Bloody Dogs!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:shock::shock::shock:

You're talking about luring, trapping, and shooting someone's pet before even talking to the owners to find out the situation? ***?!?!? Honestly, does that not sound fairly harsh, if not totally callus and inhumane, to anybody else?

I'm sorry about your sheep, Phil, and I'm glad you've decided to talk to the RSPCA and try to find the owners and have a chat to them, but the majority of the posts agreed that you should just kill the dog anyway possible. How do you know that the owners are irresponsible? What if they have great fences, but the dogs got under or over them without the knowing? Or a visitor left the gate open? I've had my mastiff get out a number of times, but not because I let him out to "protect the property" or because I was irresponsible - mistakes happen. And, yes, if he'd caused any damage then it would have been my responsibility, but I would expect a phone call, not a dead dog!

If your snake escaped and killed the neighbour's chicken or guinea pig, would you be happy for them to shoot it? Or would you rather get your snake back and try to compensate them for the damage?

It's really unfortunate that this happened, but if it's not a feral animal, then taking matters into your own hands as has been suggested, especially after one offence, is going too far, IMO.

mate just get out there and shoot everything, the dogs, your sheep, the owners, everything, rspca officer when he comes to investigate, everything!

lmao

On another note, I do agree with Kitah here.

what alot of you suburban people dont realise is on most occasions, when the dogs have acted in a pack like manner and taken down wether it be 1 sheep or 100 ..it sets off an instinct in them and it is very hard to overcome this, so the dogs will try with all their might to fullfill this basic instinct and it more then likely will be at it again ..only this time it might attack a stud ram worth 10 000.00 destroying a farmers livelyhood ...like I said phil get the council dog trap ..once the dog is trapped they come and take the animal away and its up to the owners of that animal to pay to get their dog out and will have to abide by council rule as if it ever happens again being that dog/s then higher fees or destruction of animals pending on the damage done ..it does suck that in most cases animals get the short end of the stick but thats the way it is .

i wonder if you catch them and find out where the dogs are registered to would it be possible to hit the owners up for the cost of a sheep the same age as the one the dogs tore up

I used to go to a friends place at Ma Ma Creek - Near gatton. He had heaps of trouble with dogs killing his stock and a contract fencer up that way got bailed up by some cross bread dogs. I put an arrow through one at 55yrds....my friend was wrapped and bought me a bottle of rum.....I would shoot them if they are on your place killing stock.

:shock::shock::shock:

You're talking about luring, trapping, and shooting someone's pet before even talking to the owners to find out the situation? ***?!?!? Honestly, does that not sound fairly harsh, if not totally callus and inhumane, to anybody else?

I'm sorry about your sheep, Phil, and I'm glad you've decided to talk to the RSPCA and try to find the owners and have a chat to them, but the majority of the posts agreed that you should just kill the dog anyway possible. How do you know that the owners are irresponsible? What if they have great fences, but the dogs got under or over them without the knowing? Or a visitor left the gate open? I've had my mastiff get out a number of times, but not because I let him out to "protect the property" or because I was irresponsible - mistakes happen. And, yes, if he'd caused any damage then it would have been my responsibility, but I would expect a phone call, not a dead dog!

If your snake escaped and killed the neighbour's chicken or guinea pig, would you be happy for them to shoot it? Or would you rather get your snake back and try to compensate them for the damage?

It's really unfortunate that this happened, but if it's not a feral animal, then taking matters into your own hands as has been suggested, especially after one offence, is going too far, IMO.

If my snake escaped and put someone elses pets life at risk after they had taken the necessary steps to contain their pet, of course they should kill the snake. If someone broke into your house and threatened you, would you not feel right to protect yourself? If someones animal comes into your yard and threatens your animals (not to mention the possiblilty of kids or even adults in this case), you should protect you and yours.
The simple fact that the dogs were there tells me that the owners are not being responsible. It is 100% their job to contain these dogs, no ifs no buts. If I own a gun, it's 100% my job to make sure it is not used criminally, would you not agree?
I know we are taught that no one is responsible for their own actions but in reailty, we are.

If my snake escaped and put someone elses pets life at risk after they had taken the necessary steps to contain their pet, of course they should kill the snake. If someone broke into your house and threatened you, would you not feel right to protect yourself? If someones animal comes into your yard and threatens your animals (not to mention the possiblilty of kids or even adults in this case), you should protect you and yours.
The simple fact that the dogs were there tells me that the owners are not being responsible. It is 100% their job to contain these dogs, no ifs no buts. If I own a gun, it's 100% my job to make sure it is not used criminally, would you not agree?
I know we are taught that no one is responsible for their own actions but in reailty, we are.

well said

you miss my point. but thanks for jumping in with the ridiculous comments guys.

Wow this thread got moving.. funny how if it were a CAT I was talking about nobody would be defending anything haha aahh hypocrisy how great.
An animal is an animal...I have a bull arab a real family dog... if he managed to somehow get out and was shot, I would feel like i lost my best friend. I think the willingness to take life is wrong, especially when you have other options.

