Dead Spotted Plz Help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The blood clot may be an inclusion body, that is not a good sign. I havnt ever over heated any snakes but i dont think this is a symtom of overheating. I would strongly reccomend contact a reptile vet and make sure you have good quarantine.

24 degrees is still too cold for spotteds , u need to get a thermostat.

No, 24C isnt going to cause any problems. Thermostats are only required for overpowered heating. I do prefer to provide heating 24/7 but it isnt going to cause them to drop dead if they dont have constant heating.

The blood clot may be an inclusion body, that is not a good sign. I havnt ever over heated any snakes but i dont think this is a symtom of overheating. I would strongly reccomend contact a reptile vet and make sure you have good quarantine.

No, 24C isnt going to cause any problems. Thermostats are only required for overpowered heating. I do prefer to provide heating 24/7 but it isnt going to cause them to drop dead if they dont have constant heating.
i never said 24c would cause them to drop dead did i .

High Five Chris.......... i have 5 x 15L tubs on a single 50w heat cord, no thermostat, all thriving......... just because a lot of people use thermostats it doesn't mean its compulsory,

and as far as the blood clot is concerned, if it were a human child i'd suggest an umbilical hernia, is it possible that it is in the same spot as the yolk would be attached ? but i have never had experience with this issue so unfortunately unable to assist,

I don't want to sound like i am having a go.... but why do people have cages and tubs with no thermostat. I understand the experienced keepers with adequate housing and heating elements to eliminate the need.... but a baby spotted python.... in a tub????

I agree with what you are saying Jay but my partner has been keeping snakes for nearly 35 years even though ive only been active for the last 10 we had until now been safe with his knowledge and experience. Believe me Im fairly certain that heating isnt the problem.
Cheers Odie

Pictures? of the snakes that is including the red spot

Do you quarantine? These snakes are new aquisitions? How long have you had them? Are they in contact with your current collection?

take any deaths like this to a vet 50 bucks for an autopsy and if he suspects OMPV you should be able to get a brain byopsy done best get a diffinitve answer....

which vet kenshin, because i dont know of any vet that would do one that cheap

Are these the 6 assist feeding ones you brought of me a month or two ago?
When did the first one die?
I still have the rest of the clutch , that I am keeping and have had no problems with any of them.

PM me please if they are the snakes you got off me.

Inclusion bodies are microscopic. They are usually present in the nucleus or cytoplasm and look like a little dot in the cell.

Well i look stupid now dont I, i thought they could cause larger thingies such as lumps etc. :oops:

Damn bearded lady, you beat me to it :)
You wont see an inclusion body without a high power microscope.
In my experience a post mortem is about $70-80, extra for histopath. Well worth it if you are losing multiple snakes but you have to get them to the vet very quickly as reptiles in particular decompose rapidly. The brain will be pretty useless in a matter of a few hours.
Where in the snake is this 'clot'? Have you got pictures?

ps: if you're in south east queensland I'd be looking at Brisbane bird and exotics clinic, or Bob Donnely at Toowoomba vet clinic.

Well i look stupid now dont I, i thought they could cause larger thingies such as lumps etc. :oops:

nah mate not stupid. The only reason i know is that ive learnt about them at uni and seen them under the microscope.

The clot could be a post mortem change though... The only way you could be certain is a pm. You could still try and ice the animal and take it to the vet. The histopath/ autopsy may not be the best but it could still be possible to discern obvious micro and macroscopic abnormalities

If you're going to get a necropsy done DON'T FREEZE IT. only put it in the fridge, will keep well in the fridge and the freezer will do more damage to the cells and tissues making it harder to analyse. Would be worth taking the remaining one to the exotics vet for bloods and faecal smears to ensure there isnt something wrong with it that you can fix.

remember

DONT FREEZE IT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back