Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pando26

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I have been wanting to get a snake for a while now and now I have my own place I can now do this.
I was wondering what snakes are good for a first timer.
I am looking at getting something that can be handled, that is colourful and also want to buy it young but don't want something that grows massive.
any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You

all depends on what you call massive???????

If you want a snake around the metre length as an adult ...you should look at the 'ants' ..
carpets range in sizes ,not all are really that big ..but certainly grow bigger then the ants.

My first was a Murray darling carpet python, they have nice colours and patterns and everyone that I know that has one says they are very placid, and I have to agree.
However they will grow to about 3m! There are heaps more but being a Murray Darling fan, I gotta reccommend 'em.

depends how comfortable you are around snakes really? the Antersia family is great for begginers they dont grow big at all, i find my stimson is so placid but i cant speak for all stimsons

IMO if you cant see the snake feed and handle and have some degree of its background around its food and shed since birth dont touch it but this is from my previous bad expereince not saying all breeders are like this person!!! dont get me wrong just exercise caution when they are reluctant to give information or promise to send it because they have not got it on hand!! most good breeders will provide you with a care sheet and or give you a good run down on it while your there and offer support when and if needed after sale if you should encounter any problems

i would personally go for a snake you like the look of and go from there once you find the snake you like the look of research it and see if it fits what you want

cant go past a black and gold jungle there gorjuz imo

I heard that the jungles can be really aggressive though? Would you say thats true? I've always thought about getting one but never got around to it.

I have a b&g jungle and a woma. The woma is far more relaxed and can be handled often by any one who wants to they grow to about 1.5-2 mtrs. My jungle is a cool little python with plenty if attitude but no one is game enough to handle her because she foes like to draw blood. She should calm down with age and size and will be a great looking girl.

But I would say go a woma they look great and have a pretty relaxed attitude apart from when feeding they like to get very exited

I heard that the jungles can be really aggressive though? Would you say thats true?

yes

>6ft = antaresia

dont you mean <6ft. i havnt heard of an antaresia bigger than 2m

But I would say go a woma they look great and have a pretty relaxed attitude apart from when feeding they like to get very exited

and yeh. i'd say a woma, or an antaresia if ur not completely comfortable with the frenzy at feeding time

However they will grow to about 3m! There are heaps more but being a Murray Darling fan, I gotta reccommend 'em.

I think you may have made an error there,Murrays dont reach 3 metres.

However they are great first snakes as they are very placid and docile.I have a pair of Murrays and they are completely different looking to each other.
Jungles are a different story.My first Jungle has never shown any aggression towards me and in the 2 years ive had him he has never once bitten or struck at me.BUT my second Jungle worked part time for the Red Cross i think as for the first few months she loved to take blood.

jungles are 'supposed' to be aggressive, but mine is just as placid as my 2 diamonds that i had.

I think womas' are a good start. I have 2 at the moment. One's really placid and has never shown any signs of aggresion. The other is real mean in his enclosure. Bit 5 people and counting, but once u get a hand on it, its as placid as the other one.

I find the 'feeding frenzy' exaggerated sometimes. I won't say its a frenzy, i guess i don't really see a frenzy cos i feed them in a feeding box. And I always hook them in and out of the feeding box. (learnt this the hard way)

Go get the RHD subspecies!!

Another vote for Murray darling. I have a 15 month old, and he's the most placid snake I've ever seen. I've had him for 8 months, and he's bitten 3 times. All of those times he was in his enclosure, and since I didn't have a small enough hook to pick him up with, I had to lift him out with my hands which scared him. The times he did bite, he didn't do it as hard as he could have. Outside of the tank he's never bitten, and is puppy dog tame. :D

I got a bredli for my first snake. Loved them so much I got her a boyfriend. They are awesome snakes, a little snappy when they're very little, but what snake isn't! They love their food so a snake that you don't have to worry about getting to feed! They are gorgeous, and their colours vary heaps now so finding something you like is easy.

But main piece of advice I was given when looking for my first snake was get something you like the look of. Personality is an individual snake thing, and size well, they don't grow overnight so even with your 2-3m snakes you'll have time to learn and grow with your snake if you purchase a youngster!

MurrayDarling. i have had mine since just before christmas. hasn't struck or bitten me once, never misses a feed on pinky rats and is so easy and calm when being handled. great around my little cousins too. very friendly. maybe the only issue for you would be size?

the calmest snakes I have are my sxr line jungles. have never shown even a hint of aggression.

yer the size doesnt bother me i have decided, i have enough room for a reasonable size enclosure 1200x600x600 would this be large enough for a diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back