disappointed with shop conditions...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
its not just pet shops that house there herps like that , ive seen some pretty bad set ups at well know breeders that would make you never buy from them again

leaving a old shed inside a snakes cage is a bad thing! its like putting a dress that a girl has gotten to fat to wear out in plain veiw! it really depesses your snake (so please remove it!!)
Whats wrong with leaving a shed in the tank for a few days?

Why not try writing to the shop to let them know of the conditions that you found, and how you walked out without buying anything. Ask them if it is their normal practice to neglect enclosures and their animals in such a way, or was it a one off. Send a copy to your local rspca or whoever, and let the shop owner know you've sent the copy, and to who, you may get a favourable response!!

Everytime i have gone into that place it has been fine,clean and tidy. I was told that there is a new manager there but not 100% sure, next time I have a day off work I will go check it out.

I have dealt with these people alot and they do know what they are talking about and do not talk bulldust to you.

I myself works at a store that sells snakes and I will admit that there is only 2 people who work at my work who hold/clean the enclosures out (myself and the boss) all the other staff members are not keen on going into the enclosures but i am working on that.

It might be the same case at this store aswell they might only have 1 or 2 people who do the feeding and cleaning of the reptiles and they might not work everyday of the week.
I do know that a guy who worked there who use to always feed and clean the enclosures has left but they shouldn't have a problem keeping on top of the enclosures if they still have the other guy working there.

so what your saying is because it had babies it MUST of been wild caught ? how did u come to that conclusion?
Hi ZOOJAS. I drew that conclusion because Black Rock Scorpions are territorial and don't get kept communally. The only way for a captive bred female to get pregnant is for a male to be introduced to a female (with the keeper ready to snatch him away when things get ugly). Why would a breeder go to the trouble of introducing the male, possibly risking its life, just to sell her to a pet shop? Which sounds more likely, One of the few people in Australia who cares enough about invertibrate conservation to go to the hassle of breeding them, selling off a pregnant female? Or a guy at a pet shop wanting to make a sale from a rube who seems interested? That is my reasoning.

I went into this store today to see if what has been said was really that bad and i am happy to say it is not as bad as it sounded.
Yes there was faeces in some of the enclosures and yes there was some water bowls with no water in them but thats not a big deal because snakes do not need to drink everyday.

All I would like to say is I am still happy dealing with this shop and do not think they dont look after their animals because the manager does know what he is talking about and does have a good amount of knowledge regarding Keeping Reptiles.

Cheers.

Hi ZOOJAS. I drew that conclusion because Black Rock Scorpions are territorial and don't get kept communally. The only way for a captive bred female to get pregnant is for a male to be introduced to a female (with the keeper ready to snatch him away when things get ugly). Why would a breeder go to the trouble of introducing the male, possibly risking its life, just to sell her to a pet shop? Which sounds more likely, One of the few people in Australia who cares enough about invertibrate conservation to go to the hassle of breeding them, selling off a pregnant female? Or a guy at a pet shop wanting to make a sale from a rube who seems interested? That is my reasoning.

Yeah mate an adult manicatus would have been almost certainly wild caught. A little disappointed to hear you released the babies though. They are an extremely variable species found over a very large range so unless you know exactly where they where caught you were probably doing more damage then good (stuffing up the local gene pool).

name names i live here in perth and i wanna make sure i dont go there, and if a shop has that bad conditions people should know.
dont protect them i say!!

Rule 14 - There is to be no negative feedback of sponsors, businesses that are not associated with APS (like pet shops), members of the site or other similar discussion forum on the web. Likewise, promoting similar discussion forums is also not permitted without prior approval from Administrator.

read the site rule above.. no naming of pet shops or giving address etc

I went to look in a petshop recently and the dogs and cats were in great condition...however, the blue tongue in the corner was in a 4ft enclosure with reptile carpet and nothing else but a water bowl. Skink poo all over the place and obviously undernourished/skin condition. I wanted to say something but didn't...don't know why.

