marine fish tanks

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Giglamesh: yes but you can't tell from the picture! :) Flame angel, purple queen tuka, yellow tang, powder brown tang, hawk fish, bangai cardinals and a mandarin fish. And a huge peacock mantis but thankfully he left most things alone.

Jeremy: The fish I had would be fine but basically stick to small peaceful things like gobies, cardinals, tangs, anthias and chromis (but not damsels) fairy wrasse and dwarf angels after your live rock has established.

Okay those tanks look great how the hell do you keep them clean. I remember back when I kept fish cleaning was a big chore. Those tanks look like they would take alot of effort

Okay those tanks look great how the hell do you keep them clean. I remember back when I kept fish cleaning was a big chore. Those tanks look like they would take alot of effort

Actually believe it or not my tank only needs a water change every 5 or 6 months. This is really only possible because of the filter I use, a Eco System Pro 60 refugium. It's a very natural, simple system that works brilliantly. I personally would not run a salt water aquarium in any other way.

Algae is scrubbed from the front and side panes of glass once a week. Skimmer cup cleaned weekly. Thats about it really.

Oh and of course the live rock works wonders too :)

How often do you need to completly change water and clean the gravel?

Thats right morgs202, even when I've had to move this tank I've kept as much of the water as possible. Not cleaning the filters/powerheads also helps with a move and not disturbing the substrate either is a good idea.

IMO the less you touch it and stuff around in there the better for a marine tank

lawnmower blennies are great to the leave all these kiss marks in the algae you have missed. plus having a good amount of flow stops algae griping to rocks and growth is significantly reduced

Here's a nano tank I had at a early stage 1.5ft x1.5ft and not that good really! I need to dig out the pics of my 6ft tanks, they are on another computer... but u get the idea. If you do a search i'm sure I have posted pics of my other mini-reef systems on here before I think, or they may have been on the marine nerdy sites I used to hang out on before herps...lol
Without being egotistical, I was a pioneer in Australia with marine mini reef systems and imported ALL my stuff from Germany and the USA as we didn't have the gear in Australia then.i'm talking ONLY 20 years ago not that long really and i'm only in my late 30's.
I used to get my phytoplankton cultures from the scientists from the CSIRO in Tasmania who I built report with and they were amazed I wanted this stuff for my fish tanks. The'd send it up in sealed vials, pretty funnt stuff reflecting on it now! I used to cultivate this myself to feed my corals and friends and family couldn't believe what I was doing and thought I was cooking drugs as I had all different types of pink and green bottles of stuff bubbling away in cupboards in the laundry and garage! lol. I also supplemented their diet with zoo plankton also cultured and other vital vitamins and minerals that corals need to flourish in a closed ecosystem like marine tanks. I even had a Blue LED lighting system imported from the USA, that dimmed according to the moons brightness and mimicked the full lunar cycle of 28.8 days, which helped not only the corals but the fish spawn, which it does in nature. I had wave makers breaking on to corals that like water movement and the other corals that don't are placed deeper in the tank. I also had MV lighting that came on in stages like the sun rising 3 in a row over the length of the tank, then shut off in stages the opposite way, like the sun setting. After that, the moon lights came on...an amazing system and beautiful to see. I used to come home after work, sit on a chair in front of the tank and watch it and relax for hours..better than TV. BUT my friends, corals and live rock are being stripped from the barrier reef and fish and invertebra harvested mercilessly, PLUS you ALWAYS are buying supplements and filter wool lighting etc etc etc...not good for the environment and NOT good for your pocket..That's why I changed over to herps.. LOL pics to follow when I get the old computer out...but I was very passionate about marines, but stick to herps and don't feed the marine hobby as it is desecrating our natural resources.
Cheers guys this is true and from someone who has been and done that, even though a marine tank is so beautiful, it is also inadvertently causing harm to our barrier reef and the worlds largest living organism! SORRY for the long post!

Attachments

• stage 1.jpg
    stage 1.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 91
  • printable latest stage 5 20.9.03.jpg
    printable latest stage 5 20.9.03.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 98
Southside Morelia: Your 6ft sounded great, you should post some pics of it on here when you get the chance. How long since you left the marine hobby? A LOT has changed in the hobby over the last 10 years.
The mini reef's you helped pioneer not even 20 years ago are now antiquated systems and no good aquarium store would recommend them for anything but a fish only system. Your lighting system is now commercially availaible in several brands in Australia and does not even come close to what is on offer nowadays. The old blue LED's were proven to not be "seen" by corals (again what I often refer to as "Bro Science") but were sold for exorbitant amounts of money. A range of LED's released onto the Australian market last year (2 brands released similar products) can now give a complete spectrum that is scientifically proven to give results.
We are breeding what were only 10 years ago considered impossible species to keep.

Firstly, whilst there is still collection of livestock from the barrier reef, it is all strictly controlled by government. I wont go into details but its certainly not just go out and pillage the reef for all its worth. Only set species are collected from set areas, for a small period of time, after which the area must be left to replenish itself for quite some time before its allowed to be harvested again. (from memory I think its 5 years but I could be wrong)
Less than 90% of fish make it to breeding age on these reefs. Harvesting less than 1% for the aquarium trade will hardly impact the breeding population, especially where species must be "approved" before being allowed to be collected, and where most breeding size animals are either too big to be desirable for commercial sale, or protected by law.

Some imported fish can still be traced back to poorly collected specimens how ever they are quite rare as information (thanks to the internet and the world becoming a much smaller place) on these species/countries/collectors etc becomes widely available. In fact Cyanide caught fish being imported into Australia is practically unheard of these days. Many stores simply like to blame Cyanide when they can't figure out what went wrong with the fish and caused its death. ie.("I've been doing this for 20 years and if I can't figure out what killed the fish, the fish must have been buggered to begin with so it must have been caught with cyanide because that means I can answer your question without taking responsibility for the fish or telling you I dont know why it died")

The marine hobby is not perfect. There's cowboys everywhere. Herps are no different. We shouldnt discourage keeping reptiles because people smuggle diseased illegals into the country or some others poach from the wild to add to their stocks. Same as we shouldn't discourage the marine hobby for what it used to be thanks to some cowboys of the past.

Sorry to rant. Generalisations and "bro science" are particular pet peeve's of mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back