Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you want to make pre-2007 albino Darwin money these days, you might want to sell up and buy some Jags, or Wait until Zebra/Granite Morelia morphs or Albino Blackheads magically appear in Australian classifieds. Anyway the most dramatic drop in recent years would have to have been Rough scaled pythons. What where RSP's selling for a couple of years ago $15000 each? and now you can pick up a pair for $1500. Albino macs will go through the same price drop (and 15 years down the track there will be threads about how the bottom is falling out of that market), however seeing as Antaresia clutches are not as large as Morelia, they might hold their value for longer.

URS are now selling RSP for $500 individually.

There are some people out there that their pythons become family, like a cat or a dog are the most obvious most common ones. I know someone who owns a big fish and he wouldn't sell it even though it's worth 1500 etc because it is part of the family and he said he would rather give it to his friend who is also as passionate about fish as he is than sell it and gain 1500 like that.

If I was a passionate breeder like some out there, I wouldn't want to sell off my albinos for something they aren't worth. that said like someone else posted in this thread earlier. he said he would rather give them to family or friends who appreciate them rather than flick them off for a quick buck to a person that is going to breed to make profit and not really give a damn about their albino's - I respect that. that said, some breeders will tell if the buyer is passionate about pythons and could give them an albino a bit cheaper, but that is for the right reasons.

reality is though - in time, everything comes down in price and then goes back up in price, but if things are MASS produced they won't come back up in price...

I think albinos are beautiful very striking!, I know they are worth a lot. in the end the quality breeders will get what they are worth over the quantity breeders. hang in there.

That brings us to the old question - what is "quality snake" how is it recognised and who is able to recognise it.
I agree with one thing - it's hard to recognise individual quality amongst mass produced clutches and most buyers probably wouldn't be looking for it. How do you find good quality pair of rubber thongs when they are all made in China?

we weren't saying that just because it is cheaper it is of less quality, what we were saying is that now they are cheaper, a few clowns will get theyre hands on them, breed them, sell them cheaper again,once every tom dick and harry has them and they are being produced like crazy, and people are crossing them with this that and the other.... THEN cheaper is of poorer quality, if you pay $2000 for a snake you are going to respect it and its status, which will prevent you from doing the above,
high price= high status and respect=good quality animals, thats the point i was trying to put across. IMO

So no one was crossing albinos with other carpets when they were more expensive?

What exactly is going to make them poorer quality? Is it just flat out quantity? Or do you somehow know that they are going to all have neurological and physical deformities once production hits 'x' ammount? Maybe because it is tom and dick that are breeding them? And will selling them expensively be a rememedy to the afore mentioned problems?

Silly questions aren't they? No one has a crystal ball good enough to predict what you just have.

we weren't saying that just because it is cheaper it is of less quality, what we were saying is that now they are cheaper, a few clowns will get theyre hands on them, breed them, sell them cheaper again,once every tom dick and harry has them and they are being produced like crazy, and people are crossing them with this that and the other.... THEN cheaper is of poorer quality, if you pay $2000 for a snake you are going to respect it and its status, which will prevent you from doing the above,
high price= high status and respect=good quality animals, thats the point i was trying to put across. IMO

ha. maybe we just don't wanna see them as common as everything else. it's nice to have status. from a buyers perspective i am a little excited about the price drop as i can now afford a pair, but is it a good thing for every man and his dog to have one?
you must have a rainbows and butterflies crystal ball that just predicts fairies and picnics...... sorry for the play on your words but silly questions get silly answers.

Whats the big deal about the price of these things and weather or not everyone should own one?

In the end they are just a Darwin painted white.... Its not like by owning one of them you are helping to secure some rare endangered animals future... You are not any better than other keepers nor does it give you a 'higher status' than those who dont own them.

They are a hardy breed that reproduces fairly predictably, so its inevitable that the price diminishes over time as they become well established in the hobby. Deal with it.

A different example......Think of the good old English Bull Terrier many years back (when world Safari and Alby Mangles were around)- They used to cost a fortune....everyone wanted one.....some people got hold of them (or borrowed a male etc) and bred them and sold them cheap to everyone (the price dropped) then they began to be crossed with every sort of dog to create the perfect pig hunting dog.....to the point where what the common perception of a Bully was quite different from the original. Countless dogs were created..Some ugly monstrosities and some striking animals.

But today to by a good quality pure bread English Bull Terrier will still cost you a decent amount of money and you may find that you have to wait in a queue and order a pup before they are born.

My point is well bread ones are still very much in demand.

I know dogs are different from reptiles but it was just an example I thought I would throw out there.

Your comment really resonated with me. Why is it that when you start breeding snakes it is often seen as 'trying to make a quick buck' or 'jumping on the bandwagon'. My ethos is that I want to make my hobby pay for itself, and to reinvest in other projects. None of us are going to retire because of this hobby, and it's more about being diligent and always doing the best thing by the animals.
cheers

im not into the money for profit,like most larger breeders we use the money to build bigger and better cageing for our animals,expand our animals and buying expensive frozen rats and mice to keep them going (as my wife always told me if they pay for them selves i dont care what you do!! lol )

Whats the big deal about the price of these things and weather or not everyone should own one?

