decc collecting broad head dna

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jack

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
anyone know any information regarding the collection of dna from privately held broad heads by decc?

I heard they were going around suggesting all broadheads held privately in captivity are going to have to be micro-chipped.

Yes its going to happen, its part of the recovery project for the species. Also to keep tabs on paperwork and to track family trees from past and future breeding......

Who will be putting said microchips into babies that are bred in the future, and who will be paying for it?

Dont know about the microchipping of all Broadies, but I would suspect alot of current adults in captivity will be pit tagged and a DNA sample taken.

All they need is to DNA the long term captives and they can track the transactions and "paper breeding" from there, any suspect transactions will also be subject to DNA sampling to check their history. This will put a stop to the unneccessary poaching in the future and will point out any from the past......

I'd heard about it a few weeks ago, pretty interesting stuff though. I wonder if they will do it with any other species, allthough then it would just get too dificult, similar to when they took DNA from animals Dave Mackintosh has in recent months.

This is being done in conjunction with the Recovery Project. So in respect to other species they probably wont unless they are subject to a similar situation to Broadies.

Basically it is to deter further poaching and to monitor captive breeding by private herps. It will also determine if any Broadies currently held, hold any benefit to the recovery project.

I'd heard about it a few weeks ago, pretty interesting stuff though. I wonder if they will do it with any other species, allthough then it would just get too dificult, similar to when they took DNA from animals Dave Mackintosh has in recent months.

They "took" DNA from a collection of depressa a few months back. looks like they are cracking down on a few suspect species

Dont know about the microchipping of all Broadies, but I would suspect alot of current adults in captivity will be pit tagged and a DNA sample taken.

I dont know that much about it except what someone that has broadheads told me briefly about it a week or so ago. Im sure he said microchipped but may have meant pit tagged, and pretty sure he mentioned DNA too.

cheers for the info.
i very much doubt privately held broad heads will be used to repopulate wild populations- way to much disease potential.
i guess they'll contact me soon enough, and then i will know all about it.

Jack - If it is anything like the depressa situation it will be used to monitor suspect transactions.

So if you keep broadies, as well as the dna will they also be monitoring your collection more closely?

Jack - If it is anything like the depressa situation it will be used to monitor suspect transactions.

Can you fill me in on the reason behind the depressa? thanks.

H.bitorquatus - My understanding is that CALM in WA are DNA testing depressa in collections and piecing together the profiles in an attempt to link them back to animals declared around amnesty time. As there were very few declared, all legally kept animals should link easily with such a limited gene pool.

The legitimacy of animals with inconsistent DNA will then be questioned...

I must stress that this is my understanding from a few recent conversations with fellow hobbyists, I don't keep depressa so couldn't confirm that this is 100%...

yeah on the rarer and more endangered species they are checking dna to stop the flow of dodgie paperwork being provided for wild caught animals. its a good way to crack down on habitat destruction and poaching. finally they are doing something productive with our license fees.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back