Dead Spotted Plz Help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OdessaStud

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Ive just had another of my baby spotteds die :( this time I got to see it actually happen, he went crazy writhing around his stick then turned upside down and died all within about 1 minute. He had a feed 2 days ago and was fine Im at a loss as to what to do.
Odie

Thats not good, sorry to hear. If you cant think of what causing it i would get it to a vet. Hopefully its not a virus.

All home bred feed different batches each time no others sick Ive done nothing different this time than any other time ive taken on baby's. They look dehydrated almost straight after death but they have plenty of everything they have been living in their tubs right beside my bed with heat cords and natural sun light, minimal handling , zero stress, I dont know what ive done wrong.

Heatcords and natural sunlight????
You sure that you are not cooking them?

Could it be possible that they got too hot being in the sun? Over heating isnt the sort of thing you would expect in winter but may cause something like this. I doubt food is the problem. When did the problem start?

Sorry not in the sun just light from it they are not getting to hot all heating is turned off through the day. Ive got jungles under the same conditions and they are thriving I dont know maybe they are too hot.

In my opinion there are three possibilities on what it could be: husbandry or environment, genetics or disease. If these are animals that you have bred there could be some genetic fault in the blood line that is causing them to die prematurely. Personally this seems unlikely to me and would be harder to prove than the other options. Husbandry issues such as overheating could be an issue in these animals as well. Check your temperatures and compare with accepted values. Ensure your food and water sources are free of any possible contaminants. Then there is disease. It could be a virus... or some other sort of environmental contamination. The best way to investigate the last cause could be an autopsy and histopath and would be more expensive than other options but if your animals are dying and you cannot narrow it down to anything else this may be the best option to ensure any further losses.

what you turn the heating off during the day? Hatchies should get a hot spot 24/7 and a cool end.

Best to use a min-max thermometer or a digital thermometer that can remember the maximum temperature achieved in a 24 hour period. This will help you eliminate 'heat' as the culprit.

Min-max thermometers are relatively inexpensive - just make sure you read it correctly.

Use the deceased snake's container and put in the thermometer in exactly the same conditions over at least a 24 hour period.

Obviously autopsy is important but maybe not as easily achieved.

Good luck.

what you turn the heating off during the day? Hatchies should get a hot spot 24/7 and a cool end.

are you using a thermostat on the heat cord?? If no is this the reason you are turning off the heatcord during the day?

I didnt breed these guys so I have no idea about their genetics I may as you all have said had them too warm. We live in an area where our indoor ambiant temp is around 24 degrees so I turn all heating off during the day unless its really cold. The only common factor I have found is a small stone like blood clot mid way down the snake this has been in all of them. My bad no I dont have a thermostat on the tubs just thermometers in each one.

24 degrees is still too cold for spotteds , u need to get a thermostat. how many more spotteds do u have left?

Im getttng onto the thermostat situation as we speak I have one still alive and healthy there is one common factor i have found in all of them post mortom and that is a small pea size hard blood clot 3/4 of the way down the snake.

I don't want to sound like i am having a go.... but why do people have cages and tubs with no thermostat. I understand the experienced keepers with adequate housing and heating elements to eliminate the need.... but a baby spotted python.... in a tub????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back