Pin Head??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eitak

Reaction score
Hey everyone just curious I remeber briefly reading/hearing (I think, it may have been a dream :p) Something about feeding snakes food items that are too big which caused pin head syndrome.

Just wondering if someone could explain this to me, if i read/heard correct

Its from when you overfeed your snake and the body outgrows the head. And yes it does happen

Ok, its just my adult spotted has a neck almost as wide as its head . . and when I look at my diamonds heads which are quite large I wonder if its a spotted thing or pin head . . I feed him every week or two 2-4 mice (depending on the size of the mouse and how many he will eat)

Sounds like he is getting quite a lot of dinner but what age is your snake versus the size of mouse?

My snake is almost three, weighs 1kg and is aproximately 130cm long and about 11cm thick at his thickest point. Food depends . . I just get my mice from a man down the road his son started breeding them and lost interest. So sometimes I get adult mice and other times I get teenaged ones, when i get teenaged ones I feed him more if he'll eat them.

Antaresia do not have a big boof head like Morelia, so comparing the 2 isn't a good indication..

I think i've read somewhere that 'pin head' doesn't actually exist.

G'day guys,

This is just another myth that surrounds keeping reptiles in captivity - it falls into the same category as UV for skinks and monitors, giving reptiles something rough in their enclosure to assist with shedding etc. Bogus theories that are based on zero facts.

Cheers

G'day guys,

This is just another myth that surrounds keeping reptiles in captivity - it falls into the same category as UV for skinks and monitors, giving reptiles something rough in their enclosure to assist with shedding etc. Bogus theories that are based on zero facts.

Cheers
So skinks don't need UV?

PhilK - Many are kept without it. I personally would keep them on UV but many successfully keep them without providing their diet is adequate - same with Beardies.

Its called microcephalisation. In snakes its genesis is either genetically or more often, conditional. In captivity if a snake is fed small prey items all its life the head doesn't stretch and therefore grow in proportion to its body (but not always). The body therefore seems out of proportion with the head, hence the term micro (small) cepha (head). More often seen with species of Morelia.

My snake is almost three, weighs 1kg and is aproximately 130cm long and about 11cm thick at his thickest point. Food depends . . I just get my mice from a man down the road his son started breeding them and lost interest. So sometimes I get adult mice and other times I get teenaged ones, when i get teenaged ones I feed him more if he'll eat them.

I dont mean to sound mean....but teenaged mice lol do they have multiple piercings lol and dreadies lol I want teenaged mice lol I really did laugh lol

Elizabeth

G'day Ozzie,

Do you have any references or evidence that isn't purely anecdotal with regards to "pinhead" or "microcephalisation"?

Its called microcephalisation. In snakes its genesis is either genetically or more often, conditional. In captivity if a snake is fed small prey items all its life the head doesn't stretch and therefore grow in proportion to its body (but not always). The body therefore seems out of proportion with the head, hence the term micro (small) cepha (head). More often seen with species of Morelia.

Yeah I've heard that mentioned before, I think it was Rob Brown-cooper at a WAHS meeting. Are there any pictures floating around of a specimen suffering from microcephalisation?

microcephalisation

it is a human genetic disorder and results in a smaller than usual head and a smaller brain resulting in brain damage and has absolutely nothing to do with snakes !!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back