Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
stimsoni grow to a meter or just under, mine has a great temperament, however she is not a good feeder.

yer the size doesnt bother me i have decided, i have enough room for a reasonable size enclosure 1200x600x600 would this be large enough for a diamond?

in heinsight, but just keep in mind they are more aboreal (especially as young)

hmm still having trouble deciding, love the look of diamonds but they just get to big for my first snake also like the jungles but have read they can be a bit snappy.
Maybe a childrens python or spotted although i prefer a thinner snake than a robust thick snake....
Maybe im just being to picky, lucky i still have a couple of weeks to decide..

I think womas are a perfect pythons but please, listen to me, do NOT get a male woma unless you are going to pair him up with a female - and in that case make sure they will be the same size. Don't make the same mistake I made and get a fully mature male and a juvenile female. I cannot breed my male and he seems to just do everything right when it comes to mutilating his nose.

If you are going to get one woma, please make sure it is a female. This will save you so much of the grief that I have been going through (and obviously still am going through as he hasn't settle down and he is only going to get worse injuries). His nose now practically has NO chance of healing. He will definately sport a pretty scar when he finally (IF he -ever- does) stops.

A single male woma - it's NOT worth it. Mark my words, get a girl.

Ben

hmm still having trouble deciding, love the look of diamonds but they just get to big for my first snake also like the jungles but have read they can be a bit snappy.
Maybe a childrens python or spotted although i prefer a thinner snake than a robust thick snake....
Maybe im just being to picky, lucky i still have a couple of weeks to decide..

Have you even thought about a woma, greatest looking python and also best handling python even when young

all hatchlings can be ......guess i got lucky with mine hes slow and docile !!!!

yes

dont you mean <6ft. i havnt heard of an antaresia bigger than 2m

and yeh. i'd say a woma, or an antaresia if ur not completely comfortable with the frenzy at feeding time

I think that "yes" requires some clarification.. yes thay can be really aggressive, but so can ANY python and i dont know too many aggressive athertons. even as juvies they are pretty calm. hatchie anything can be a pain in the ***, so it is to be expected that they will be a bit nippy then. palmerstons tend to be the more nippy of the jungles.
they dont grow as big as some of the other morelia either if size is an issue. anteresias just dont meet that colourful criteria enough for me and i have had more bites from them than from jungles (highlighting it is individual snakes that matter more than species as anteresias are supposedly good handlers). otherwise i think the stimsons or spotteds are usually nicely patterned pythons and meet all but the "colourful" criteria.

Im leaning towards getting a 4 month old spotted python the weekend after next. Good idea??

Pando - Colourful/well patterned and less than 2 metres leaves you with a few nice options...

Womas - wonderfully patterned and coloured, great temperament (once they realise you're not food) and outrageously good feeders. Any locality apart from SA should remain under 2 metres. You are looking about $500 for a Woma.

Antaresia - All of them stay to about 1 metre. They are calm adults. The affordable options are Childreni, Spotteds and Stimmies. Of these, Stimmies and Spotteds are far better coloured/patterned in general. Antraresia are generally VERY affordable - you can expect to pay between $180 - $300 depending on species, locality and pattern/colour.

In relation to Jungles, yes they are VERY brightly coloured and patterned. Many are arguing over their temperament - yes, we all agree that all snakes have their own personality and temperament, but while I accept that there are calm Jungles in existence my personal opinion is that it is irresponsible to give any advice other than the fact that Jungles, in general, are VERY BITEY. Once again, SOME are calm...the vast majority are NOT. For this reason I would never recommend them to a first time snake keeper looking for a 'pet' animal..

My personal advice to you would be get a Woma or a Stimmie...

Thanks fo the link n the info, will let everyone know n put up some pics when i make my choice n purchase, thanks

Just an update on my male woma. It turns out that mark on the front of his snout was just a tiny bit of loose newspaper that got stuck to his snout.

All is fine now. He still has superficial marks on the areas right next to both his nostrils from trying to push his snout through the original 8mm ventilation holes, which I've since replaced with a new screen that has only 3mm holes instead, so that problem was solved :) I think a few sheds (maybe 3 or 4) will clear up the nostril area and have it looking like new again without any trouble.

He is definitely going to breed next year, guaranteed. The enclosures are kept side by side and he's been sniffing out the girl now since I got them over a month ago.

jungles vary in size and temperment from line to line/locale to locale

most dont really get past 6ft and some locales only get 4 n a half ft plus they fit the colourfull prerequisit, if you want to ensure you dont get a snappy snake buy an older animal to start with that way you know its feeding history and temperment yearling would be a good choice

Cheers everyone for emails and info sent i have decided on a diamond python, getting it soon as my reptile license arrives an getting it from a local breeder, ill post pics soon as i get it, thanks again

For any other 'first'-ers reading this I'm just going to make a comment on Antaresia: they are fabulous snakes, no doubt (i say this as an owner), but I want to point out that most people seem to get a hatchie/juvie. When they are this old they are TINY. When I hold my li'l one, I find I'm paranoid about him getting lost, or worse, broken because I'm not paying attention. Spotteds are tonnes of fun, but they are delicate babies!

my jungles not aggressive or snappy at all and im glad i didnt listen to all the bs and get something else. shes a perfect first snake.
in regard to diamonds im no expert but i think i remember reading sumthing about them being more susceptible to some disease or health issue or something. i believe they require uv lighting as well (although it could be argued that all snakes do). from what ive seen they get pretty big as well.
at the end of the day though i think the best bet is to just get what you really want to get. i'd hate to buy something based on what other ppl said knowing deep down i really wanted sumthing else. it would be like havin a ugly missus, youd always be thinkin of what you should have instead of her :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back