Jungle help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sk17zn

Reaction score
Hey guys I need some help, I picked up a jungle python last night of a guy who was petrified of the poor snake hadn't fed it in a very long time and a very poor set up. The snake is about 50centimeters long though is extremly thin (got it to eat 2 pinkie mice last night when I got it home) the set up it was in was a big plastic container in the bathroom on a tiled floor with a heat mat unsure if the heat mat was used at any time as it wasn't turned on when I got there, there was no lid on it either so it was cold in there. I took it from him seeing he was to scared to even feed it had no water in the container either, now the problem not sure if it's just cause it was cold or something though when I fed it last night it was very slow to strike and not on target kept missing the mouse and was just generally slow at striking and just wondering if it could be a problem?
Thanks for any help

Yeah, if it was fairly cold the strike speed would be slower.
Keep it in a smallish tub with heat and water.

I would suggest that with a 50cm jungle feeding it only pinkie mice won't do it much good. At that size I would reckon that almost adult mice or fuzzy rats would be appropriate

Hey guys I need some help, I picked up a jungle python last night of a guy who was petrified of the poor snake hadn't fed it in a very long time and a very poor set up. The snake is about 50centimeters long though is extremly thin (got it to eat 2 pinkie mice last night when I got it home) the set up it was in was a big plastic container in the bathroom on a tiled floor with a heat mat unsure if the heat mat was used at any time as it wasn't turned on when I got there, there was no lid on it either so it was cold in there. I took it from him seeing he was to scared to even feed it had no water in the container either, now the problem not sure if it's just cause it was cold or something though when I fed it last night it was very slow to strike and not on target kept missing the mouse and was just generally slow at striking and just wondering if it could be a problem?
Thanks for any help

For now i would assume that it is due to the cold and his poor husbandry. Heat him up, give him water etc and leave him for a few days. If his behaviour is still worrying you I would take it to the vet. Make sure to keep him quarantined away from the rest of your collection and follow proper hygiene protocol to prevent any possible diseases from being transmitted to your animals.

Yea thanks guys got him on heat now only fed him the pinkies cause that's what the guy had until I go shoppin today, he is set up in a diff room from the rest of the reps and being very careful, thanks heaps for the help

poor thing, keep it on smaller food items and feed every 4 or 5 days, i took in a diamond that hadnt been fed or heated in 18 months and she struggled to get food down at the start, (she also struggled to lift her head though) then out the other end seemed a chore too,...hence the small/more regular feeding suggestion.

Yea that's y I drove an hour and a half to get it, felt sorry for it it deserves better just hope I can get it better and healthy again

Why do people keep pets if they're not prepared to look after them? I just don't get it. Good on you for taking him on. I'm sure he's thankful.

i dont get the being scared of it...you can feed on long handled tongs....sounds like a bit of a whimp if you ask me and should be reported for cruelty.......on bathroom tiles in this weather !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lucky snake to have a new home.

I would say it is neglect that is causing the poor response poor thing is probably feeling so weak...you did well to get it to feed.

I have just changed Elvira on to small weaner mice from fuzzies. I cannot get over the difference in her....the teeth fur and bones and more developed organs have made such a difference to her condition...and she was in good condition to begin with.

Poor thing...i guess if you think of yourself if you were run down...small meals and often and lots of warmth and rest.

Something that might be worth thinking about. I dont know if this is worth suggesting but it is something I do when Elvira is coming up to a shed to make sure her skin comes off properly...... but if you are worried about hydration and you dont think the snake is drinking a fine mist with some water might be worthwhile.

the dear little thing will think it has gone to snake heaven.

Regards

Elizabeth

Thanks guys it feed a adult mouse last night to now so it must be hungry, it's all set up now so just leaving it be in it's nice warm enclosure, it must be getting better even had a decent strike At me :), yea the guy who had it was a unit shouldn't have a pet at all he said it only strikes at him once and then that was it he left it alone... It still isn't striking the best though I don't mind because at least it ate something bigger and has heat now and talk about coiling the mouse was very messy so it has some strength. Thank you again every one all your help and kind words always make it more worth wild

Now another adult mouse eaten, plus one poo, plus one shed :) looking healthier already :)

Yep you got to it at the right time to save it. Snakes can bounce back pretty quickly when given a chance (and the right care). Good work

no need to be scared of a small snake they wont hurt you well done for rescuing it just keep it warm and acess to water and feed should come good

Well done and best of luck for the little fella. Any pics of the lucky one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back