Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel_Penrith

Reaction score
Hi Guys and Gals,

Over the last few months ive sort of got the feeling that snakes are just so boring!! Anyone else feel the same? Ive started spending a good few hours in my herp room a day and to be honest watching the snakes is like watching grass grow! I dunno maybe its just me or maybe i need some new snakes!!
I find my monitors, skinks and dragons just have so much more personality. And they are so much more active!

Peace

watching snakes is like watching grass grow, most stupid thing ive ever heard

Maybe you should try spending some time in there at night?Providing they are nocturnal?
My carpets always come out at night and come a day or 2 before feed night they are always out cruising their enclosures.

I have a better idea.. if you think your snakes are boring I will set up a movement advice and you can give them to me.

If you don't like them, why on earth would you get MORE of them? That's like not liking veggies so putting more on your plate, I've never heard such crazy reasoning.

If you don't like them sell/give them away and get monitors/skinks/dragons (which I agree are certainly a lot more active)

I find carpets a bit boring which is why I sold all mine. Womas are much more interesting with their tail wagging, head bobbing, weird lying positions and enthusiasm for food lol.
Monitors are the best to watch though :D

I happen to enjoy watching my grass grow - it's something I take some pride in... I hardly see my snakes grow which really annoys me - they just shoot up over night.

Ahhhh... look at that green green grass just sprouting up... It grew almost 0.2mm today (wasn't as sunny).

Though, I did watch my most amusing golden coastal trying to negotiate her ladder... She's such a baby...

I can watch her and grass grow at the same time too...

I'm not a "lizard person" and I only have one snake, Barrie, my 2 yr old Stimmie, and at the moment I miss him because he's hiding...that winter thing !! But I think he's the most amazingly magnificent beautifully graceful, elegant, captivating creature I've ever seen in my life. Everything about him is magical....the way he moves, the way he yawns, the way he eats, the way he searches in his viv, the way he coils, the way he feels, his strength, the way he drinks............EVERYTHING......about him is just wonderful. And I feel so honoured to have him to care for. For the first 6 months I had him I didn't watch tv....not that there's anything much on tv anyway....all I wanted to do was watch Barrie......like a new mother does with her baby. :)

i like watching my coastal cruze around at night yeah he seems quiet during the day but i dont mind and i now have a woma which seems alot more active even in the day and cool to watch.

Pythons are boring...particularly the aboreal species. The only way you are going to get activity out of snakes is to keep diurnal colubrids and elapids which are far more interesting!

My woma is a lazy bugger he seems to sleep 24/7 but as some one else said 2 days befor a feed he gets crazy active and doesn't stop moving till he gets fed. This is why I am so happy with my jungle she doesn't hide all that much

well at the moment I have my spotted in together hoping they will mate...they roll around the tank all the time...then coil up in the hide and sleep...then back out and start all over again....I can sit and watch them for ages.

My little male spotted only comes out at night and sleeps all day....I get him out at night and sit with him and watch tv....they are never boring to me...and if you dont want them...I will take them off ur hands...im close to you..

you should go back and try to remember why you got them in the first place...as you chose them...they didnt choose you.

cheers

Pythons tend to like lazing about especially during the cooler months. If you're after some interesting snakes to watch move about and all, I'd look into some colubrids and elapids as Matt suggested, or alternatively, just stick with your monitors, skinks and lizards. I personally don't find any of my snakes boring, yes, even the lazy pythons, guess my attachment to them all sort of plays a role with that, but each to their own.

After getting my womas i got abit worried lol at the positions they would lay!! The tail wagging is awesome though!
At night one of them jumps at every bit of movement
I find carpets a bit boring which is why I sold all mine. Womas are much more interesting with their tail wagging, head bobbing, weird lying positions and enthusiasm for food lol.
Monitors are the best to watch though :D

snakes are extremely boring animals, much nicer seeing them actually doing stuff in the bush. saying that I do love keeping a few things, of course they don't do much, but there still cool to look at once in a while, feed, collect, annoy, hold etc. each to there own. I don't see how anyone could watch there snake and be entertained, half the time they just sit there :lol: unless of course it was actually doing something interesting which is not to often.

Thats why I can't understand people wanting all there snakes dog tame, if its not biting and running from you, whats it do.... just sit there? gotta have a lot of bitey stuff to enjoy it. otherwise even handling is no fun when it sits there motionless :lol:

To answer your question seriously I think heaps and heaps of people go through that stage of keeping reptiles. Its mostly once all the hype of keeping a snake dies down. Some people lose interest completely and exit the hobby while others try and re-find that hype feeling again. They will either get a different python, try another type of snake, or turn to a type of lizard or croc. Some people continually change over their collections once they get to the 'Ive achieve all I wanted too' with those species. Theres alot of keepers out there that once they breed something, thats the time to move onto some other species.

In a way its kind of the reasoning behind why people try and develop morphs. Best thing for you to do is find something that keeps your attention and run with that for the moment or boredom sets in and husbandary standards drop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back