, try to buy locally bred stock. Imports often sit in solutions of tetracycline at the exporters, if you want to know more about this then pm me.
The only thing I would disagree with is using carbon. 'Purigen' is light-years ahead as a chemical filter media and you never have to buy more because you can recharge it.
I think it would be very risky not to use water conditioner/ager, all tap water has chlorine and chloramine in it, at low levels it will kill the bacteria in your filter and the bacteria is the whole reason to have a filter, at higher levels it will kill the fish. I suggest using 'prime', it also binds ammonia and nitrite to neutralize their toxic affects, this might just save your fish as it did my lungfish one very distressing evening. Also if Adelaide's tap water is anything like Brisbane's, at different times the tap water itself will have high levels of ammonia and nitrite so it is just much safer to use prime.

there a pretty hardy fish. did you use straight tap water or tank because if your using tank dont waste money on a dechlorinate

there a pretty hardy fish. did you use straight tap water or tank because if your using tank dont waste money on a dechlorinate

Hardy once established in the right conditions. Even if using tank water you should use conditioner for the heavy metals. On tank water, if you were using this it might be the source of problems because it is extremely soft compared to the tap water they are likely being kept in the shop in, and the change in water hardness has osmotic effects on the fish that can kill them.

What do you guys use to make the water all good?, I use Prime to remove all the nasties, have placed the bag in the water for 20 mins just in case, but temperature is usually the same and I have had this same problem 2 times now and have given up on wasting my money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back