Annoyed BHP

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Janelle22

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone

So tonight i was feeding my snakes when i noticed my BHP was eating its food bum first. not thinking much of it i let him be about 1 hour later he was in the same spot still trying to eat it. So me being the idiot i am decided to try to get it off him and start again. after a hiss and a wiggle i decided not to push it so i let him be and watched him very closely. about another hour later he got past the one spot (he couldnt get the back legs in his mouth) and finished eating. then as i was walking away he started to attack the glass and every time someone moved in the room he striked out. now he is one of the most placid snakes iv ever met and iv never seen him strike out at anyone.
Have i made my BHP aggressive by trying to take his meal off him? or will he be fine in a couple of days?

He more than likely was still in feed mode and was striking at movement rather than you as such.
Give him a few days to digest and im sure he will be back to his old self.
Maybe if this happens again throw a blanket or sheet or something over his enclosure to limit outside movements and allow him to calm down a little before removing.

Thanks everyone.
He seems alot calmer today. not striking out at all. :)

Sorry to hijack but I used to feed my woma out of the enclosure but he was so snappy I have started to feed him in the enclosure. Should I just feed him in a tub then wait for him to settle down which can take an hr then move him back in? Or should I just feed in the enclosure?

some people say feed out of enclosure but i just feed my black headed in the enclosure and he just settles down after i feed him but in your case if you want to feed him in tub just wait until he is settled yes and then put him back but in my opinion you shouldn't really stress over it my black headed doesn't associate my hand with food (It only does when im holding din dins ahahaha) Cheers

He is back to himself. I think i will never try to take his food off him again lol even if he is eating it bum first lol

Haha lesson learnt. Try taking a nice big steak from under my nose and Im sure I'd get pretty angry. Especially if I hadn't eaten in a week.

Sorry to hijack but I used to feed my woma out of the enclosure but he was so snappy I have started to feed him in the enclosure. Should I just feed him in a tub then wait for him to settle down which can take an hr then move him back in? Or should I just feed in the enclosure?

I dont think there is a right or wrong way,its up to you.I personally feed all my snakes in their enclosures for convenience and none of mine are cage defensive.
I also have a BHP that started off as a nutcase hissing and striking whenever i went near his enclosure with or without food,it didnt matter.Now ive had him for a while (he gets fed in his enclosure weekly)he has calmed done and i can remove him to clean or hold him and he is not aggressive at all.It comes down to routine i think and what they learn from you.

True that my woma Is so used to my hands I think. I can thaw his rat right nextto him and he doesn't budge but as soon as he actually lays eyes on the rat it's a whole other story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back