Does anyone else make knives?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

guzzo

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Mate that got to be the most random thing iv seen posted on here.. Do you melt the springs down? are they pictures of ones you have made yourself?

i was thinking of buying some 'blanks' that ive seen in knife mags & have a go at shaping them..setting the handles, learn the basics first.. nice knifes mate, i have heard of ppl using old car springs..

Thanks Mate,

Yes I made these.....in a nutshell....I get a spring and heat it up till its glowing cherry red. I then keep slowly heating until a magnet does not stick anymore (a strange thing but it is a good indication when it is hot enough) I then straighten the spring and let it cool in the ashes of my forge. When cool I work on the spring and file away the bits that dont look like a knife...haha..until it looks like a knife.
When I am happy i again heat it up until the magnet does not stick and then quench it in old oil from my hilux.

It will be very hard now but brittle so I then heat my View attachment 150807oven to about 220 c and bake it for about two hours to temper it. I then let it cool in the oven and then it is all good to put a View attachment 150806handle on and sharpen.

I made my first forge from an old Webber BBQ and used a leaf blower to get it hot enough......worked greatView attachment 150805

I hear springs make great swords. it is very tough steel but the downside is that it will rust easily so I keep mine oiled when not in use.

How come you don't quench it in water?

Very impressive.. I'll give you a PM one day when I want a knife! Haha

How come you don't quench it in water?

Very impressive.. I'll give you a PM one day when I want a knife! Haha

Oil gives a more consistant quench. Water can lead to cracking though i know some steels are quenched in water. For spring steel i use oil....bit messy but I have had no problems....

View attachment 150809Here is one I tested. I did 100 cuts through nilon rope then 100 shaves of a block of jarrah then 100 hacks into the block of jarrah and it still cut paper.View attachment 150810

This is my second knife - bit ugly but tough as nails. My Brother in law is a pro Roo Shooter and uses it every day and swears by it.

so the next step is to buy some slaves and start making samuri swords????? in the early days they tested blades by seeing how they cut bodies lol....

Nice efforts mate, I have made a couple of knives, and it is a great hobby. And I am always looking out for old files, rasps to covert into blades... Spring steel is a good choice though and makes for a good working blade...

I have seen some great ones made from old files, if you can get really old ones i hear they are the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back