RSPCA vs Pet shop signs....

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok...

To kill the 'legality' issue:

Taken from:
http://www.derm.qld.gov.au/register/p00061aa.pdf

Minimum standards:
• Wild pythons usually kill their prey; however, it is preferable to feed freshly killed prey to captive pythons, as live prey has the capacity to injure, mutilate or even kill captive snakes.
• Under captive conditions it is desirable to feed pythons on domestic animals, as these are less likely to transmit parasites and disease.
Snakes feed most when young and growing. Hatchling pythons can be fed once per week during warm weather and less frequently throughout the winter, but only if adequate temperatures are provided (no wintering). Hatchling Children’s pythons Liasis childreni and others can consume pink mice, while hatchlings of larger species (e.g. carpet python) can consume weaner or adult mice.
• Adult carpet pythons and similar sized species will usually readily accept freshly killed rats or pigeons. For a 200cm python, two to three adult rats or pigeons constitute a meal that will sustain the snake for 8-10 days.
Under no circumstances must the feeding of live vertebrate animals be conducted as part of a public exhibition.
• All captive pythons must have access to water.

Other than no live feeding in a public exhibition - it's not illegal...

But it is still NOT recommended :)

It also says somewhere in there that you can feed live prey to your snake if it won't eat anything else (or words to that effect). I still agree it shouldn't be done and I like the idea of Slim6y changing their sign for them.

I haven't looked at legislation on the topic for while but the last time I looked live feeding is ok when the animal won't accept dead prey. I've personally feed live in ocassions where a snake would die due to starvation otherwise. Obviously commonsense comes into account live adult rats and snakes is a stupid idea whereas a week or two old commercial chicken under supervision isn't a big deal. But back to the main point the sign is a bit unnecessary

id be carefull if u are planning to cross anything out with texta , if they catch u they are likely to call the cops and have u charge with being a vandel or graffety

Meh. What are they gunna do? Hold you down while they call the cops and then keep you held down for maybe hours until they arrive ?

Do it slimey! Do it for the chicks!

How many are there? Maybe you can buy them...hehe

Slimey, is this the shop with the big mural on the side of the shop?

I have recently done some research on the matter of feeding live.

It is not actually illegal - if the health and wellbeing of the reptile is in question.
It is only PREFERRED/recommended to feed freshly killed or thawed frozen...

You are not allowed to feed live in front of an audience or just for the thrill of it.

It took me a while to find out this info - I started with the EPA - then ended up with the Code of practice of Captive reptile and amphibian husbandry ( just to name one source)
I also found similar info on another link -- just cannot remember how I found it.

Paula

from some one who was in the pet biz,
2 document you want to study

1 is the animal rights / cruelty act
2. is the pet shop code of conduct

these 2 document should give you the legal back ground that you need,
i think i pound about 6 or so individual points on where live feeding is illegal,

but you will need evidence to back it up, but once you have all that i think you would have a solid case

For those who say it isn't actually illegal.. it may be a state thing, but it IS illegal. There was a link posted up on a thread a few days back and it says that live feeding is ONLY to be undertaken when the animal will not eat anything else - i.e. only when the fed animal is at a health risk due to not eating. I will try and find it.

Slimy forget the texta mate they will just put up a new sign.

EDIT: here we go. Pay attention to point (f).. there is also somewhere else (I can't find it now) that talks about the food animal only being allowed to be fed live if the fed animal will absolutely not take any other food.

Part 3—Animal welfare offences​
13—Ill treatment of animals​
(1) If—
(a) a person ill treats an animal; and
(b) the ill treatment causes the death of, or serious harm to, the animal; and
(c) the person intends to cause, or is reckless about causing, the death of, or
serious harm to, the animal,
the person is guilty of an offence.
Maximum penalty: $50 000 or imprisonment for 4 years.
(2) A person who ill treats an animal is guilty of an offence.
Maximum penalty: $20 000 or imprisonment for 2 years.
(3) Without limiting the generality of subsection (1) or (2), a person ill treats an animal if
the person—
(a) intentionally, unreasonably or recklessly causes the animal unnecessary harm;
or
(b) being the owner of the animal—
(i) fails to provide it with appropriate, and adequate, food, water, living
conditions (whether temporary or permanent) or exercise; or
(ii) fails to take reasonable steps to mitigate harm suffered by the animal;
or
(iii) abandons the animal; or
(iv) neglects the animal so as to cause it harm; or
(c) having caused the animal harm (not being an animal of which that person is
the owner), fails to take reasonable steps to mitigate the harm; or
(d) uses the animal in an organised animal fight; or
(e) releases the animal from captivity for the purpose of it then being hunted or
killed; or
(f) causes the animal to be killed or injured by another animal; or
(g) kills the animal in a manner that causes the animal unnecessary pain; or
(h) unless the animal is unconscious, kills the animal by a method that does not
cause death to occur as rapidly as possible; or
(i) carries out a medical or surgical procedure on the animal in contravention of
the regulations; or
(j) ill treats the animal in any other manner prescribed by the regulations for the
purposes of this section.​
Animal Welfare Act 1985—1.2.2010​
Part 3—Animal welfare offences
8 This version is not published under the​
Legislation Revision and Publication Act 2002 [1.2.2010]

here ya go philk, I think the most important thing here is that if people have to feed live for the below reasons they do it responsibly

43 Animals used to feed another animal​
It is an offence exemption for an offence for a person if—
(a) the act that constitutes the offence involves using an
animal (the​
food animal) as live food for another animal
(the
fed animal); and
(b) the food animal and the fed animal are both lawfully
kept by the person; and
(c) the fed animal will only eat the food animal if it is alive;
and
(d) feeding the food animal to the fed animal is essential for

the fed animal’s survival.

Make up your own sign, "Perhaps a chick pecking a python in the eye" With the tag line, "keep the one eyed python in your pants" Don't feed live) But to make sure you hit your target demographic, you might want to hang one up at the bottle shop near the bourbon and coke udl's as well.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back