Micro managing!!!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No thermostats, a heat globe, a tall enclosure with plenty of climbing opportunities, a branch to stretch out on and get warm, and a box below on the floor to cool down in. As well as regular water and feeds, they need for no more. They don't get thermostats in the wild, nothing out there is an exact science, same as it shouldn't be in captivity, as with zoos etc, they are now endeavouring to give their animals as natural a space as possible for them, so why don't we?
Pythons and snakes otherwise, all know when they're too hot, so they move away from the heat source, and they also know when they need to warm up. they aren't stupid, they've been doing jus thtat and surviving for thousands of years without our help or science!!!!

I weigh my snakes in the morning, take them out of their cage and put them in a bath of F10. Clean their cage with bleach, put fresh water in. Rinse the snakes off and put them back in their cages. Then repeat again in the afternoon. If a snake has lost any weight, it is immediately fed. I never use newspaper as it looks ugly and there's bad chemicals in the ink. Butchers paper only. If a snake is hanging out at the cool end, I move them under the heat so they know where it is, vice versa if they are under the heat all the time. I have 8 temperature loggers in each cage to make sure there is a good temp gradient.
Ridiculous. I've never understood that sort of laissez faire, outright lazy approach to snake husbandry. You should be ashamed. Disgusting. I mean, would it kill you to have it in an enclosure next to your bed, rigged up to monitors in case it stops breathing? It'd take very little effort at all to set up half hourly checks to ensure any mess is immediately cleaned and that you're staying on top of the whole weight issue. Daily checks my sweet aunt fanny :shock: Negligence!

ummmmmmm.......... is this Magpie character actually FOR REAL???????????????? HONESTLY?????????? they're having a lend, SURELY!!!!!!

Ridiculous. I've never understood that sort of laissez faire, outright lazy approach to snake husbandry. You should be ashamed. Disgusting. I mean, would it kill you to have it in an enclosure next to your bed, rigged up to monitors in case it stops breathing? It'd take very little effort at all to set up half hourly checks to ensure any mess is immediately cleaned and that you're staying on top of the whole weight issue. Daily checks my sweet aunt fanny :shock: Negligence!

what do you expect, look at the signature, Physhopath, obviously not bothered by details....i assume its pronounced fishopath.....

sorry magpie, its been bothering me, and i couldn't figure a way to keep it on topic, all meant in good fun,

but experienced keepers and large commercial companies are not often one and the same thing, i understand retail outlets trying to make a dollar, but there are several experienced long term keepers on APS, that have no retail link, that seem to enjoy perpetuating the 'everything available is what you need' mentality, and thereby contributing the the whole micro managing scenario, which i think has been determined by the posts here to be unnecessary, and by the way Wokka, since when has providing the needs of a python with minimal expense been deemed as 'cutting corners' ???

Maybe it's easier to give newbies the answer they want to hear, which ultimately makes them feel better about the care they're providing for their animal. At the end of the day I don't think it really matters, if people are having success with the methods they use, whether it be the bare necessities, or over the top sanitation and hygiene, My opinion is if it works for you then do it if it doesn't change. You know what makes me laugh is the " Get it to the vet ASAP" brigade Oh my god your snake sneezed, you should have taken it to the vet an hour ago you should be ashamed of yourself, I imagine these same people staring me down in the supermarket after I give my kid a wallop on the backside for misbehaving,

When does one cease to be a newbie? who decides

Maybe it's easier to give newbies the answer they want to hear, which ultimately makes them feel better about the care they're providing for their animal. At the end of the day I don't think it really matters, if people are having success with the methods they use, whether it be the bare necessities, or over the top sanitation and hygiene, My opinion is if it works for you then do it if it doesn't change. You know what makes me laugh is the " Get it to the vet ASAP" brigade Oh my god your snake sneezed, you should have taken it to the vet an hour ago you should be ashamed of yourself, I imagine these same people staring me down in the supermarket after I give my kid a wallop on the backside for misbehaving,

When does one cease to be a newbie? who decides

i dont agreee with wrapping anything in cotton wool, nature never designed anything to live like that, not even humans, and as for when we cease to be newbies, i'd vote with the first time you get bitten and grab the camera instead of a bandage

wow, i have read some interesting comments.. i worry way too much about my snakes.. thanks for the insight..

i dont agreee with wrapping anything in cotton wool, nature never designed anything to live like that, not even humans, and as for when we cease to be newbies, i'd vote with the first time you get bitten and grab the camera instead of a bandage
WOOT im not a newbie :p

noobs do whatever they want anyway, the amount of times ive told people they don't need a thermostat and to keep it in a click clack on a mat until its bigger! they come back with a 4x2x2, thermostat, 3 lights, 8 branches bottle of F10 and a snake hook!! ha. you tell em one thing google says another and the pet shops say another again, they come back to pick the snake up, and try to school you on everything you're doing wrong!!!! hahahaha

From time to time I get a few calls asking me for advice to do with keeping pythons. Of which I am generally happy to pass on the small amount of knowledge I have on the subject. Though I seem to be noticing a trend with people wanting to be so damn precise in every little aspect of their husbandry. Whether it be to do with heating, lighting, shedding etc.

After a number of years, a few different species and some epic failures with to do with heat sources, I've found snakes generally look after themselves when you provide the basics.

I just curious how many people try to manage every tiny little aspect of their snakes day? And is it really worth the time spent doing so??

Getting back to your original question Kurto and with an understanding of the point your making, as a long time keeper my husbandry routine is based upon necessity. Everything they need is provided and maintained, and yes I check upon them daily to make sure water bowls are unsoiled and to clean any mess made. Apart from that they are left alone, as they prefer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back