People are smarter than animals. We know what is right and what is wrong.
If I had a dog that got out and attacked someone's stock I would expect it to be shot.. I shouldn't be letting my stock killing dog off my property.

People are smarter than animals.. and we do know right from wrong, but I don't think I can go and shoot the dogs owners for letting it roam now can I?

You're sheep was being kept for a meal, if these dogs are someones and they got out and it was an honest mistake and you took both the lifes of the dogs over you're meal... how would you feel about shooting their pets?
I would feel fine about shooting anybody's pets that got onto my property and attacked my animals - thought that was clear from my very first post? If you go to a restaurant and order a steak and then some dude comes and takes it off your table will you put up a fuss or will you say "oh well it was just being kept for my meal, no big problem." I think I can answer that one for you;)

I never said that :) I know the problem needs to be dealt with, but from the way the original post was worded, and based on the replies, it seemed as though you were all blaming the dogs (which, they did attack the sheep, but they don't know any better, its just their natural prey drive), when in reality it was the owners fault for letting the dogs wander.
So you'd rather I shot the owners? Their dogs are attacking stock so they should be dealt with, whether it is trapping or shooting.

You're talking about luring, trapping, and shooting someone's pet before even talking to the owners to find out the situation? ***?!?!?
I am saying if I saw them on my property again I would kill them if I could, to stop my chooks being killed or being attacked myself. As for luring and trapping them - yes I will be considering that option strongly. Dogs are NOT supposed to be wondering other peoples properties, so if they were doing the right thing the trap wouldn't catch them.. if not then the trap will catch them and I can call the council to come and get these mongrels.

How do you know that the owners are irresponsible? What if they have great fences, but the dogs got under or over them without the knowing? Or a visitor left the gate open? I've had my mastiff get out a number of times, but not because I let him out to "protect the property" or because I was irresponsible - mistakes happen. And, yes, if he'd caused any damage then it would have been my responsibility, but I would expect a phone call, not a dead dog!
What rubbish.. if your dogs can jump over or get under your fence that is YOUR fault. If you don't tell your visitor to close your gate or close it after them yourself that is YOUR fault. You'd better believe that if your dog got out and attacked a 5 year old you would most certainly end up with a dead dog (which is a good outcome here). How is this different?

Actually it's not - it's fine to kill someone elses animal if it is causing damage and dogs that kill like this will almost ALWAYS kill again and one offence is all that is needed to earn a bullet.

...like I said phil get the council dog trap ..once the dog is trapped they come and take the animal away and its up to the owners of that animal to pay to get their dog out ....
I will be doing this redbelly, cheers. Hopefully I can catch the mongrels the owners can get a fine and I can get some money for my sheep.

Hmm, just reading this and thinking because these dogs have done what they've done..Won't they be put down? Just curious I thought thats what happens to highly aggressive dogs or is this just for dogs who maul kids?

FYI............... I had a look at the NT legislation re Dangerous Dogs.......It appears the police have quite a bit of power in relation to this.....Perhaps you could also look up the legislation in your state and see where you stand.
NORTHERN TERRITORY OF AUSTRALIA

SUMMARY OFFENCES ACT
75A Dangerous dogs As in force at 24 June 2009
2) The owner of a dog that:
(a) attacks a person or animal; or
(b) menaces a person or animal,
is guilty of an offence.
Penalty: $5,000.
6) Where a member of the Police Force believes, on reasonable grounds, that a dog has or may cause serious injury to a person or animal, the member may seize, impound or destroy the dog and for that purpose may enter onto any land (including land that is not open to or used by the public) with or without the consent of the occupier or owner, or a warrant.

If you where sitting in a paddock at night making sheep calls to lure in predators, dogs might be the last of your problems. Kiwis are immigrating to Australia in record numbers these days....
But seriously when domestic dogs in rural areas start killing stock, they don't usually last long, and a bullet would be a better way to go than 1080.

If you where sitting in a paddock at night making sheep calls to lure in predators, dogs might be the last of your problems. Kiwis are immigrating to Australia in record numbers these days....
But seriously when domestic dogs in rural areas start killing stock, they don't usually last long, and a bullet would be a better way to go than 1080.
true that ...but most burb people wouldnt have a clue what 1080 is or what it does ...if I had a choice I would rather a bullet !

I was on a freinds farm in Dalby QLD when a neighbour of his used 1080 on a mice plague......There were sick and dying hawks crows foxes etc everywhere not to mention I stopped seeing monitors after that all together. Very cruel way to die and not only kills the target.

What if the dogs are owned by someone - still fair game if they're in our paddock?

Sorry, Phil. I took this to mean that you were interested in listening to other people's opinions, as opposed to merely justifying your own. My mistake.

I don't think Phil would be considering using 1080 for this issue. I'm sure he would understand the implications coming from a vet background.

Kristy I wasn't interested in your opinion about whether I should kill someone's pet, by "still fair game?" I meant "legal" not "ethically fair in your opinion" - sorry for the confusion I should've written legal.

Nope 1080 is nasty stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back