Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Steve, do you feel this thread is being conducted in an inappropriate manner? I have only heard people list their pet hates, not attack anyone for their mistakes.

Beaded Dragon
Breading
Stimpson Python instead of Stimson python.
using of instead of off.

Costal carpet instead of coastal carpet. The breading one is very annoying though.

I get peeved when people try to correct your spelling on words that they can't spell themselves.

Not this thread in particularly, but often People are quite rude in their criticism of other peoples grammar, I think these people are both ignorant and arrogant. I understand that the nit picking you referred to when you started this thread was in jest, I just think it can discourage others from participating on the forum if they don't feel their grammar is up to scratch, or will be overly criticized, regardless of whether what they have to contribute is of interest.

I get peeved when people try to correct your spelling on words that they can't spell themselves.

It's always good if you have little catchy rythyms and things to help you remember how to spell hard works like facetitious, though, hey? :lol:

Not this thread in particularly, but often People are quite rude in their criticism of other peoples grammar, I think these people are both ignorant and arrogant. I understand that the nit picking you referred to when you started this thread was in jest, I just think it can discourage others from participating on the forum if they don't feel their grammar is up to scratch, or will be overly criticized, regardless of whether what they have to contribute is of interest.

I agree with you, Steve, that there's no need to be rude or pretentious when replying to others' posts. That said, I also thinks it's terrible when kids (and, unformtunately, adults) are educated by today's digital-technology standards, and can only spell using abbreviated, misspelt "txt-isms". There's two sides to every coin.

This thread was intended to be light-hearted, fun, and perhaps even educational. Let's keep it that way, instead of digressing to negativity.

yes i have a few which i would like to express to all.

Its something with an ing not somethink you doobees

Sen 1116 at present, kevin bartlet and some other journalist call the tennis Wimbleton, it has a D in it not T, WimbleDon

and

my 7 year old daughter would like to tell those mungs at Masterchef that its called Butter not Budder

ffffffewwwwww, i feel better now

I hate it when kids (even though I am one) cut words down e.g. lyk dis
and when people say "I could care less" rather than "I couldn't care less"

You know what really really annoys me

is mobile phone speak....

i c wot u mean

how many cents are you saving really

it really really annoys me.....especially when people do it outside of a mobile phone.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Elizabeth

I don't think I would like you very much in the real world! :lol:
I like her very much!

I think all the other teachers on this site could take over this thread (I have a very long list).
I know alot of people get this one wrong.
I can't stand it when people end their sentences with 'and'. . . We went skiing and fishing and swimming and. What's with that?
People who use 'like' instead of 'said' . . . and she was like, "How are you?" And he was like, "Good."
I've had lots of kids write 'the sarvy' instead of 'this arvy'. Not a peeve of mine - just funny

Anyway, that's enough for now.

By the way Kristy - unfortunately for you unfortunately doesn't have an 'm' in it - unformtunately

I like her very much!

I think all the other teachers on this site could take over this thread (I have a very long list).
I know alot of people get this one wrong.
I can't stand it when people end their sentences with 'and'. . . We went skiing and fishing and swimming and. What's with that?
People who use 'like' instead of 'said' . . . and she was like, "How are you?" And he was like, "Good."
I've had lots of kids write 'the sarvy' instead of 'this arvy'. Not a peeve of mine - just funny

Anyway, that's enough for now.

By the way Kristy - unfortunately for you unfortunately doesn't have an 'm' in it - unformtunately

Oh! A lot -- that's one I hadn't thought of! Good one.

I am also a stickler for redundancy and superfluity. I'm sure this would also annoy the crap out of Matt, which makes me super-dooper uber happy! :D

my pet peeve has nothing to do with grammar

The idiots that park their cars in their own driveway,but right at the end covering the council strip and sometimes onto the road. If you are turning into a driveway, surely its not much harder to actually drive a little bit further up so pedestrians can actually use the council strip/ footpaths as they were intended

I'm a postie so u can see why it aggravates me so much more

excuse the grammer/spelling had a few drinks

When people pronounce "T" as "D" in words. I work at one of those 1234 places where you ring and ask for directions, or a listing.... and so often I get yelled at because I can't find the supposed address. :(

I had a rather illiterate ex boyfriend who had trouble pronouncing his own name, he would say Valentime, when it was clearly stated on his official documentation as Valentine.

A 16 year old friend of mine is so board at school she would rather be surfing on her bored.

Another pet peeve is having innocent typos mistaken for poor spelling.

I think people need to consider our language as if it's a living organism, constantly changing and evolving within the environment that it exists. Many of the shortcuts and errors etc that we see now, may be the norm and considered correct in the future. It is no different from the spoken word, when Europeans first settled in Australia the English language started to evolve. Speech all over the world has been influenced by the environment in which man has found himself, things such as heat, altitude, seasonal changes, occupation, famine, interaction with indigenous people in new lands and multiculturalism are all things that have influenced the way in which we communicate, these things also influence our accents. So it only makes sense that we will witness the English language, both spoken and written, evolve rapidly during the digital era.

I like to know how you can call a place Harvey Bay QLD when its spelt HERvey Bay? And Aussies say us kiwi's speak funny lmao

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back