Keeping NT Woma M/F togeather?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

driftoz

Reaction score
hey im looking at getting a female woma soon to breed with my male in a few years, would it be ok keeping them in the same enclosure 24/7? it would be great if i could would save me having to spend hundreds on getting a new enclosure setup and the space but if not i was planning on seperate enclosures anyway.

Thanks peter

As womas are known to eat snakes in the wild, my advice would be: DON'T.

yeah i know about that just been to a local reptile shop and they have theres togeather and i asked about it and he said as long as its a male female it should be ok

Here's Doc Rock's advice: "As another word of warning, I strongly recommend that if you have more than one woma you house them singly. Their insatiable appetite together with their taste for reptile does not make them ideal to house with any other snake. Even if they don’t eat each other, the less dominant animal may be so stressed that it will stop eating and become unwell. The only time we put our womas together is in late autumn and winter after their feeding response turns off and their amorous desires turn on."

(You can find the whole article at http://www.southernxreptiles.com/Article%20PDFs/woma_lr.pdf)

Not to be rude but why get 2 if you only have 1 enclosure?

I'd rather wait until you can afford another enclosure rather then risking either womas getting injured or killed.

tubs and heatmats are cheap. if you cant afford a whole new enclosure at the moment just keep it n a tub. you can get a sistema tub that will fit a woma for 1.5 - 2 years for about 20 bucks. and easier to keep clean than enclosure IMO.

yeah i already have a clickclack and heat mat which i have kept both my woma and coastal in before ( not at the same time) got there enclosures so no prob keeping seperate i was just asking for peoples opinions and pretty much everyone has told me to keep seperate which is what i will do, paying for enclosures and stuff isnt a huge problem for me.

What species do people tend to keep together without problems?

at the reptile shop near me they have 4 diamonds in an enclosure, 2 olives in another, 2 enclosures with 2 BHP each, 2 MDs and some others

at the reptile shop near me they have 4 diamonds in an enclosure, 2 olives in another, 2 enclosures with 2 BHP each, 2 MDs and some others

If im thinking the same shop they also keep Womas together next to the counter?However for the price of a heat mat and tub i wouldnt risk it as Womas are snake eaters so you may come home one day to find one fat snake or even worse one fat dead snake.

yeah sounds about right and yeah i have a click clack ready to go and wouldnt take me long to get another enclosure any way was just wondering on what peoples ideas were but ill keep them seperate.

yeah sounds about right and yeah i have a click clack ready to go and wouldnt take me long to get another enclosure any way was just wondering on what peoples ideas were but ill keep them seperate.

Better to be safe than sorry i reckon,especially since you already have the spare mat and tub.

any one here actually keep womas togeather at all ? 24/7

I used to do it. Kept them together for about a year, then decided to seperate them after taking the advice from the ever helpful people from this forum. I never experienced any aggression what so ever. I've always fed them in a 'feeding box' since they were hatchlings and they've only exhibited feeding responses only when they are in the box. I only decided to seperate them after deciding that the risk of them killing each other is there, and I will never forgive myself when I wake up to a disaster! I still 'mix' them however, when i take both of the snakes out together, i'm always ready to seperate them though.

I guess, for most of us, its a better safe than sorry mentality.

any one here actually keep womas togeather at all ? 24/7

Yes I do. Pair of south aust.aged about three years old been living together very happily for about two years. Never been so much as a hint of trouble. They are also fed in the enclosure and although they love their food I have never witnessed any of the food aggression so many people attribute to Womas. They take the food offered, eat it then look for the next and have never looked at their mate as a meal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back