Does anyone else make knives?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That little skinning knife is a sweet looking blade. You should be proud they are great looking homemade knives. I didn't read all the pages, you do say they keep an edge for a while correct?
How much for the skinning knife?? ;)

@ MrHappy, in some states yes particularly in NSW. in some cases you need to be a part of a sword collecting club or an institute the uses them like a Keno or Iaido club. down here in Tasmania we are lucky. no real restrictions at all. your best bet would be to check with your local police station or to look up sword laws for your state.

Its been decided, I'm going to take blacksmithing up as a hobby and make myself a set of armour :)

What a supprisingly interesting thread!
I really want to give this a go myself, ever since the scene in highlander where he makes a sword I have wanted to have a try :D

So is it illegal for the average bloke to just own a sword?
lt varies state by state , in Vic they are very down on knives and swords and you need a permit for a lot of them [ just to own , you are not allowed to carry ] . The crazy thing is most knife crimes such as assault , murder and robbery are done with a cheap kitchen knife , not a $500 custom , folded steel , stag horn handled , collectors knife . But even if they ban knives altogether you will still be able to by the kitchen knife , its madness , knives are one of mankinds oldest and most usefull tools .

lt varies state by state , in Vic they are very down on knives and swords and you need a permit for a lot of them [ just to own , you are not allowed to carry ] . The crazy thing is most knife crimes such as assault , murder and robbery are done with a cheap kitchen knife , not a $500 custom , folded steel , stag horn handled , collectors knife . But even if they ban knives altogether you will still be able to by the kitchen knife , its madness , knives are one of mankinds oldest and most usefull tools .
so true if they want ot stab someone they will with knife or no knife. even though we dont need a permit in sa for them i may look at joining a club anyway if it wont cost too much. mine mostly sit in my wardrobe atm, was planning on having them hanging up on my walls in my bedroom only.

More often than not the weapon of choice is a weapon of opportunity. Whether it is a pair of scissors or a baseball bat even a screw driver ground to a point. I have the same argument with air soft toys. Some say you shouldn't as they can be used in a robbery, give me a couple of hours and a toy gun from a $2 story and I can have a pretty convincing prop for you to use.

Often it is the government being over cautions and you really can blame them for that...can you? ;-)

More often than not the weapon of choice is a weapon of opportunity. Whether it is a pair of scissors or a baseball bat even a screw driver ground to a point. I have the same argument with air soft toys. Some say you shouldn't as they can be used in a robbery, give me a couple of hours and a toy gun from a $2 story and I can have a pretty convincing prop for you to use.

Often it is the government being over cautions and you really can blame them for that...can you? ;-)

Can we not blame them because they are incompetent fools or because they have some reason to fear the general public? Either way a spade or car is a far more lethal weapon than a knife. Not to mention the rocks and plant products such as branches which have been used as murder weapons since before humans evolved. Even the weak nerdy Krudd has a huge mace in his workplace...

That little skinning knife is a sweet looking blade. You should be proud they are great looking homemade knives. I didn't read all the pages, you do say they keep an edge for a while correct?
How much for the skinning knife?? ;)

They keep a great edge. Sorry mate, I gave that knife to a friend.

so how many knives have you made?
and where did you get that long handled plier-like tool from?

I have made 8 knives....Started out with no tools and a lot of time.....now i have a lot of tools and no time...hahah

Oh that tool is about 100yrs old.....You can still buy them from horse shops...Some Farriers use them for horse shoes.

View attachment 151536
The large Bowie will easily chop through bone and still hold an edge...I have bought knives that will chip and warp when put under this sort of stress. You can also chop through reasonable trees by wacking the back of the blade with a branch.

Honestly I was sick of paying good money for rubbish....it really is not hard to do and I would love to see someone give it a go and post a pic. It is a cheap hobby too......The biggest cost is time which unfortunately at this time i don't have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back