...im 300 ks away from there now but may get a friend to go in and see if its still in that condition..?

The problem is no one who's really into reptiles buys from a shop...and for good reason in many cases, so they don't get sold and no-one looks after them. VERY sad.

lol , why couldnt the pet shop not knowing all of the above just put 2 scorps together [ not knowing] just to save space or what ever, they mate - one kills the other . dead one gets taken out ..... thats another spin on it .. lol

Niall interesting that you say the enclosures were not as bad as previously indicated by people on the forum. But and I Quota Yes there was faeces in some of the enclosures and yes there was some water bowls with no water in them
If I am not wrong you went to the shop in question on Wednesday and I was there on Sunday and the faeces has still not been cleaned up or the water bowls filled. You are write they are not as bad as first stated, thats worse 4 days and still they have not cleaned the cages. It would not take 10mins to clean and fill all the water bowls, and just saying that they don't need to drink every day is no excuse for lack of care. Did I miss understand you. You work in a pet shop and think this is ok. I feel it shows the lack of care.

Winny,

Yes i did go to the shop on Wednesday and yes it was surprising by this shop to still have faeces in the enclosures after 3 days,
that said all the reptiles looked in good condition.
At the place I work we clean up all the faeces when we see them and clean/top up all water bowls weekly.
Who knows maybe this shop only cleans the enclosures once a week, for only dealing with Fish and Reptiles I dont see how they can not keep on top of the cleaning.

Good to hear yhat the shop you work in is more responsible. I agree the animals do look in good condition, and I purchaseed my last carpet from them one month ago. Things have gone down hill since though and although the reptiles are in good health at the moment I would seriously reconsider purchasing from them after what I saw on Sunday.

Just to change the mood of the thread, went to a store here in the ACT that had blotchies, common BT, and a couple of dragons...... Nice fat happy lizards, i watched them as they were eating, even making sure the littler guys got food. Really clean tanks with plenty of hides and basking spots..... I felt proud watching the workers play with them.

Just thought i'd share that.....lol

yea, i went to one in melb. not so long ago.. an actual reptile shop, which i had heard was great. was dissapointed. every viv had poo, not just one, but some up to four. and the three guys in the shop were just standing around talking the whole time. there is no excuse for this. i will never buy from there..

lol , why couldnt the pet shop not knowing all of the above just put 2 scorps together [ not knowing] just to save space or what ever, they mate - one kills the other . dead one gets taken out ..... thats another spin on it .. lol
Now your just clutching at straws lol. But seriously they new what they were doing. All of their animals were in good conditions, the scorpions were doing well. They even had a care sheet that said they shouldn't be kept communally. Also if they cared enough to look for a captive bred source, I'm sure they would ask or the breeder will tell them important care details. Finaly the shop is located in prime Black Rock Country. Again which is more likely, a person who cares enough about their conservation to breed them successfully omitting an important detail like this, or they just walked the 400 metres to yoink a few out of the wild and lied to the well meaning rube.

Now your just clutching at straws lol. But seriously they new what they were doing. All of their animals were in good conditions, the scorpions were doing well. They even had a care sheet that said they shouldn't be kept communally. Also if they cared enough to look for a captive bred source, I'm sure they would ask or the breeder will tell them important care details. Finaly the shop is located in prime Black Rock Country. Again which is more likely, a person who cares enough about their conservation to breed them successfully omitting an important detail like this, or they just walked the 400 metres to yoink a few out of the wild and lied to the well meaning rube.
either way , unless u can prove it 100% then its just your opinion ;)

either way , unless u can prove it 100% then its just your opinion ;)

It's more an educated guess, based on the facts and what would be involved in both scenarios. Accepting that the most logical explanation is probably the one that has occured is a LOT different than purely forming an opinion on something.

I think Sigourd is likely to be right on the money with this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back