Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
my head hurts too..... what i'm saying is.... pff i don't know. the markets flooded and we can't sell our stuff. and everyone you offer either doesnt have the room or has found it cheaper elsewhere. the market demand defines what is a dud, not me or anyone else, i love em all.

my head hurts too..... what i'm saying is.... pff i don't know. the markets flooded and we can't sell our stuff. and everyone you offer either doesnt have the room or has found it cheaper elsewhere. the market demand defines what is a dud, not me or anyone else, i love em all.

id agree with that, you cant move the young = headache

Ur not trying to say anything ur just having a waaaaah cause you don't have the quality of animals at the right price and ur not making the millions that you planned you would. Would you beleive that we are now coming into line with every other animal keeper hobby where we are lucky to break even on our costs if we choose to breed? Well beleive it because we are.

As the prices drop the people who breed just to make money will stop , or move on to labradoodles or parrot x monkey [ l want one of those ] [ no 2 so l can breed them ] or something . The price for Quality animals should find a nice level while cheap reptiles will go to people who just want one .

Believe it or not there is more to the reptile community/selling side of things than APS ;)

well i can tell you there is no way i will be selling my albinos for less then $2000.00 ,and as for high yellow or lavenda you need to hold them back to see the result and for the buyer this is half the fun of buying one (lucky dip effect) just like watching your green tree change from yellow or red to green or blue, these snakes deserve there price and all breeders should hold the price higher to show this respect (otherwise where will the hobby be if like my self over 30yrs ago at age 10 there are no dreams to aim for like that $6000.00 green tree python ?

not talking about good quality or even myself, and i dont plan to make millions, i'm a reptile keeper not a moneymaker. we are talking about the market in general not on a personal level, and my posts are just my ideas and observations....

Spotlight is right with the high end animals I won't be selling cheap albinos either, I am not a money maker just a collector, saving to buy a beautiful animal is part of the hobby. Who really wants animals from a place mass producing them and selling them cheap with all sorts of feeding problems and health issues, instead of from a breeder who personally cares for each animals needs on a daily basis. Just my opinion. Look at Thailand and the animals arriving in the US from there, is that really what Aussie herpers are chasing. The way prices are going and the lack of support shown for the good breeders, that is where we are headed big growers producing masses of sub standard stock.

cheers
Scott

I thought I saw some albino's for 3000 (singles) - does that mean they have dropped again?

There have been a few out there for under $2000, but have been snapped up real quick, most, not all though have been at places no self respecting herper would by an animal from. (remember I said not all)

cheers
Scott

the problem is we are heading for a woolworths style market, where everything is right at your fingertips for next to nothing, you can talk about quality animals at high prices all you want but at the end of the day majority of people just want a bargain as long as the animal 'seems' ok. if you can get a pair or trio for the price of one, i wonder which deal the majority would want, and im not talking just about APS because as mattsnake said the market does go beyond....

I agree Ausherp and I think that is why the hobby is on the road it is, people don't care if it's made in Thailand, and doesn't work, as long as it cost 20 cents. The unfortunate thing is reptiles are animals not a dodgy plastic toy.

cheers
Scott

thats the issue, but problems down the track are just that, down the track and majority are willing to take the risk

that's right Ausherp, hopefully those of us that choose to maintain a standard, can manage to remain obvious, so when the mud pool settles and people get sick of purchasing animals that won't eat or up and die on them, the better option will be easy to see.

cheers
Scott

There are plenty of people with breeding age albinos now, and there would be at least that number again with hets. So every year more albinos and hets are produced than the year before (infact the number produced every year would have to at least double each year by this stage). So unless a large proportion of people who own breeding age animals are not planning on breeding them, than soon there will be more produced than will sell (evan at $1000 each) These are Darwin pythons after all, they are hardy, easy to breed and produce large clutches.

So, does the price charged equate to the animal quality and breeders reputation?
Ive seen albino's sold as cheap as $500 this season, next season they will commonly be available for this price.
The dam walls are crumbling around the albino breeders claiming "I wont sell mine cheap because I am a quality breeder", eventually you will have to, which will create another flood - its spiralling quickly.
They are no longer an investment animal - they are now at pet level.
Cheers
Adam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back