In the end they are just a Darwin painted white.... Its not like by owning one of them you are helping to secure some rare endangered animals future... You are not any better than other keepers nor does it give you a 'higher status' than those who dont own them.

They are a hardy breed that reproduces fairly predictably, so its inevitable that the price diminishes over time as they become well established in the hobby. Deal with it.
well said , i think its just the breeders that are asking 2k for them that are pissed off causew now they wont beable to sell as many for 2k . i know if i had a chance to buy either one for 2k or 2 for 1k each , i know what way id be going [ 1k option every time]

BAM! And the truth comes out.

ha. maybe we just don't wanna see them as common as everything else. it's nice to have status. from a buyers perspective i am a little excited about the price drop as i can now afford a pair, but is it a good thing for every man and his dog to have one?
you must have a rainbows and butterflies crystal ball that just predicts fairies and picnics...... sorry for the play on your words but silly questions get silly answers.

That brings us to the old question - what is "quality snake" how is it recognised and who is able to recognise it.
I agree with one thing - it's hard to recognise individual quality amongst mass produced clutches and most buyers probably wouldn't be looking for it. How do you find good quality pair of rubber thongs when they are all made in China?

good question, nice analogy :p i love my made in china thongs and am rarely seen without them in summer time. what is quality to one person is not nessicarily quality to another and you cant trust other peoples judgements as to what a quality animal is. it has been mentioned so many times in this thread "if your not willing to pay top dollar then you obvously dont love them", well not everyone loves their animals, belongings or significant others because they have had to spend serious money on them. if you love your animals more because you have had to pay more money for them, then you love money, not your animals.

So no one was crossing albinos with other carpets when they were more expensive?

What exactly is going to make them poorer quality? Is it just flat out quantity? Or do you somehow know that they are going to all have neurological and physical deformities once production hits 'x' ammount? Maybe because it is tom and dick that are breeding them? And will selling them expensively be a rememedy to the afore mentioned problems?

Silly questions aren't they? No one has a crystal ball good enough to predict what you just have.

i agree completely with this quote, i dont understand why someone who is not a well known breeder would produce lower quality offspring than someone like simon stone for example if they are working from the same bloodines. experience maybe? that will affect clutch sizes perhaps, and maybe affect the time taken to get hatchies to feed/shed properly. which is a problem that will occur if you are breeding albinos or MD's and have experience anyway. I just dont see the basis for having an animal as a status symbol?

Your comment really resonated with me. Why is it that when you start breeding snakes it is often seen as 'trying to make a quick buck' or 'jumping on the bandwagon'. My ethos is that I want to make my hobby pay for itself, and to reinvest in other projects.
cheers

Your words resonate with me. I am seriously considering to embark on a very ambitious and expensive project. I have done my figures and I KNOW the profits from the end product will not meet the expenses. However, if I could subsidize the project from snake sales, I would go ahead. If successful, I would enjoy every minute of it and you - the herp community would also benefit.
Would I be seen as a money grabber?

After reading this thread last night i put a pr of Albino juvies on another site for $1000 each, as of this moment not one response, ?

Not at all. But if you embark on this venture and when the time comes to sell ur off spring and ur not going to make as much money as you thought you would and then you make a thread whinging about it. Then yeah you would seem like a money grabber.

There is nothing wrong with making some return on your hobby and i don't actually see anything wrong with being a money grabber and wanting to make millions. Just don't blow smoke up our noses by saying ridiculous things like that ur doing for the children lol (I know that wasn't you waterrat lol) or claim that you somehow have a god given right to this fortune.

Your words resonate with me. I am seriously considering to embark on a very ambitious and expensive project. I have done my figures and I KNOW the profits from the end product will not meet the expenses. However, if I could subsidize the project from snake sales, I would go ahead. If successful, I would enjoy every minute of it and you - the herp community would also benefit.
Would I be seen as a money grabber?

Gordo, my proposed project is not about breeding / selling reptiles. I am looking into visiting all (well, not really all but as many as possible and all the well known) GTP habitats in PNG, West Papua and the islands with my camera and producing a book about the species' ecology, predators and prey, cultural significance and of course lots and lots of smashing images. Estimated cost - 25K

I have an Idea

Maybe we should do what they do with horses, dogs, guinea pigs, budgies, etc and show them
A judge would say to the owner of the winning snake (that showed good muscle tone and colour and had the correct dimensional head and tail and tongue fork) “that is a nice award winning snake” and after a while when it had been dragged around from show to show it would get enough points and could be called an Australian Champion Snake.
People would then buy the offspring for much more money and could proudly declare “this is from an Australian Champion”....Of course there would have to be pedigrees and all people would have to be a member of the Snake Showers association of Australia and pay an annual fee for registration of any offspring. (proceeds would go to the Christmas party for the SSAA)
Then the people who were prepared to endure all the Animal Show Culture could then have their animals segregated from the everyday breeder and be known far and wide as Quality Breeders of purebred Snakes.
Or
I suppose we could just keep on with the hobby as it is and enjoy it for the joy these animals bring......there is a saying “we can’t control how the wind blows but we can adjust our sails.”
I hope to one day have a pair of Albinos.....When I am ready I will pay the going price...Personally I will put the reputation of the breeder and the animals he produces ahead of price....even if I do have to save..but that’s just me.....another of the many who would love opportunity to have an Albino.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back