my new ackie enclosure pictures (would love feedback)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

james.carroll

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hey guys and girls,

just finished putting together the enclosure for my ackies which will be coming in the next few weeks (pending my flipping import permit coming thru - 3 weeks and counting! grrrr)

anyway, check it out, would love to hear your thoughts.

Attachments

• Ackie Home.jpg
    Ackie Home.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 415
  • Ackie Home (1).jpg
    Ackie Home (1).jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 361
  • Ackie Home (4).jpg
    Ackie Home (4).jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 304
  • Ackie Home (2).jpg
    Ackie Home (2).jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 396
Looks great! Every ackie's dream. But that red sand will stain your monitors.. If it is red.

Excellent cage, one of the best I've seen for ackies. They love to dig, they will do it all day, it justifies a little reddish tinge as a result. Their outgoing nature and funny antics will entertain you for years.

James - A great looking enclosure, I love Monitors and think they (and their enclosures) make outstanding displays.

I love the look of your stack - I have found it VERY difficult to construct a stack that is functional and still looks good - ensure it is joined strongly (it definately looks to be) as Ackies are surprisingly strong and will crush themselves crashing around through a loose stack. Another point, make sure the gaps between the levels are close enough together for the Ackies to SQUEEZE into, if they are too far apart they lose a lot of functionality. Ackies feel secure in TIGHT spaces - make them tight, they look a little too far apart at the moment. As a guide, my previous adults (including a LARGE male) easily used a stack with spacings of less than an inch - another benefit is that those additional levels at a better heat gradient.

I would also suggest a bunch more logs/stacks. Don't overcrowd it as you will lose the fantastic look you have achieved, however, another stack at the opposite end and a log or two in the centre will get your Ackies moving around a lot more. They are MUCH more enjoyable to watch when they have alot to explore. I would probably even go as far as saying replace the waterfall with these items - Ackies like a hot and dry enclosure, I am concerned the waterfall is unnecessary and may even be detrimental by increasing humidity.

All in all mate, I love the look. I will put up some photos of my new V.scalaris enclosure shortly and post a link here.

very professional made. like the setup mate. looks better than all enclosures in pet shops.

James - I would probably even go as far as saying replace the waterfall with these items - Ackies like a hot and dry enclosure, I am concerned the waterfall is unnecessary and may even be detrimental by increasing humidity.

Great advice, but disagree with the waterfall comment. Its a large cage with a reflector globe and humidity won't be a problem. Actually the opposite is often the problem with monitors, their cages are too dry and shed skin ends up fused to the body. This creates other health issues.

Ozzie - This is debatable. Many keepers of small Monitors (myself included) will argue that the opposite is true - excessively increased humidity can lead to skin retention just as much as excessively dry enclosures as the skin generally cracks off - requiring it to be fairly dry...

But, that is a discussion for another thread ;)

Humidity may be an issue, but its a large cage and a small waterfall, and more often than not small monitors are kept too dry and exhibit fused, dry shed skin as a result. I only speak from experience, observation and fact as well, its a very common condition!

You've gotta be happy with that! Nice work James.

If the water in the waterfall is not heated, how is it any different to having a big water bowl in the cool end?

Nice enclosure by the way, my ackies loved to climb when I had them, so possibly include some branches if you can find some nice looking ones.

I only speak from experience, observation and fact as well, its a very common condition!

As do I, but as I say, best suited to another thread - I would not want to get this one too sidetracked ;)

If the water in the waterfall is not heated, how is it any different to having a big water bowl in the cool end?

It is no different, but I would not recommend that either ;)

Humidity may be an issue, but its a large cage and a small waterfall, and more often than not small monitors are kept too dry and exhibit fused, dry shed skin as a result. I only speak from experience, observation and fact as well, its a very common condition!
My ackies don't have ANY water in their enclosure apart from offered once a week for a few hours.. they have never had a shed problem?

hey guys, thanks for the feedback! i'll take into account the waterfall feedback (i'll chuck a hygrometer in there and monitor it)... its interesting that there are such varied view, i'll see how they go in there, i have a smaller one i could put in there which may be good cuz it would both provide more room for other things (rocks, wood etc.) as well as reducing the humidity effect.
PhilK - interesting that you only put water in occasionally, is this a common thing for people? do most people leave a water bowl in all the time?

as for the sand advice, again ill keep it monitored but a little red i'm not to fussed about

:) and yes, nsw permit... very slow...

alsan, as for the stack, every little piece is liquid nailed into place so its very solid but that means i can't really alter it, i'll c how they go, worst case i'll make another one with smaller levels, but again thanks for the advice, cheers guys :.

i attached a few photo's of my other enclosure (for swarley - my jungle) they're not the greatest photo's but you get the gist :) hope you like.

thanks again for the feedback, any more ideas, please keep them flying

p.s dont really care about people discussing ackie stuff in here, i'm always interested in different view points

Attachments

• Swarley (2).jpg
    Swarley (2).jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 106
  • Swarley (8).jpg
    Swarley (8).jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 83
  • Swarley (4).jpg
    Swarley (4).jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 79
Your enclosures are great mate.

I agree with Aslan - scrap the waterfall. Ackies are an arid monitor, how many waterfalls do you think they come across in their habitat? Plus it will just get full of sand as they climb into and all over it.

The reason why I don't offer water 24/7 is that they will go to the toilet in it all the time, as well as run in and out of it so if it is in there for more than a day it soon becomes half full of sand. Ackies don't need constant access to water, they can stand a bit of deprivation.

Your enclosures are great mate.

I agree with Aslan - scrap the waterfall. Ackies are an arid monitor, how many waterfalls do you think they come across in their habitat? Plus it will just get full of sand as they climb into and all over it.

The reason why I don't offer water 24/7 is that they will go to the toilet in it all the time, as well as run in and out of it so if it is in there for more than a day it soon becomes half full of sand. Ackies don't need constant access to water, they can stand a bit of deprivation.

I know what your saying. I really do. I also keep monitors, work with monitors at a reptile facility and have done my research. O.k, they don't have access to water constantly on rock outcrops around Alice or Mt Isa, but there is fluctuating levels of humidity during a given 24 hour period which changes with each season. They also often reside in recesses that retain humidity levels higher than the exposed atmosphere. The artificial environment of vivariums can be incredibly desiccating, and when an arid zone species is set up in a desert theme cage with little water provided shedding issues can occur. Not always, but often enough for me to have seen it and come to such conclusions.

James - I really like the look of your Jungle enclosure, there is a lot to be said for well designed display enclosures.

I had the same issues with building stacks. Keeping small monitors, get used to building new stacks ;D I couldnt tell you how many I have stored around the house these days, they outgrow them quickly, but as said, if the spacing is too wide to provide tight security for the animals then there isnt that much point in having them.

You will also find your animals will become more bold, and therefore somewhat more enjoyable, if they are provided ample hides and secure spaces. I would build a new stack and keep that one until they grow some. OR, you could insert more layers within the currently built one to reduce the gap...

Looks great, just ensure the stack (they look like tiles) dont have any razor sharp edges, you can sand or file them back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back