Snake ID

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't you or one of your mates post photos of that same snake 18 or so months ago claiming it was wild?

Yep old photo but is most certainly wild. Seeing there has been so much talk about jags/hybrids etc lately I though I'd bring it back...but thanks for ruining it for me.

Last edited:
looks like a striped coastal... there is a thread on here selling very similar looking snakes...

i would guess coastal also, purely guess. gorgeous snake though! good find, where did you find it? that would be a good indication of what it is also... only just read it was you mattsnake. surely you would be able to get a good idea based on this pic and location also?
i notice that the head pattern is similar to a couple of northern coastal carpets that i have seen. almost starting to become that jolly roger that is seen in jungles... so im guessing somewhere near rockhampton or mackay? again, purely guess

i would guess coastal also, purely guess. gorgeous snake though! good find, where did you find it? that would be a good indication of what it is also... only just read it was you mattsnake. surely you would be able to get a good idea based on this pic and location also?
i notice that the head pattern is similar to a couple of northern coastal carpets that i have seen. almost starting to become that jolly roger that is seen in jungles... so im guessing somewhere near rockhampton or mackay? again, purely guess

I know what it is syeph, was just seeing what others thought it was...obviously failure of a thread lol.

what is it? It's the sort of snake people find hard to leave in the wild.
But there goes mother nature again, producing carpets better looking than most in captivity.
Unless of course it was someones pet that's done the runner (so to speak)

carpets like these are pretty common around brisbane etc...... one in every 20 is usually really nice and has a big fat stripe or something similar..... so much for not being able to have pure line RPM's ets with the right breeding program with a pure snake like that it wouldnt be too hard i shouldnt think

Yes stripped carpets are very common all over their range, but carpets like this are not so common at all.

what a gorgeous example!!! i've not seen one so clean and perfect in the wild. great work!

Cheers Rob. Yes this is infact a wild coastal carpet python found in SE Qld and it remains a wild coastal carpet python in SE Qld. I have found many wild carpets with perfect stripes, tri-stripes, hypos, etc etc but never anything as spectacular as this before...just shows what mother nature is capable of. I just wanted to show what spectacular animals are out there to be seen.

Oh and thanks to those few that send me 'friendly' PM's.....

I agree with you, Matt. There have been a few pics lately of wild snakes with great "trendy" looks. Super-stripes, that big patternless antaresia someone posted a while ago, and this guy. I love that while many of us spend our time and specious dosh trying to create these kinds of very specific-looking animals by playing with genetics and breeding lines, Mother Nature has a way of doing it all on Her own :lol:

Thanks for posting this photo. I never seem to be particularly taken with coastals in general, but this guy made me smile, that much more so because he's wild. (And I didn't see the image 18-months ago!)

Could it be an escapee?
In 1986 local Ranger pealed off a run-over green python on Cook Hwy at Smithfield (Cairns suburb). I have seen it with my own eyes and while the Ranger thought they may occur in the Wet Tropics, I thought otherwise. Weird things do happen.

have seen diamonds down here with stripes, nothing anywhere near as good as that one! People that don't believe that wild animals can be striped need to get off there computers and go herping!

Could it be an escapee?
In 1986 local Ranger pealed off a run-over green python on Cook Hwy at Smithfield (Cairns suburb). I have seen it with my own eyes and while the Ranger thought they may occur in the Wet Tropics, I thought otherwise. Weird things do happen.

I like to think that it was wild. It was a very long way from any form of civilization and was just a juvie, maybe a yearling. It's amazing to think what is actually out there but hasn't been seen.

People that don't believe that wild animals can be striped need to get off there computers and go herping!

Exactly!

Heres another random shot of it... (these photos actually belong to DanTheMan).

It was definitely a wild snake and not an escapee Matt. As you have said the location that it was seen is evidence of that.
Just goes to show you what is out there in the great out doors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back