Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Devilbabi

Reaction score
25062010033.jpg25062010029.jpg25062010031.jpg

Hi All, My names Amanda.
I got a nice surprise last night, when i was ripping up my spinach for dinner. This little green lovely jumped out of there very slowly.
I bought that spinach last Wednesday!! He's been in my fridge for a little over a week!! OMG.

25062010036.jpgI have popped him into a small fish tank, and he's only tiny. A little over an inch. and he's a bit yellow looking. I've been to the pet shop today and bought some pin crickets, put a few in there, but he's not eating yet. He has water, a few of the spinach leaves in there and a few shells for him to hide under. I had to work today so I didn't get to do it up like i would like to, that's tomorrows job.
So I guess im after advice etc. On what i can do to make him comfortable and all after his ordeal of being in the cold fridge for a week. :)

Would it be a bad idea to keep him? I think he's a Green Tree Frog and i've read their awesome pets???Thanks all for your help it's greatly apprecited :)

Manda

OH yeah , and I wrapped one end of the tank with a blanket for warmth. At the moment, I have the lamp on the tank to help it warm up. Is that a good idea? Will he be ok in that tank?

its illegal to keep any wild frogs. Release it near an area with water or call wires?

Not sure but I was told by WIRES that they only come to pick up injured wildlife :/

its illegal to keep any wild frogs. Release it near an area with water or call wires?

Under no circumstances should you release it.Worst thing you could possibly do.

I thought so. He needs some care I would think.
He doesnt look so well, or maybe he's just tiny I dont know. I want to feed him and help him to recover from his ordeal!

I thought so. He needs some care I would think.
He doesnt look so well, or maybe he's just tiny I dont know. I want to feed him and help him to recover from his ordeal!

Releasing it has more to do with introducing disease into that area.While it may be well intentioned it is a very ignorant thing to do.Calling WIRES would be your best bet.

Call DECCW and ask them what to do then. Keeping the frog even to feed it up is illegal. Are you licensed??? Do you know how to care for a frog?

Check frogs.org.au Community :: Index you will find the same thing as i have said about it being illegal there as well

Ramsayi i actually thought that when i was eating dinner

I know F all about frogs, but IF that is a green tree frog, which it doesn't look like it to me, as we used to have heaps of them hopping around when I was younger...why is it yellow? Or is it my HD 1080p monitor that needs calibration...LOL I see you live in Sydney..which is even more awesome to see some of our froggies still here. An ecosystem is judged in its health by animals like frogs..and I have seen a massive decline in them in Sydney...this guy although yellow...LOL...means they are surviving in some areas, albeit the wrong colour.

That’s what we would call a banana box frog. DO NOT RELEASE IT, is some cases they can harbour a virus called Cytrid fungus and it spreads like wild fire and it is an invisible killer in ALL frogs.

Banana box frog is a term commonly given to frogs that have been displaced by the importation of fresh produce. They are risky due to the unknown origins and should be assessed by a qualified facility for disease before being released to a qualified keeper.

By the looks of it, it may be a Danty Green Tree Frog (Litoria gracilenta). they are known to be yellow in ther juvenile state.

Last edited:
That’s what we would call a banana box frog. DO NOT RELEASE IT, is some cases they can harbour a virus called Cytrid fungus and it spreads like wild fire and it is an invisible killer in ALL frogs.

Banana box frog is a term commonly given to frogs that have been displaced by the importation of fresh produce. They are risky due to the unknown origins and should be assessed by a qualified facility for disease before being released to a qualified keeper.

Well done TassieHerper! Listen to him, because as a laymen regarding frogs....it aint a green tree frog!
I recall eating one of them when I had a recent stir-fry with Bock choy imported from another state.. and it didn't taste like GTF legs I ate when a kid......Joking!

Last edited:
Devilbabi,
I work for wildlife rescue and care and heres the situation. You can't legally keep a native wild animal that you have just found. But you shouldn't release it either for the exact reason Ramsayi and Tassie gave you. The best course of action is to contact a local wildlife rescue group, explain the details and see what they say.
Until you hand it over, research and see if you can correctly identify it and come back here (or a frog site) for some care info, so its gets a good home in the meantime.

This is how a lot of people get into herps, By stumbling upon something that piques the interest and learning a bit about them.Then they find them so fascinating the bug is born.

Its not expensive to get your licence so you can keep frogs, and then buy a captive bred one. Captive bred will do better in captivity then wild caught, as wild caught always has the potential to stress.

I thought it looked like a little L.fallax... Devilbabi its wonderful what you are trying to do for this little frog. I would reccommend contacting SOFAR. They run a frog rescue service and will glad take the frog off your hands. Frog and Reptile Rescue Service

I see you live in Sydney..which is even more awesome to see some of our froggies still here. An ecosystem is judged in its health by animals like frogs..and I have seen a massive decline in them in Sydney
I'd have to actually disagree with that. I'm also in Sydney & in the past few years I've noticed a marked increase of frogs (in my area at least), particularly of peron's tree frogs & striped marsh frogs. There are a number of natural creeks in the area & in recent years the local councils have cleaned them up a lot, removed a lot of invasive plants & reiniforced & replanted the creek banks. Whether or not this is the reason (& hopefully not that they've been displaced from other areas), I'm not sure.

I'd have to actually disagree with that. I'm also in Sydney & in the past few years I've noticed a marked increase of frogs (in my area at least), particularly of peron's tree frogs & striped marsh frogs. There are a number of natural creeks in the area & in recent years the local councils have cleaned them up a lot, removed a lot of invasive plants & reiniforced & replanted the creek banks. Whether or not this is the reason (& hopefully not that they've been displaced from other areas), I'm not sure.
Many species are declining at the moment, as some species decline other species that are not so susceptible to whatever caused the others to die off start to thrive as they suddenly have reduced competition, it would seem that is what you are experiencing.

Cheers Gex

Oh and as said by Bearded_Lady, calling SOFAR's rescue service (0418666073) is the best thing to do, please do not release it.

Thanks Gex

Many species are declining at the moment, as some species decline other species that are not so susceptible to whatever caused the others to die off start to thrive as they suddenly have reduced competition, it would seem that is what you are experiencing.

Cheers Gex

What Gex said.....The native froggies where I grew up have gone and where I live now even over the last 5 years, we don't hear frogs anymore in the creek that runs beside our place. Just my experience...:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back