Death of my python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

montay

Reaction score
Hi all - just wanted to share with a community who I think will understand. Today, I had to have my coastal female, Phoebe, euthanased.
At just under 8 foot, she was an amazing animal with a remarkably calm, unfussed temperament that made her a joy to have in my collection.
She wasn't the most valuable animal we have by far, but to me, she was priceless.
She succumbed to a nasty infection that unfortunately 'came with her' when I acquired her just before Christmas. The winter cooling turned off her immune system, as happens during brumation, and the bacteria in her system prevailed.
She had widespread pettichiae (micro-haemorrhages) on her body, and in her mouth, and the kindest thing to do was to end it for her today.
I am devastated. Empty.
Thanks to the team at BBEVS, MacGregor for their genuine sympathy and compassion.

thanks, guys.
It's a funny thing about snakes. They are such a maligned animal for most people, yet the overwhelming percentage on this forum would love snakes, in all their shapes and forms. I imagine that if I told my colleagues that I was terribly upset over the death of my animal today that they would look at me oddly. It's the type of grief you have to keep to yourself, of share amonst your fellow snake lovers ...

Know how you feel, really sucks loosing animals.
But at least you Know she is no longer suffering

I'm sorry to hear of your loss, I know how you feel.

soory to hear you loosing your pet hard but unfornatly it happens sometimes. know how you feel

That sux its really hard to put down animals ay, I had to put one of my pet rats to sleep and that was hard! I know a RAT! but they are socialble little pets and it was stil hard, sorry to hear of your loss

It's a tough gig and one that we are all faced with at some time. Take solace in the knowledge and comfort that you have had a great friend and have done the very best thing you could have. I commend you on that, well done, it's never easy. Now it's time to look back at the time you spent together and enjoy your other rep friends you have. Kindest regards Leigh

To me this would be the same as loosing a dog and my heart breaks for you - animals take a little bit of your heart with them and leave you with a big part of theirs
Cheers
Sandee :)

:( sometimes you gotta make the hardest but whats best decision for your pets ...this is one of those times where ,regardless of your emotional attachment ..you made the right choice...very sad for you, but best thing for her ...

Thanks to you all for your comments of support - it really does mean a lot to me.
We plan to bury her this morning.
I always wait 24 hours to bury/dispose of a euthanased reptile because they can rouse again, given the hit and miss nature of reptilian metabolism. Oh well, onwards and upwards - lots of cages to clean, 2 year olds to feed and the usual husbandry stuff that distracts you from the tragedies.
You are a good a community of people!
:)

i know how you feel mate i just had to do the same thing to my girl Bonnie last week its a heart wrencher

condolances to the both of you, terrible when these things happen. but it is sometimes the best decision at the end of the day... :(

Terribly sad thread, and my heart goes out to you Montay; but as you said, we are a community that really can sympathise with you. It's only a matter of time before every animal owner faces a similar predicament, and I'm sure everyone here would agree that it's NEVER easy. Even with all of our medical marvels, we still can't save every life...
As you'd know, the pain of loss will eventually fade with time...
Have you got any nice pics of her that you'd like to share? Would love to see your favourites.
My deepest condolences,
Nic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back